Welcome back for Week 6, hoop fans! Our big school 5A/4A boys teams continue to get their "post-break" stride back and our ball continues to get better and better in the new year.
Let's check out how the teams in our CHSAANow poll fared and see what other Ball Fever gems we can find along the way.
The Look Back
Monday, Jan. 7
- How about Wheat Ridge sitting at 9-2, debuting at 4A No. 9 in this week's poll, with another win over Kennedy to kick off the week 85-52. The Farmers are led in scoring by Julian Claussen's 18 per game and big 6-foot-11 Zeke Van Tuyl pulling down 8 rebounds per night!
- Douglas County has been waiting on this visit from a city squad and they proved ready to protect home court winning by 12 over George Washington. Senior Brendon Templeton led four Huskies in double figure scoring with 20 points on the night and added 10 rebounds for a solid double-double!
- Zach Anderson led all scorers in Discovery Canyon's win over Sand Creek
Tuesday, Jan. 8
- Our 4A No. 2 remained unbeaten winning by 25! Longmont is on a tear this time beating Thompson Valley by 35 and holding them to single digits in three different quarters only giving up 30 total points: DE-FENSE!!
- Greeley Central is in at No. 4 in 4A this week but may drop after being upset by Mountain View 45-42. Josiah Baptiste and Marucs Carey score 11 points each in the win.
- No. 3 Holy Family is now 8-2 overall and went on the road to take Roosevelt down by 16. Jumped out 16-7 first quarter and never looked back!
- Everyone got involved and 5A No. 7 Rangeview coasted by Hinkley with Cade Palmer and Jodaun Dotson combining for 32 ponts.
- Columbine dropped from our 5A poll this week so we were anxious to see how they would respond to a tough road challenge at No. 3 Chaparral to get the week started. Luke O'Brien responded for the Rebels with 17 points but the Wolverines balance carried the night with lead guard Kobe Sanders dropping 24 points, along with Joseph Dalton and Tanner Giles pouring in 15 each en route to the 9-point home win for Chap.
- Pine Creek getting a couple votes in our coach/media poll this week and Grant Wilkinson's 22 points, 8 rebounds was a big part of the 12-point win over Doherty in league play.
- Regis has had some close heart breakers but got it done as a team Tuesday night.
Wednesday, Jan. 9
The Ball Fever Crew made it out to No. 2 Smoky Hill traveling to No. 6 Grandview for mid-week action. We were blessed with the opportunity to join Blake Olson on the Canvas Credit Union/9News Game of the Night live broadcast!
One thing for sure is Grandview didn't act like an underdog from the very beginning of the game. The Wolves' Dayne Prim and Caleb McGill were dominant in the interior and their second/third shot attempts along with trips to the free throw line slowed Smoky from getting out and running which was where they were at their best on the night.
Great to see the energy and a packed gym on a Tuesday night but this one was never close but it will undoubtedly be fuel for the fire for Coach Hardin and the Buffaloes.
The Wolves win this one by 23! Grandview with the early edge in Centennial play, 3-0.
— Coach T Billups Elite 2021 (@BallFever_CO_Tr) January 10, 2019
In other action:
- This game started off knotted at 12 in the first quarter but Longmont outscored Silver Creek 53-24 in the remaining three quarters to keep their No. 2 unbeaten streak alive.
- No. 1 in the state, Lewis-Palmer, withstood 17 points from Vista Ridge's Payton Kaiser and got a home conference win 55-36 to keep their unbeaten steak alive as well! Matt Raggsdale led the Rangers with 18 points in the win.
- Another one of our Fever Crew's "game of the night" candidates didn't let us down as it took overtime for Thomas Jefferson to outlast Montbello (FNE) 75-71 in the battle of city rivals!
- Nice bounce-back win for Columbine who lost at Chap but go on the road for a solid win over improved Douglas County 66-52.
- Eaglecrest used a 27-14 third quarter advantage to earn a "Centennial-Tough" road win at Cherry Creek 81-67. All wins, especially road wins, go a long way in Centennial league play.
- Arvada West earned its way into our 5A poll debuting at No. 10 this week but took a loss mid-week to Ralston Valley, whose Jordan Stratch scored 19 in Ralston's 13-point home win.
- Hezekiah Swanson's 13 points led No. 4 Overland to a 17-point conference win over Arapahoe at home.
- In the night cap, Javonte Johnson exploded with 37 points to lead No. 5 Cheyenne Mountain to a win over Discovery Canyon taking the Indians to 9-2.
That word "wide open" has again reared it's head in our big school boys hoops!
The Fever Crew would have it no either way but also can't argue with the momentum teams like Lewis-Palmer and Mountain Vista are carrying into the future have them poised as early favorites.
Longmont will have something to say about that in 4A, Chaparral/Grandview/Overland in 5A.
Wild card so far? Need to get out and put eyes on that Rangeview squad real soon!
Enjoy the rest of week 6, folks!