Multiple top-10 battles in 4A and 5A action as we get Week 3 started, folks! The cream is rising, let's check it out:
The Look Back
Monday, Dec. 10
- Thomas Jefferson was missing their leading scored D Hornbuckle but junior James Abbey stepped up with 17 points to help the Spartans beat Harrison 51-37.
- Castle View senior continues his hot streak with 28 points leading to a 20-point win over Northglenn.
- Seniors Josh Rogers and Joseph Call combined for 36 points to help Arvada West to a strong 18-point win over Boulder. Rogers added 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals!
- We've talked about Overland's TOUGH non-conference schedule each year and this night Coach Fisher traveled with the crew to Boulder and took down Fairview by 16 behind big Ike Graham's 19 point, 10 rebound double-double.
- Aurora Central came in 5-0 to the Ralston Round Up tourney but Pomona was game and got 19 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals from Trevor Baskin who was straight "Stat-stuffin" in the 16-point victory.
- Bear Creek rollin' early at 7-0!
Tuesday, Dec. 11
In our Ball Fever game of the night, that may prove to be the game of the week, newly appointed No. 1 Chaparral went into the Bruins den and had to mount a second half comeback in order to over come super soph's Julian Hammond's 19 point, 4 rebound effort.
The Wolverines won the game on a last-second inside bucket by Tanner Giles from a sweet assist from Kobe Sanders, who led Chap with 24 points on the night.
In other games:
- Discovery Canyon has joined our 4A top-10 and start the week off right beating Mesa Ridge by 16 with Daryn Whisman scoring 23 points and adding 7 rebounds!
- Not just the Joel Scott show over at No. 1 Lewis-Palmer and two other seniors Tre McCullough (11 points) and Ethan Forrester's 13 points led the way in this 48-42 win over Liberty.
- Fountain-Fort Carson had a different senior, Rashon Barron, step up with a "stat-stuffin" double-double of 23 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals in lopsided win over Widefield by 30.
- Our Ball Fever buddy Coach Johannsen has Fossil Ridge sitting at 4-1 early in the season and they withstood J. Urynowicz's 23 points in their 65-57 win over Rocky Mountain.
- Poudre is undefeated early on and received 5 votes in our Coaches Poll to join the 5A top-10! It took overtime this night to get a victory over rival Fort Collins 70-68.
- Seniors Brendan Temple and TJ Boykins combined for 31 points but not enough for Douglas County to take down No. 9 Eaglecrest on their home floor who won by 12.
- Cheyenne Mountain dropped a couple spots in our poll to No. 5 but that didn't stop Javonte Johnson from another "monsta" double-double of of 24 points and 16 rebounds in the win over Pueblo South.
- T-Ridge remained at No. 2 despite their loss to No. 1 Chap in tourney play and they bounced back with 31 combined points from Garett Arnold and Austin Holt on the road at Cherokee Trail winning 60-44. Nice bounce back win for the lengthy Grizzlies.
- Mountain Vista, now in our 5A top-10 at No. 7, traveled 36 West to Boulder and pulled off a 16-point road win with Ben Grusing scoring 20 points, with 5 rebounds. The Eagles are so consistent year to year!
- Legend, 4-1, takes down the Arap Warriors.
- Ralston Valley already surpassing last seasons win total.
- The Fever Crew was anticipating this top-10 match between No. 4 Rangeview and No. 10 Regis. Success for both early and this game was going to tell us a little more of who belongs among the 5A best. Rangeview left little doubt!
Wednesday, Dec. 12
- 4A No. 3, Holy Family, worked to win a close one in top-10 action over No. 8 Centaurus by three, 46-43!
- In more 4A top-10 action Lincoln got double digit scoring from their big dogs Foster, Bamba, and Brown but it wasn't enough to stop Valor from winning by 7, 65-58 at the compound!
- Ohhhh, we've been waiting for this top-5 match between Smoky and host T-Ridge. These two are similar early season and the MULTIPLE overtime sessions proved that as the Buffaloes outlasted the Grizz down south by 6!
- Grant Figueroa, 17 points, led BALANCED Rock Canyon to a big win over previously unbeaten Bear Creek and did it in convincingly fashion by 22 points.
- On the girls side, Regis Jesuit's Fran Belibi threw down a dunk against Grandview!
The Ball Fever group text with the homies is kind of surprised that the big school comp "seems" to be among only a few teams.
I asked patience from the CREW because it's early...and believe there will be multiple contenders before it's said and done. Coach "em up!!!"
Get out and enjoy, folks.