Welcome back, hoop fans ... Happy Hoops Year 2019!
Hard to ask for more than a match up of the 5A No. 1 traveling to the 4A No. 1 ranked squad's house to kick things off.
There were a lot more new year treats in the first three days of 2019 competition as well.
Let's take a look!
The Look Back
Thursday, Jan. 3
The Fever Crew headed over to Smoky Hill to start this year for the beginning of Centennial League play and Cherokee Trail was ready. They were up by as much as 11 points in the first half and hitting shots from every angle led by Chad Robinson's 16 points.
But this game was a tale of two halves and after being down by seven at halftime Smoky turned up the defensive pressure and intensity with their sophs Jalen Weaver and Jordan Whittaker looking more and more comfortable in their roles, active hands on defense.
Quentin Rock and senior Kenny Foster handled the scoring responsibilities getting out and running as the steals and deflections turned this one. The Buffaloes outscored CT 40-18 in the second half!
In other games:
- We mentioned the early 2019 treat of our two top teams in our big school classifications and they didn't disappoint. Not many teams (5A or 4A) want to take the challenge of traveling to Monument and facing Lewis-Palmer in their gym but Chaparral scheduled it and we love to see it. Dan Mohrmann was on the scene and all over what some may argue could be the two best in the state regardless of classification.
- Pomona started the new year with a visit to No. 7 Rock Canyon, a tough place to visit, and the Panthers got 20 points from senior David Ross but not enough as the Jags held court winning by 12.
- 4A No. 3 Holy Family held Fredrick to single digits in three of the four quarters and Adam Jolly scores 19 in the blowout victory.
- Overland, No. 8 5A, returns from Las Vegas undefeated tourney play and gets another strong win over No. 10 Eaglecrest with A. Pena-Avila scoring 16 points and pulling down 6 rebounds in an impressive 14-point win at Eaglecrest!
- EVERYONE got involved on the offensive end for Grandview led by big fella Dayne Prim's 15 points, 6 rebound effort as the Wolves shut down Arapahoe by a lot in conference opener only giving up 29 total points to the Warriors.
- Dennis Pleuss is the man when it comes to Jeffco coverage and he has the league opener.
- Lots of high flying action in Top 10 action of Rangeview and Columbine! Quincey Jewett starts 2019 with a double-double of 20 points, 10 rebounds along side senior Jodaun Dotson's 15 points and 7 assists lifted the Raiders to a 7-point home win vs. a quality squad. Luke O'Brien led Columbine with 19 in the loss and another bright spot is sophomore TreVaughn Williams finding his groove for the Rebels with 16 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 steals! Williams back from injury and will give the Rebels a huge boost. Photos from the game are here.
- Cherry Creek gets league play started with a road win at Mullen! Sophomore leader Julian Hammond III with 23 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists. The kid is a silent assassin!
Friday, Jan. 4
- Poudre is 9-2 on the season and started slow after the break but a 17-4 fourth quarter completed a great comeback for a 55-54 win over Mountain Range.
- Greeley West with a nice 8-3 start to the season as well and they are led by Andre Sepeda who scored 23 in this win over Monarch.
- Fairview is beginning to garner Top 10 votes in our coach/media poll and they continue to rack up wins this time by 16 over Loveland with Jalen Page dropping 23 points.
- Caleb Rillos led three in double figures for Ralston Valley with 22 points in their solid win over Legend where they led by 13 at the half and wouldn't relinquish that lead.
- Douglas County, now 8-4, got 17 points from TJ Boykins and protected home court winning by 8 over visiting Liberty.
- Any letdown from No. 1 Lewis-Palmer after the bin win over Chap? NOT AT ALL! Joel Scott and Matthew Ragsdale combine for 33 points in the blowout victory of Falcon one day after the biggest win of the season.
- Upset City! Vista Ridge surprises No. 4 Cheyenne Mountain. Senior Peyton Kaiser with 24 and sophomore Tyler Edwards stepping up with 20 points in the win.
Saturday, Jan. 5
Chaparral had to be eager to get back into their home gym after the visit to Lewis-Palmer. This nights' guest was Denver East and senior Kwane Marble, who has recently committed to U of Wyoming.
Marble had an off shooting night in this one but junior PJ Steed stepped up with 18 points for the Angels, who seemed to struggle at numerous parts of the game. The Angels couldn't connect from the free throw line shooting 39 percent while Chap shot 70 percent from the line (all technical FTs made).
