Welcome back hoops fans! Based on the early tournament and non-league action we will once again be in for a stellar year for big school 5A/4A boys hoops.
Due to a wonderful addition to the Trotman Family (Ms. Nailah Anne Desiree aka NAD) and the expansion of our personal business we won't be able to spend as much # BallFever time with you as we've done in the past, but I believe the Digital Media Guru (Ryan Casey) and I have devised a new plan and format that you will like!
We'll be doing more a "Look Ahead" preview of the top teams that will include the week's new Monday rankings along with some tidbits from the previous week. And of course keeping an eye out for those "monsta" double-double and high scoring team/individual performances!
We've also been invited back as a guest commentator on thegameofthenight.com 9News Facebook Live action this year with our Ball Fever buddy, Blake Olson. Let's get to it!
The Look Back
Friday, Dec. 6
What's better than getting the year started with Blake Olson and crew at the first home game of the No. 1 team in the statee? Nothing!
The only issue we ran into was COLD shooting from our preseason No. 1 Rangeview and No. 3 Grandview. At one point the teams were a combined 2-of-24 from 3-point land and the stands were raging "get the ball inside!"
Grandview did establish some inside presence with their stud, UC-Davis bound Caleb McGill along with CSU-Pueblo bound Liam Romero's penetration, but in the end the "Speller twins" Christian and Christopher of the No. 1 Raiders created some late game transition opportunities that sealed the low-scoring 38-37 win for Rangeview.
Impressed with Raiders senior Jovaughn Wright, who kicked in 12 important points displaying a nice stroke from mid-range. He'll help the Raiders a ton this year in their quest to repeat.
The Look Ahead
Tuesday, Dec. 10
- Fossil Ridge, who came out of their early tourney 2-1, face 1-3 Poudre who will be hungry for a win. Coach Matt Johannsen does a great job each year with the "GoJo Sports Tip Off Classic" tournament!
- Check out the results, including all tournament team:
The 2019 version of the GoJo Sports Tip-Off classic at Fossil Ridge is in the books!
Shout out to all the teams who made it happen. Best of luck this season! @DenverEastHoops @DRHS_Athletics @PoudreHoops @TVEagles Vista Ridge Northglenn Mountain View pic.twitter.com/CxSYhnTnwq
— Matt Johannsen (@sabercathoops) December 7, 2019
- Denver East took home the title up north and sitting pretty at 3-0, No. 5 in the state. The Angels are young but they are stacked with talent with young sophs Langston Reynolds and Quise Davis along with junior Boston Stanton. Senior leader Patrick Steed is off to a blazing start at 17 points per game, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists! Perhaps even more impressive is Reynolds leading the team in scoring at 24 points per game as a soph! No surprise in the Fever camp, our crew has watched this young man closely since 6th grade! Tough duty for Mesa Ridge Tuesday, who's still looking for their first win.
- There's a little nice non conference action between FNE (Montbello) and Chatfield. This may be a 9News Game of the Night so we'll have a lot more info on these two next week!
- Pretty rare to see a Regis team off to an 0-3 start but two of those losses came to solid teams in out of state tourney play in Arizona and the other loss to our state's No. 2 Overland in a tight game. Boulder and Regis will be solid action with teams who have great fan support.
- Eaglecrest comes in at No. 6 this week at 2-0. We know the "two-sport-stud" Ty Robinson who is one of the best overall athletes our state has seen along side another high flying junior Skylar Wilson, both scoring 11 points per game early but look out for senior guard Zion Ruckard, who is at 18 per game early. Cant wait to see these guys go. The Raptors visit Douglas County who is 2-2 tonight.
- If you need some action down south there's Pueblo West, who dropped from the 4A top 10, tangling with Sierra!
- Mountain Vista advanced to the Coliseum last year, 2-0 early, and ranked No. 3, will face Dakota Ridge who's being led by Gino Corridori's 17 points per game and the highlight reel known as Taeshaud Jackson Jr.
- In an intriguing possible "Game of the Night" type action we have a 5A/4A tussle in No. 4 Grandview visiting 4A No. 5 Lincoln. The senior college bound athletes from Grandview vs. some hungry seniors in Ty Foster and TJ Bamba for the Lancers. Bamba off to a blazing 30 points per game!
