The 8-man football championship game is Saturday in Fowler, matching Sedgwick County against Fowler.
Here's a breakdown of the game:
(1) Sedgwick County vs. (3) Fowler
- Date: Saturday
- Time: 1 p.m.
- Location: Fowler High School
- Watch the game live on the NFHS Network
- The game is a match up two unbeaten teams, as both are 12-0.
- They have not met this season, and haven't played since the 2017 quarterfinals, in a game that was also at Fowler. Sedgwick County won that match, 44-6.
- That 2017 game was the only time they've ever met in the postseason, according to the Colorado Preps playoff database.
- This will be Sedgwick County's fifth-straight appearance in a championship game, and fifth as a co-op program. Prior to the co-op Julesburg went to four title games, and Revere went to 12.
- This will be Fowler's sixth state championship appearance, and first since 1998. Their first came in 1957.
Sedgwick County notes:
- Record: 12-0
- Seed: No. 1
- Mascot: Cougars
- Offense: They are averaging 54.83 points per game.
- Defense: They haven't surrendered a point in their past five games, including the entire postseason, and are giving up just 3.5 points per game. They have eight shutouts this season, which is tied for the eighth-most in state history.
- The team opts to not put any stats into MaxPreps, so a detailed breakdown of Sedgwick County is not available.
- Sedgwick County is seeking to become the first team, ever, in 8-man to win five consecutive state titles. Only two teams have ever won five-straight state championships: Valor Christian (2009-13), and Limon, which won six-straight from 1963-68.
- Record: 12-0
- Seed: No. 3
- Mascot: Grizzlies
- Rushing offense: 3,818 yards and 62 touchdowns. Both figures lead the 8-man division by a wide margin.
- Passing offense: 1,087 yards and 15 touchdowns. The yards are the fifth-most in 8-man, and the touchdowns are the fourth-most.
- Scoring: They are averaging 50.08 points per game.
- Defense: The defense has forced 24 turnovers, including 15 interceptions, which is the third-most of any 8-man team. They are allowing 10.58 points per game, and have two shutouts.
- Special teams: Braxton Bates is 11-of-12 on PATs, and has not attempted a field goal so far this season.
- Top players: Luke Bitter has thrown for 990 yards and 13 touchdowns. He's also run for 562 yards and 10 more scores. They have two great running backs in Joshua Daniels and Jackson Bates: Daniels has rushed for 1,190 yards and 21 touchdowns; Bates has rushed for 1,169 yards and 19 touchdowns. Johnathan Mobley is the Grizzlies' top receiver with 310 yards and five touchdowns. Defensively, Gabriel Proctor leads the team with 156 tackles, and also has two interceptions. Orin Carnes has a team-high six sacks. Braxton Bates leads the way with six interceptions.