Welcome back, prep hoops fans!
With most of our squads at a minimum of 17 games played we are starting to figure out some squads identities and league play is causing separation.
Not so lucky in that crazy Centennial League where there's something unpredictable every week it seems ... they are beating each other up! Or is that making eachother tougher for the playoff run? New 4A No. 1 squad and that 5A No. 1 just quietly taking care of their business: Rangeview Raiders undisputed at 17-0 and The Fever Crew got to see them last week!
The Look Back
Thursday, Jan. 30
The Game of the Night 9News Facebook Live found the Fever Crew out northeast with Blake Olson for a real treat of the No. 1 Rangeview Raiders visiting league foe Vista Peak.
Rangeview started the first quarter with a quick 6-0 start but Vista answered with a 7-0 run of their own to get their capacity crowd into it.
AJ Lacabe's 12 points and Sayo Owolabi's 14 kept the Bison around but the Raiders' spurts and open floor plays were just too much to overcome along with the Speller twins combining for 30 points in the 57-47 Raiders' win.
Watch the highlights here:
— Blake Olson (@BlakeOlson1) February 2, 2020
The Look Ahead
Tuesday, Feb. 4
- A little early 6:30 p.m. city action in Denver West and Thomas Jefferson. The Spartans were at our No. 10 spot but that was short-lived as they didn't make the cut this week and will try to take it out on the Cowboys.
- Vista Peak, who as previously mentioned don't have all the size in the world but certainly have the heart, look to take some frustration of last week's loss to No. 1 out on Northglenn, who's looking for just their 4th win.
- Longmont, at 14-2, earned two more wins last week and remains the No. 3-ranked squad in 4A, face Silver Creek.
- Oooohhh we love this city ball here! No need for the "shot clock" demand when Lincoln and 5A No. 10 Denver East get it on! East bounced back last week after losses to Valor and Pomona. They'll have to slow down TJ Bamba and their own three headed monster of Reynolds, Davis, and Stanton will have to show up big here. The Lancers with once loss in league play look to give the Angels their first.
- Throw the records out the window when Chap and Regis have their Continental meeting. Always seems to go down to the wire!
- Speaking of that No. 1 Rangeview squad ... Coach Palmer will get everyone in as they face Adams City who is win-less so far this season.
- RIVALRY down South! No. 5 Pueblo West and Pueblo East get acquainted once again!
- No. 4 Northfield earned a signature win for the school over GW last week and look to keep the momentum rolling vs. Regis Groff.
- A little late 7:30 p.m. action for Cheyenne Mountain and Discovery Canyon. Cheyenne Mountain's Javonte Johnson continues the unreal pace of 30 points per game and the squad won't be happy losing their No. 1 spot in 4A to Mead without a loss. The voters chimed in on that one, I guess!
- If 8 p.m. action is your thing check out a 16-2 Pine Creek squad who is starting to garner Top 10 votes vs. Rampart.
Wednesday, Feb. 5
- Wednesday means #CentennialTough action and there's none tougher that Overland and Cherry Creek. Creek has made it's way to No. 6 in 5A and 13-4 overall record. The Trailblazers have been strong even without their big man Graham Ike but need to be special in this one to keep pace in league play as Creek has a sole league loss.
- Eaglecrest has slid to No. 9 in 5A after splitting league games last week and they'll look to start this week off right vs. Mullen.
- Smoky lost two tough ones last week and it may look like it's time to get "well" vs. a Cherokee Trail squad that is 3-14 but don't let the record think this will be an easy one. The Cougars were actually up by 19 points over Eaglecrest last week before losing the lead but they are very capable of competing.
- So tempting to call this HUGE league game a 5A Top 10 battle but Columbine just missed the Top 10 this week and they'll be hosting new No. 3 Ralston Valley, who will be looking to stay unbeaten in league. The Rebels' gym will be rocking Wednesday! Caleb Rillos 18-point, 10-rebound double-double season average is IMPRESSIVE but we know how impressive senior Luke O'Brien can be, as well.
- Golden is up a spot to No. 8 in 4A and they'll face Standley Lake looking to improve on their 2-0 previous week.
- Grandview has shot up to No. 2 in 5A and playing as well as any team in the state. Senior led by Lian Romero and Caleb McGill have now been joined by CJ Thomas who has made a college commitment, as well. They'll face Arapahoe who has a college-bound guard in Bryson Stephens who will have to be big on this night.
Thursday, Feb. 6
- Another stud young man averaging a double double of 17 points and 10 rebounds per game is Nahsyah Bolar of No. 4 Northfield and they'll need all of that as they look for another big win over 4A and league foe Lincoln.
- No rest for Columbine after a heavy weight tangle with Ralston Valley they immediate get a tough Mountain Vista squad right away.
- Pueblo West, No. 5 4A, faces Pueblo Centennial this night.
- Two good choices in Continental league that will alter standings in ThunderRidge at Highlands Ranch and Chap vs Rock Canyon ... always solid league rivals.
Friday, Feb. 7
- That Wednesday/Friday Home & Away league play gets us rolling again in Friday! This time Cherry Creek, whose football studs Julian Hammond and Myles Purchase combined for 40 points in the Bruins' upset of Smoky Hill last week, look to shut down Mullen.
- Also in Centennial the Fever Crew watched Arapahoe unleash full court pressure to erase a large deficit at Eaglecrest and make it a very close game in their first match. The Warriors are on Dry Creek & University this time and will test the Raptors again.
- Cheyenne Mountain EXPLODED for a 33-point third quarter in their first match Jan. 17, leading to an 18-point win over Palmer Ridge. We'll see if the Bears can put up a better fight at home this time.
- No. 3 Longmont gets it on with Niwot on the road which is never an easy visit.
- No. 2 Grandview faces a Cherokee Trail squad we've documented is better than that three-win record shows.
- Heavyweight bout as Smoky Hill visits Overland. The No. 4 Buffaloes slight struggles against "tough" teams is what social media says of late ... here's a chance to win a big "lunch pail" game!
- Pomona has a HUGE upset on its resume with a win over Denver East and you better believe taking down No. 3 Ralston Valley would mean even more!
- Trey Ward's 15 points per game is leading the new No. 1 Mead Mavericks in 4A who beat Frederick by 9 in the first match up on the road and look to score even more on their home floor.
- If you're up north we don't have to tell you that Fort Collins and Fossil Ridge will be a FUN atmosphere regardless of rankings or records ... what the Fever Crew calls Braggin' Rights!
- Need a 7:30 p.m. night cap?!! Aurora Central, with one league loss, will take its shot at No. 1 Rangeview. Might have to make a late visit to North Peoria Street for this one.
Saturday, Feb. 8
- Interesting one with No. 3 Longmont doing a late season non-league visit to Discovery Canyon ... not an easy spot to get a W.
- Welcome Green Mountain to the 4A Top 10 and they look to roll again vs. Standley Lake who has not won in league play as of yet.
- Not what it used to be (GET OFF MY LAWN!) but the ThunderDome will host the Denver East vs. FNE (Montbello) annual get down!
- Golden has the 3 p.m. action hosting Evergreen.
- Need some evening 6:30 p.m. action Rampart makes a rare visit to Highlands Ranch.
A few cold nights ahead folks, but remember, it's ALWAYS 72 & Sunny in the gym! Enjoy, get out and support ...