Wednesday, Dec. 11
- Smoky Hill starts this week at No. 7 in the rankings. Hate to miss the A-Town/Denver battle they'll have with GW early in the week but that should set them up just fine for this visit to Legacy, who's looking for that first win. Senior Quinten Rock is leading the Buffs early at 14 points per outing along with junior Jalen Weaver at 13 points so far. Weaver, with a college offer from UMASS, picked up an offer from Montana State this week! Impressive for the junior stud the Fever Crew refers to as "da problem!"
- Legend got 6 "Top 10" votes in this weeks poll but not enough to crack the top 10. Two young and gritty squads will battle in this game that has been moved to Cherokee Trail.
- Part of the Chap/TRidge "Tip Off Classic" two teams surprisingly looking for that elusive first win in ThunderRidge and Grand Junction will help get the tourney action started! Keep in mind the Grizzlies two early losses came to top 10 squads. Coach Ortiz will get the Grizz right!
- If you want exciting guard play make time to check out Chaparral. They dropped from our Top 10 this week but senior Kobe Sanders and exciting sophomore Jeremiah Coleman are catching eyes and making highlights already. They host FNE (Montbello) in the Tip Off Wednesday.
- GW comes in at No. 10 this week and started season 3-0 behind talented junior Kendale Johnson leading the team in scoring, steals, and assists through first three wins. The Patriots will make a rare trek out to Mullen on this night.
Thursday, Dec. 12
- 4A Thomas Jefferson came in at No. 8 in preseason poll but dropped out after a 3-1 start. The Spartans travel to 1-1 Longmont and the scoring machine Darius Hornbuckle is one to keep an eye on for the Spartans here.
- As discussed previously, throw Regis' record out the window (especially when they play at home) and the place will be rockin' with No. 1 Rangeview in the house!
- Cherry Creek is in at No. 9 5A and hoop fans know they've started without some absolute studs who just won a 5A state football title and will be ready to prove the trip to the Coliseum last year was no accident. While missing these football "two sport studs" Thomas Hawley has led the scoring and we have a "Freshman Alert" with Christian Hammond getting some minutes and leading the team with 2.3 steals per game. The Bruins are headed to Boulder.
- The Canyon Crazies will be ready when Dakota Ridge comes to visit. Jalen Ashley off to a strong 15 points per game for 2-1 Jags.
- Down south is strong in 4A once again this year and Harrison starting out at No. 3 this week and 3-0. Donta Dawson, a junior, pouring in 17 points per game and the Panthers head to D'Evelyn on this night.
- Two of our state's best in Graham Ike of Overland and CU commit Luke O'Brien (avg 26 points per game early) will be on display. Columbine right on the verge of cracking our Top 10 and they'll get a chance to prove it this night.
- Lewis-Palmer is No. 1 again in 4A and the defending champs. Will be fun to see this squad that lost a ton of talented seniors but they are back and Cameron Lowe is leading scorer headed into this match vs. Sierra.
Friday, Dec. 13
- Ponderosa tournament action brings in No. 10 4A Pueblo East vs. relatively new school Regis Groff.
- Up north? How about a little Fossil Ridge vs. Fort Collins Friday night action?
- Boulder travelling to No. 3 Mountain Vista is solid.
- A ton of undetermined Friday night match ups due to tourney play and how things play out. We'll keep you updated via twitter! Give us a follow:
Saturday, Dec. 14
- Rampart takes its shot at No. 1 Rangeview if you're in need of some 2 pm Saturday action!
- Mead (No. 4) and Longmont (No. 10) are no strangers and it's even better when both squads are Top 10! Trey Ward leading Mead in scoring at 18 points and almost 4 steals per game.
- Regis visits Cherry Creek! Will the football studs have their basketball legs and return? Can't wait!
- Lincoln with a rare trip to 5A Mullen at 5 pm! The Fever Crew is liking the non-conference challenges for both schools early on.
- 5A Doherty hosts 4A No. 1 Lewis-Palmer. Throw classification out the window: "braggin' rights!"
Week 1 was a little light folks, but as you can see, Week 2's non-conference and tourney action will be filled with good hoops!
Go out and enjoy! #BallFever