Lutheran stunned third-ranked Green Mountain with a 19-15 upset victory in Class 3A.
Brandon Belgrave had an 85-yard kickoff return for a score to open the game, and he added an 80-yard rushing touchdown later in the second quarter.
After Lutheran went up 6-0, Green Mountain and their star QB Trey Towndrown responded with a 10-yard TD on the ground to take a 7-6 lead.
It stayed that way until Belgrave's second-quarter touchdown, which allowed Lutheran to take a 12-7 lead into halftime.
Towndrow struck again for Green Mountain in the third, this time on a 3-yard rushing touchdown, and the Rams added a two-point conversion to go ahead 15-12.
But Lutheran wasn't done. The Lions' Max Rivkin found Andre Norman for a 30-yard touchdown with four minutes left in the third quarter, giving their team a 19-15 lead they wouldn't relinquish.
Both teams are now 2-1.
Highlights, via 9News:
5A: (7) Eaglecrest 27, Legacy 24
Eaglecrest rallied from a 17-7 halftime hole, and down 24-7 in the third quarter, to win the back-and-forth contest — thanks in large part to 20 unanswered points.
Max Marsh had for three total touchdowns, including two in the final quarter, to help the Raptors rally and win.
Eaglecrest, led by Marsh, grabbed an early lead on a 2-yard run by Marsh in the first quarter. Legacy kicked a field goal to make it 7-3 going to the second.
In the second, Brayden Harris hit Jacob Duran for a 33-yard passing touchdown, and then Braelon Tate rushed for a 2-yard score to put Legacy ahead 17-7.
The Lightning pushed their lead to 24-7 when Harris hit Jaiden Peterson for a 2-yard touchdown with about five minutes to play in the third quarter.
And yet Eaglecrest was unfazed. David Creal rushed for an 8-yard score in the third to make it 24-14 going to the fourth.
And then Marsh did his thing with a 63-yard rushing touchdown, cutting the lead to 24-21, and then a 55-yard passing score to Ty Robinson, to give his team the lead — and the win.
Highlights, via 9News:
5A: (2) Cherry Creek 31, (8) Pomona 17
After going down 7-0 in the first quarter, Cherry Creek grabbed a 17-7 lead through three, and then went on to beat Pomona in the top-10 showdown.
5A: (5) Regis Jesuit 30, Mullen 21
The Raiders rallied to beat their rival after trailing 21-14 at halftime.
"Anytime we play Mullen ... both teams come ready to play," Regis Jesuit coach Danny Filleman told the Colorado Preps Scoreboard Show. "It's just a rivalry where no one is going to give up and no one is going to give in."
"We just stuck with it and our kids just kept playing," Filleman added. "They kept fighting until the end. It shows the character of this team."
Highlights from the game:
2A: Elizabeth 29, Machebeuf 22 (2 OT)
In a game dominated by defense, Elizabeth escaped with a double-OT victory. Highlights:
- Wiggins alum Dalton Risner stopped by for Wiggins' 46-0 win over Lyons. Photos from the game are available here.
- Poudre stunned 5A No. 9 Cherokee Trail in OT, 28-21. Here's video from the Coloradoan.
- Top-10 matchup in 3A: No. 2 Mead beat No. 8 Roosevelt 34-21.
- Castle View beat Douglas County 28-3 to win their rivalry game for the fifth consecutive season. The Saber Cats are now 4-0, their best start since 2011.
- Air Academy freshman Sam Beers rushed for more than 250 yards and seven touchdowns in a win over George Washington.
- "Our kids really work hard in Basalt, and I think it really shows on Friday nights," Basalt coach Carl Frerichs told the Scoreboard Show of his team's 3-0 start. The Longhorns, No. 9 in 2A, beat Pagosa Springs 39-19.
- Silver Creek upset 4A No. 9 Windsor 17-14, and is now 3-0 after winning three games last season. "We've got a group of kids that have bought in," coach Brian McGee told the Scoreboard Show. "They've worked hard all summer, they've done everything we've asked them to do, and they're committed to what we're trying to accomplish."
- Two 2A top-10 teams fell to out-of-state opponents. No. 2 Sterling lost to Scottsbluff, Neb., 36-13, and No. 10 Bayfield lost to Aztec, N.M., 16-14.
- Lamar knocked off 1A No. 8 Burlington 43-27.
- In 8-man, Vail Christian upset No. 7 Rangely 34-22.
- Rye, No. 10 in 1A, is 4-0 for the first time in a decade.
- 5A No. 10 Fairview football traveled to the Springs and beat Doherty.
- In a thriller, Wheat Ridge beat Arvada West in 2 OTs.
- 4A No. 5 Dakota Ridge clipped Vista Ridge.
- Photos: Regis Jesuit/Mullen.
- Photos: Wiggins/Lyons.
- Photos: Niwot/Littleton.
- Photos: Chaparral/Lakewood.
- Photos: Grandview/Fountain-Fort Carson.
- Photos: Cherry Creek/Pomona.
- An updated top-10 scoreboard, and Saturday's schedule.
- All scores from Friday night, and a full Saturday slate.
- Updated RPI standings.