Welcome back, folks!
Hard to believe we are now entering our last two weeks of regular season play and the final matches will be meaningful and give these awesome athletes memories for years to come!
But before we get into all the nostalgia let's enjoy the moment of 5A ABSOLUTELY beating each other up and simply relish the run 4A Lewis-Palmer and Longmont are on as the clear top "dawgs" so far!
The Look Back
Thursday, Jan. 31
- No. 7 Lincoln got a scare from up and coming Northfield and the Lancers had three score in double figures led by James Felton's 19 point, 6 rebound effort.
- Last week's No. 6 5A squad ThunderRidge won the neighborhood brawl with Highlands Ranch 47-38. Austin Holt and Kevin Sax both got above the rim, and Holt led the scoring with 14.
- 5A top-10 in No. 3 Mountain Vista vs. No. 10 Columbine. This may be considered the Eagles' toughest test since losing their sole game to Chap and they handled this test well winning by 13, closing the game on a 20-11 run. A different senior, Corban Gamble, led the scoring this time with 16 and stud Luke O'Brien led all scorers with 21 in the loss.
- Mead, up to No. 4 last week, got 25 points, 4 assists from Will Maher on the way to 18-point home win over Skyline.
- Daniel Carr delivered another double-double performance of 20 and 11 along with Jamil Safieddiene adding 16 points coming off Regis' big upset of Chaparral, but Legend ruined their eight-game win streak, 68-65 final for the Titans!
- Speaking of last week's No. 1 Chaparral, they were hungry to avenge the last second loss to Regis and were trying to do that in one of the toughest venues we have at Rock Canyon. Big Bryce Matthews scored 16 and Kobe Sanders 10 while the Chap defense held the Jags to single digits in two quarters leading to the nice double digit road win.
Friday, Feb. 1
Jalen Weaver was getting it done inside and out all night for Smoky Hill and the "super soph" also came away with the game winning lay up!
Catch the entire exciting second half here of No. 5 upsetting No. 2 with the 9News Game of the Night here with Blake Olson and myself.
In the pre-game interview Coach Hardin stated the young sophomores needed to step up but even he may not have expected the night Weaver had. Here's the exciting finish that pulled Smoky and Grandview to a Centennial tie at 8-2 in league and gave Jalen Weaver a season high of 19 points.
— Coach T Billups Elite 2021 (@BallFever_CO_Tr) February 2, 2019
On to the other Friday action:
- Throw the records out the window when Pueblo West & East rekindle! West coming in ranked No. 3 in 4A was a favorite but East put up a great fight losing by 5 and a big reason why was Logan Garcia's "stat-stuffin" 30 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal for the Cyclones!
- Many wanted to see if Aurora Central could provide at least a little league challenge to No. 4 Rangeview and the Raiders clearly answered that with an "ummmmm, no!" The Raiders had 11 players score in double figures en route to a 40-point win of their Aurora foe led by Jodaun Dotson's 19!
- No chance for Niwot to even stay close to one of our state's hottest teams, Longmont who is now 19-0 after the 54-point win on this night. Longmont is looking destined to at least return to the title game as defending 4A champ.
- Speaking of hottest teams in the state, No. 1 Lewis-Palmer would like nothing more than a return visit to the Coliseum to see a rematch with Longmont, but we are a ways away from that talk! The Rangers rode the hot hand of Matt Ragsdale who scored 27 points, including four three pointers along the way to an 81-48 thumping of Sand Creek.
- In the rough and tumble Centennial League Eaglecrest moved to 7-3 in league with a crucial 63-56 win over Cherry Creek. The lead "dawgs" Aaron Bokol and "super soph" Ty Robinson combine for 31 points in the win.
- Javonte Johnson continues his "stat-stuffin" ways with 17 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists paving the way for the 6-point road win over Palmer Ridge.
- After this week's upsets No. 7 Overland will be looking to rise in the rankings and they got their own scare from Arapahoe, but still got the tough 55-50 win on the road.
Saturday, Feb. 2
- "30-piece!" Columbine needed a bounce back win to end the week and Luke O'Brien's 31 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals straight "stat-stuffin" was a HUGE part of the 12-point win at Lakewood.
- 21 points from Mack Riniker helped 4A No. 7 Steamboat Springs to a 50-28 home win over Palisade.
- Saturday afternoon at the ThunderDome in the city is always fun and the Denver East vs. Montbello (FNE) kept the scorers table busy as they raced to a 97-84 fun pace won by the Angels. Kwane Marble led four Angels in double figure scoring with 29 and the Warriors Myron Hamilton led all with 29 in the loss. Denver East looking to reclaim the DPL title!
- Matt Ragsdale is on fire and again led Lewis-Palmer in double figure scoring this time with 22 as the Rangers continued their dominance down south as all eleven players got on the stat sheet in the 30-point thumping of 5A Doherty.
- The man with the "mid-range" game, Tanner Baird, scored another 20 for Holy Family, who beat Erie by 12 on the road. Football stud Kyle Helbig added 16 points in the win.
- Wheat Ridge wins big over Littleton on Saturday and the "Farmers Fab Five" are ready to attempt history for their school and our Dennis Pleuss brings you their historic run.
The Look Ahead
Monday, Feb. 4
- Denver East & Lakewood in rare non-league play...
- Widefield vs. Harrison 15-4 down south.
- Golden vs. Littleton
Tuesday, Feb. 5
- Rangeview league test vs. Brighton who has 16 wins!
- 4A top-10! Can Centaurus cool "hot" Longmont?!!
- Regis Looks to bounce back vs. Castle View
- Denver South/Lincoln "City Ball"
- Flourishing Mead vs. Frederick...
- ThunderRidge/Heritage league stuff.
- Cheyenne Mountain vs. Sand Creek southern action!
- Pueblo West vs. Pueblo Central
- Let's find out more about: Mountain Vista & Legend!
Wednesday, Feb. 6
- Hot Smoky Hill back in action vs. Arapahoe
- Grandview looks to rebound vs. Cherry Creek!
More Centennial tough in Overland/Cherokee Trail...
- Columbine/Bear Creek Jeffco
- Eaglecrest vs. constantly improving Mullen will be good!
- Wheat Ridge looking league unbeaten vs. Standley Lake
Thursday, Feb. 7
- Pueblo West vs. Pueblo County
- Holy Family looking to continue new streak vs. Berthoud
Friday, Feb. 8
- Game of the Night? Chap vs. T-Ridge!!!!
- No. 1 Lewis-Palmer & Palmer Ridge...
- Mountain Vista & Regis BIG Continental!
No. 2 Longmont unbeaten has Mountain View next...
- "Da Bellos" (FNE) vs. Lincoln in city action!
- Denver East vs. Thomas Jefferson as well!
- Columbine/Dakota Ridge Jeffco...
- Wheat Ridge vs. D'Evelyn
- Valor Christian & Arvada West too!
Saturday, Feb. 9
- Smoky Hill/Overland in possible game of the week!
- Cherry Creek/C Trail too...
- Eaglecrest/Arapahoe too...
- Grandview/Mullen too in huge Mustang test!
- Mead looks to stay hot vs. Roosevelt!
- Holy Family & Windsor 6:30 p.m.!
- Rangeview & Vista Peak close us out 7 p.m.!
Too much great action to even wrap our brains around...just get out and enjoy, folks!