Joseph Dalton scored 17 alongside big man Dalton Waldron earning a 14 point, 10 rebound double-double in the win.
In other games:
- 4A No. 5 Lincoln welcomed Vista Peak on the weekend and their "big 3" all scored in double figures led by Ty Foster's 21 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists pulling off the tight home win by 3.
- "Stat-stuffin" Chase Hettinger is still at it and brings our first "30-piece" of the new year: 31 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals in blowout win over Hinkley.
- Arvada West, still trucking along at 8-1, notched another victory 46-37 over Rocky Mountain with Josh Rogers scoring 18 points and collecting 8 rebounds.
- Looks like the slow start for Smoky Hill vs. CT a couple days before was a thing of the past as they put up 45 halftime points leading to an 84-65 win over Creek leaving them 2-0 in Centennial!
- Eaglecrest, now 6-5, may be falling from the Top 10 but got a much needed win by 19 on the road at C Trail. Aaron Bokol 19 and Zion Ruckard 18 took the scoring lead!
- Rangeview will be holding firm onto their spot in the 5A Top 5 we predict and they unleashed superb defense on Brighton only allowing 32 total points (2 in the 4th!) and on the offensive end just a casual 9/13 from three point land for soph Cade Palmer leading to game high 27 points...en fuego!
- No. 6 Pueblo West simply took off on Grand Junction Central 27-6 in the first quarter and never let up winning by 23. Logan Garcia and Taylor Harris both score 16 in the win!
- Greeley West in for a real challenge traveling to No. 2 Mountain Vista. They battled early but a 26-10 third quarter run by the Eagles sealed this one and Rhys Pulling scored 17 along the way.
- A young GW squad, now 4-7, took on a tough home test with No. 6 ThunderRidge visiting. Back and forth and tied at the end of the third quarter but the long Grizzlies won that stage 18-6 for a 12-point road win in the city.
- No. 3 Holy Family continues to romp over the competition with a 73-35 win over Fort Morgan and senior Tanner Baird led this time with 25 points in the book!
- Golden "holds on" vs. Evergreen!
- Up 9 at halftime it took everything Grandview had to hold on vs. Overland in this top-10 match.
- No. 9 Columbine protects home court vs. visiting Regis with Luke O'Brien scoring 25 points in the non league match up. Graham Ike with 16 and 10 double-double in the loss.
The Look Ahead
Monday, Jan. 7
- GW vs. Douglas County early week action down south in the Metro area.
- Wheat Ridge, 8-2, vs. Kennedy.
Tuesday, Jan. 8
- Unbeaten Longmont vs. Thompson Valley.
- Aurora Central, 9-1, vs. Westminster.
- Rock Canyon/Valor braggin' rights!
- No. 3 Holy Family vs. Roosevelt.
- Columbine vs. Chaparral has studs!
- Rangeview/Hinkley A-Town!
- Pine Creek, 7-1, hosting Doherty.
Wednesday, Jan. 9
- Mullen, 8-2, vs. C Trail
- Arvada West/Ralson Valley braggin' rights!
- Cherry Creek vs. Eaglecrest.
- No. 1 Lewis-Palmer & Vista Ridge.
- The Bellos (FNE) vs. TJ in DPL.
- No. 2 Longmont vs. Silver Creek.
- Smoky Hill vs. Grandview 5A top 5 stuff!
- Discovery Canyon/Cheyenne Mountain down south.
Thursday, Jan. 10
- Rangeview vs. Thornton.
- Erie vs. Holy Family.
- Chatfield vs. 4A Lincoln!
- Heritage vs. Regis.
- Palmer/Liberty southern action.
Friday, Jan. 11
- Valor vs. Pueblo West is good!
- No. 7 Greeley Central vs. Silver Creek.
- Mountain Vista vs. H-Ranch: Eagle/Falcon fun!
- More braggin' rights! T-Ridge vs. Rock Canyon Top 10!
- Huge test for Arvada West vs. Rangeview.
- No. 1 Lewis-Palmer vs. Sand Creek.
- Doug CO/Chaparral Continental action.
- Longmont vs. Niwot.
- Cheyenne Mountain vs. Palmer Ridge late action.
Saturday, Jan. 12
- Arvada West/Pomona neighborhood get down!
- Valor vs. Pine Creek.
- Overland vs. C-Trail.
- Cherry Creek vs. Grandview.
- Mullen/Eaglecrest more Centennial.
- D South vs. Castle View.
What a season so far! Rest assured 2019 will bring even more excitement from our athletes! Get out and support...