Welcome back, hoops fans! Here is your end of the week recap for Week 10 and the preview of our final week of the regular season.
Proud to be your one-stop-shop for all the 5A/4A big school action...let's dive in:
The Look Back
Friday, Feb. 8
The Fever Crew made it out to No. 2 Mountain Vista hosting No. 10 Regis who have been on a tear as of late until a stumble vs. Legend.
It was a tale of two halves for the Eagles who were ice cold from the perimeter in the first half against the Regis zone, and only managed 4 points in the second quarter.
Despite the Eagles finding their range in the second half, there was no answer on the inside for Daniel Carr and Matt Wheelock. Carr finished with an 18-point, 11-rebound double-double and Wheelock only scored 4 points, but bullied 10 important rebounds and brought energy.
If it wasn't Carr doing work outside, it was smooth Jamil Safieddiene, who had 18 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals!
Regis is turning into a tough playoff match up and better than last weeks No. 10 ranking showed.
In other action:
- Defending champ Longmont has many players who can get it done on both ends and this night it was Calvin Seamons 23 points and 6 rebounds that earned No. 2's 21st win of the season, 75-49 over Mountain View.
- Fairview held the No. 8 spot last week and the Knights were hitting on all cylinders, burying Greeley West by 33 with junior Jalen Page scoring 18.
- "30-piece" alert! And make that a 38-point, 11-rebound effort for No. 7 Lincoln's James Felton vs. a game Montbello (FNE) squad in the 80-75 home win in league play. Quite a senior night for Felton!
- A bit of a shocker and upset here with Air Academy beating 4A No. 7 Cheyenne Mountain by 14! Senior Justin Graham scored 25 in the win and Javonte Johnson 22 in the loss.
- A couple days after signing his baseball letter of intent for college big Bryce Matthews led No. 1 Chaparral to another league win over No. 4 ThunderRidge and our Ball Fever pal Kevin Keyser has the sweet images of the 11-point win
- Our guy Dennis Pleuss covering the historic season for Wheat Ridge hoops as they roll again over D'Evelyn
Saturday, Feb. 9
We were surprised Overland didn't rise higher than 7 in last week's poll but it will happen after another strong week for Coach Fisher's group, who took down No. 3 Smoky Hill at home Saturday.
The Fever Crew was in the house and thoroughly impressed with the improvement and footwork of big Graham Ike, who scored 18 and pulled down 11 boards for another double-double. As if Graham wasn't enough on the inside, Alexander Pena-Avila added 17 points hitting from the perimeter and inside.
Very impressed with the Blazers supporting cast! We know the names of Hezekiah Swanson and Ike but believe us when we say Overland has A LOT more!
We were blessed to be on the call with Blake Olson 9News game of the night...catch the action here.
In other games:
- Our 4A "sleeper" Mead was running and gunning again with 11 players hitting the scoring column, led by Will Maher's 17 in the blowout of Roosevelt by 30.
- 5A No. 9 Eaglecrest took down Arapahoe by 18 in #CentennialTough play and here's a sweet video recap posted on our partner MaxPrep's site.
- The man with the mid-range game, Tanner Baird, was at it again scoring 20 for Holy Family who beat Windsor by 20!
- Quincy Jewett with another double-double and Christian Speller kicked in 17 points for Rangeview, who again won by 30-plus at Vista Peak!
- Grandview, last week's 5A No. 5, used a second half surge to hold off improving Mullen and keep itself in the drivers seat at 9-2 in league play
The Look Ahead
Monday, Feb. 11
- Arvada West vs. Chatfiled
- Niwot vs. Centaurus
- Longmont looking for 22-0 vs. Northridge
- Bear Creek/Columbine Jeffco!
- Smoky Hill looks to bounce back vs. Arap...
- Cherokee Trail tries to test Overland!
- Somebody gets win 14 in Eaglecrest/Mullen
- Cheyenne Mountain hungry vs. Falcon!
Tuesday, Feb. 12
- No. 1 Chaparral vs. Heritage...
- Surging Regis vs. Highlands Ranch!
- Our 4A "sleeper" Mead vs. Erie
- Rangeview rollin' & face Northglenn
- ThunderRidge looks to get back on track vs. Legend
- Air Academy off big win try to test "big dawg" No. 1 Lewis-Palmer!
- Rock Canyon slow grind vs. Mountain Vista get out & go...
- Holy Family gets Skyline!
- Wheat Ridge 4A power vs. Evergreen
- Pueblo West vs. Pueblo South RIVALRY
Wednesday, Feb. 13
- Longmont vs. Greeley Central looks good!
- Smoky Hill vs. Mullen
- Cherry Creek vs. Overland as well!
- Grandview vs. Eaglecrest is heavy weight action!
Thursday, Feb. 14
- Fairview/Boulder RIVALRY action!
- Ooooh it's rematch time: Mead vs. Holy Family!
- Wheat Ridge vs. Golden
- Another rematch: No. 1 Lewis-Palmer and Cheyenne Mountain
Friday, Feb. 15
- Party IN PARKER: No. 1 Chap vs. Legend!
- C-Trail & Grandview Centennial!
- Mountain Vista/T-Ridge Continental Top 10!
- Rangeview & Gateway Aurora braggin' rights
- Regis vs. Ponderosa...
- Eaglecrest/Smoky Hill fun!
- Mullen vs. Overland with big men getting it on!
- Pueblo Centennial vs. Pueblo West southern action...
Saturday, Feb. 16 - Final day of REGULAR SEASON!!
- Wheat Ridge closes vs. Standley Lake
- Denver East/GW city pride!!
- Thomas Jefferson vs. The Bellos (FNE)
- Holy Family vs. Berthoud
Wow, our awesome athletes have treated us to another great regular season and some pretty good coaches have improved their teams over the regular season. Can't wait to to see who it pays off for come playoff time!