The weather cancellations and closures slowed our mid-week action but the sun is shining and we are back in action!
We delayed the early report by a day to get a few more games in, and with the down time with had a little fun with our first ever "Power 10" ... yeah, we know: "Can't make everybody happy" when it comes to rankings!
Let's take a look.
The Look Back
Monday, Feb. 4
- How about a "30-piece" to start the week?!! Orlando Westbrook-Sanchez III did just that, dropping 33 points for Harrison on 75% shooting as his team took down Widefield 68-60. Another of those "super sophs" Donta Dawson contributing to their squad with 15 points in the win, as well.
- Another soph, Kendale Johnson, over at GW led the Patriots to a needed win as they cruised past West by 31.
- Keyshawn Maltbia led three in double figure scoring for Fountain-Fort Carson with 16 points as the Spartans beat Rampart by 13 on the road.
- Don't look now but Coach Carey has the East Angels on the verge of another DPL title and they have averaged 93 points in their LAST 3 games, out-pacing Lakewood by 34 points with senior Caulin Swain dropping 22 points.
- David O'Connell and Kevin Mulligan combine for 26 points, scoring 13 each, in Golden's 12-point win at Littleton.
Tuesday, Feb. 5
- First trip to the renovated gym at Centaurus for the Fever Crew as we joined Blake Olson on the 9News "Game of the Night"! Beautiful facility and fun place to watch a game...catch it in its entirety here.
- Along with the beautiful facility, No. 10 Centaurus also has a great looking junior in Owen Koonce, who had a game high 26 points scoring from all angles. But this game was about undefeated No. 2 Longmont, who had Calvin Seamons and Brady Renck combine for 33 points leading to a 20-0 record and league title!
- No. 1 Lewis-Palmer got a couple of "20-plus" games in a row from senior Matt Ragsdale last week, and Tuesday night Joel Scott was up to his scoring ways dropping 26 points, 8 rebounds in another lopsided win for LP...this time over Discovery Canyon.
- Many were hoping a trip to Brighton could provide a test for visiting Rangeview but not the case as Jodaun Dotson showed up big again with 18 points, 1 rebound, 3 assists, and 1 steal for the No. 6 Raiders, who are rolling.
- Fairview is holding steady at the No. 8 spot in 5A and earned a tight two-point win. Senior Joseph Urynowicz leading the way with 20 points for Rocky Mountain but it wasn't enough to take down the Knights.
- FIVE Grizzlies in double figure scoring for No. 4 ThunderRidge, headed by senior Austin Holt's 16, in the 35-point thumping of Heritage in league play.
- Down by 8 at halftime Regis, now No. 10 in 5A, used a 20-10 third quarter advantage to change the "mo" and lead the Raiders to a 72-70 win at Castle View. It was key in keeping them at one loss in Continental play. It just seems usual now for Daniel Carr's 22 point, 11 rebound double-double with Jamil Safiedienne's 16 and big Matt Wheelock's 14 in the key win.
- Brett Finnegan scores 11 for Pueblo West in league play for the No. 4 Cyclones, who beat Pueblo Central by 4.
- Wanted to see a "statement" game from No. 2 Mountain Vista and they delivered in a double digit win over surging Legend with seniors Ben Grusing and Simon May combining for 39 points! That's the way a No. 2 is supposed to step up...
- There's our BallFever 4A "sleeper" keeping the momentum rolling with 44 points from the firm of Maher, Ward, & Ayers in 15-point road win at Frederick for No. 3 Mead!
- There's that man! TJ Bamba with 15 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal in 4A No. 7 Lincoln's 27-point DPL win over Denver South.
- Javonte Johnson with a "monsta" double-double of 20 points, 15 rebounds for No. 6 Cheyenne Mountain who got the 4-point road win at Sand Creek!
Wednesday, Feb. 6
- The snow and cancellations hurt our mid-week action but Harrison and The Classical Academy still made it happen! Harrison advanced to 17-4 with tight 57-53 win where the 14-7 second quarter shut down did the trick! Sophomore Donta Dawson leading Harrison at 17.1 points per game.
- Senior E. Whitmore scored 19 for for Sierra who are down this year and his 19 was matched by the home team Widefield's Randall Days who spurred the 10-point win.
- Steamboat Springs, 4A No. 8, found itself down 13-8 at the end of first quarter but got defensive in the fourth only allowing Battle Mountain three points in the final stage! Mac Riniker "stat-stuffin" 20 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 5 steals.
Thursday, Feb. 7
- There's that squad again! We like the make up and attack of this No. 4 Mead crew and they were out on the wing again, 69-32 over Fort Morgan, and held the Mustangs to 8 first half points. If the Mavericks add this type of "D" to their up tempo style we see more success on the way.
- Pueblo County lost a home league game to No. 4 Pueblo West, who is now 17-4 overall and a perfect 8-0 in league play!
- Can't wait to get a late season game on the new black court at Aurora Central but tonight they took care of their road business beating Thornton by 14 to advance to 14-7 overall.
Hey, let's have a little fun. Snow day thoughts with our guy Blake Olson and we went out on a limb with each of our "Power 10"! Power 10? Who are your top 10 regardless of 4A and 5A? Here's Ball Fever's take (these are Ball Fever solely — not Blake's):
- Chap (Kobe's left hand with a crew that can get it done)
- Grandview (Prim & McGill inside along with consistent guard play)
- Overland (Graham Ike - DOMINANT!)
- Smoky Hill (#kennythingspossible)
- Lewis-Palmer (Joel and Matt Ragsdale won't be happy with us about this 5 spot — can't blame em!)
- Rangeview (will the league play hurt post season success? We don't think so!)
- Mountain Vista (Bad night on the big stage at Chap but that could mean nothing)
- Eaglecrest (Bokol...Robinson: THAT IS ALL!)
- T-Ridge (Length, coaching, under the radar!)
- Longmont (Can you be 20-0 with a chip on the shoulder as a defending champ? Admit they could be higher here...)
Wish we could see Longmont and Lewis-Palmer vs. more 5A top squads but they have taken care of everyone in their path! Our 4A sleeper, Mead, could play with a few of our favorite 5A's too...
Yes, yes...our Lewis-Palmer faithful will be extremely upset with the Fever Crew for this after knocking off Chaparral after winter break but we're trying to pretend if each of these teams had to play each other on a neutral court (something like the Denver Coliseum)!
It's all in good fun...and we switched teams around like 2,037 times! The good part is many of these teams will be playing it out on the court soon, but it was fun to PRETEND!
Get out and see all these teams in person, folks!