Hoop fans! It is here: the final week of the regular season. RPI Standings, league titles, and playoff momentum is what our final week is all about.
It's only midweek but we have a few leagues that have already been decided! Let's take a look at how it played out:
The Look Back
Monday, Feb. 11
- Northridge hung in early vs. No. 2 Longmont, but a 24-3 second quarter looked more like what the Trojans have been doing to everyone on this undefeated run. Final score 73-38 with four players in double figure scoring led by Calvin Seamons 16.
- Smoky Hill came in at No. 6 in this week's coaches poll and even without their stud Kenny Foster they pulled away from Arapahoe 73-48 with their young sophs leading the way as Jordan Whittaker scored 14, Maurice Walker 13, and junior Quentin Rock 11. Balance was on display for the Buffaloes, who won without their leader!
- Grandview is getting tuned up for a major showdown at Eaglecrest on Wednesday but they were focused and didn't look past Creek, with Caleb McGill doing the "stat-stuffin": 18 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals in the 17-point road win!
- Speaking of stats how about Javonte Johnson performing again for No. 7 Cheyenne Mountain with a 24 point, 10 rebound double-double in the 91-75 race the Indians won over Falcon.
- Eaglecrest in at No. 10 couldn't look past ever improving Mullen in their 15-point win on the road where Aaron Bokol and Ty Robinson once again paced the Raptors in double figure scoring.
- More Centennial action as Overland is now up to No. 3 in our coaches poll and 30 combined points from leaders Hezekiah Swanson and Graham Ike carry the Blazers to a 23 point win over C Trail.
- Arvada West was tested by Chatfield but keep their Jeffco League hopes alive 54-51.
Tuesday, Feb. 12
- No. 1 Chaparral got a surprising test from Heritage and good looking soph Terrence Ferguson scored 15 points for the Eagles, but Chap countered with three in double-figure scoring, led by big Bryce Matthews' 18 point, 11 rebound double-double! Chap wins it by 8.
- Continued "southern dominance" by No. 1 Lewis-Palmer and 39 combined points from seniors Matt Ragsdale and Joel Scott fueled another league win, over Air Academy this time.
- Legend was up at halftime over No. 7 ThunderRidge but a dominant second half by the Grizz earned a 13-point home win with Bailey Verk kicking in 17 points!
- No. 5 Pueblo West won their rivalry game in a BIG way over Pueblo South 75-48...Max Preps recap here.
- Ben Grusing "turned up" with 22 points for No. 2 Mountain Vista and the Eagles needed all of it in the tight two point win over Rock Canyon!
- Mead looks awfully ready for their 4A top-5 rematch with Holy Family Thursday as they sprang a 40-point win over Erie to prepare!
- No. 8 Lincoln has the ability to give any 4A squad trouble as we enter the playoffs and TJ Bamba's 21 points was a big part of the Lancers pulling away from North.
- No. 9 Wheat Ridge's run has been well documented but Evergreen must have been tired of hearing about it as they pulled off a 53-40 late-season upset.
- Daniel Carr continued his double-double mission for hot Regis with 22 points as the Raiders got a well earned win vs. a game Highlands Ranch squad on the road. Catch this game in full here with Blake Olson on the Game of the Night.
- Fossil Ridge has steadily improved over the season but as our guy Brad Cochi is all over Fairview left little doubt in their claim on the league title.
Wednesday, Feb. 13
The Fever Crew had some fun at Eaglecrest's senior night with No. 5 Grandview visiting in a Centennial Top-10 match-up.
The Raptors rode the emotion of the night early but Grandview quickly settled and took control in second quarter along with building on that lead in the third. Once the Wolves get a lead, they have a deep roster that can spread you out and run clock or pound the ball inside and run sets to Caleb McGill and Dayne Prim.
his night was sparked by the sharp perimeter shooting of junior guard Lian Romero, who knocked down every 3-point look behind the arc in the 21-point road win to put Grandview in the Centennial league drivers seat. We were the guest of 9News Game of the Night with Blake Olson and you can catch all the action here.
In other games:
- Seniors Jackson Hayslip and Spencer Conway score 21 each for Greeley Central, who took unbeaten Longmont to overtime but in their usual closeout manner, the Trojans closed out the OT session 11-2 to win by 9 on the road and complete an unbeaten regular season! Defending champs ready for the brackets!
- No. 6 Smoky Hill was down double digits to Mullen but made a strong late run only to come up short by 2-points 76-74. Mullen's improvement will really be put to the test Friday night at Overland! Christian Davis, a real scorer for Mullen, hit the game-winner to seal this big win for the Mustangs.
- The Creek Bruins' big 3 of Hammonds, Purchase, and Cole scored in double figures with soph Julian Hammond leading with 18 but "at Overland" is not a thing a team wants to hear this time of year and the Blazers closed this one out by 18.
- In 5A league title action Columbine was down at the half to Arvada West but used a 11-3 third quarter advantage to turn the tide on a game Arvada West squad to secure the league title!
REBELS CLINCH BACK-TO-BACK LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS! Rebels defeat Arvada West and lock up 1st place in 5A Jeffco. Last game of the regular season is Friday @ Chatfield. pic.twitter.com/W43IFreHmt
— Columbine Basketball (@_RebsBasketball) February 14, 2019
A few more league titles to be secured and more importantly RPI Standings to be settled in our final three days of the season. Come Sunday? It's "Bracketology Time" ... can't wait!
Get out and enjoy the final few days, folks!