Love the non-conference and cross-classification intrigue the early season brings us, hoop fans!
The first part of week 2 ball certainly didn't let us down as thrilling finishes and teams from lower classifications took on some top big school squads ... let's check it out!
Monday, Dec. 3
- Didn't see this one coming! Arvada West off of a good win over Arapahoe held a hot Chase Hettinger to 9 points while shutting the Sabercats down 64-38 led by Josh Rogers 25 points!
- Senior Alex Lawrence's 17 points, 5 rebounds helped Horizon take down Denver South in tourney play 67-49.
- Vista Peak had three players score in double figures but it wasn't enough to get one on the road as Brighton held on late to win by 4.
- Pueblo South came in 0-3 but started 21-10 in first quarter over Falcon and held on for their first victory 53-51.
- Malachi Owens led four Trojans in double figure scoring with 25 in Aurora Central's blow out win over visiting Thornton.
- Fairview gave Chaparral all they could handle last week and followed that up with an 18-point victory over Ralston Valley Monday.
- Broomfield lost a TON of seniors and it's showing early. Brad Cochi covered their lost to Manual at the Fairview Tourney.
Tuesday, Dec. 4
- How does senior Kwane Marble follow up a triple-double performance from last week? How about 35 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals with only 1 turnover...that's straight Ball Fever "Stat-Stuffin"! The Angels beat Standley Lake by 21.
- Two teams in different directions as HOT Longmont, 4A No. 2, is now 4-0 and sends D'Evelyn to 0-4 with a 24-point road win.
- Fellow juniors Jeremiah Jordan and Isaac Tesfaye both had double-double performances combining for 27 points and 25 rebounds! That was just enough to get Cherokee Trail over the hump 64-62 over Douglas County.
- There's one smooth sophomore over at Cherry Creek, Julian Hammond, who put up 20 points in Creek's season opening win 73-49 over Boulder. The Fever Crew was blessed to spend spring/summer ball with this young man and there's no surprise he put numbers like this in game 1! Fellow sophs Arden Walker (9 points) and Myles Purchase (3 points, 3 assists) also joined him on the court after coming up short in the football state championship. These young men will make their presence felt in both sports at Creek! Immediate impact as sophomores, both sports...gotta love the two sport athlete. Upper classmen for the Bruins? Look no further than leader Sebastian Cole who added 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists!
- Speaking of "super sophs" Ty Robinson scored 15 points and senior Aaron Bokol had 19 but it wasn't enough for Eaglecrest while they're on the road in California losing by 1-point to Pacifica Christian Academy at the CDM Beach Bash.
- Mountain Vista is quietly 4-0 and earned 9 votes to join our 5A top 10...they didn't crack the top 10 yet but could be on their way after another 20-plus point win and ten players in the scoring column in this one over Dakota Ridge.
- Well, hello there Dayne Prim! State Champion and All Colorado performer Prim started this season with a 27-point, 10 rebound, 3 assist night vs. a game Lincoln squad who is now up to No. 3 in our 4A poll. The Lancers battled to a 1-point game at half time but Prim along with missed free throws and costly turnovers did Lincoln in second half. The Lancers lose this one by 15 but they will give teams FITS in 4A this season!
- When you're 13-17 from the field there's a good chance to end with a 29 point, 10 rebound double-double and that's exactly what senior Quincy Jewett produced for Rangeview in their 30-point win over Prairie View.
- Back and forth down to the final second but Vista Ridge held on for the 1-point win over Rampart
- Dennis Pleuss has your FULL report of an overtime thriller between Pomona and Wheat Ridge where senior Julian Claussen led all with 27 points.
Wednesday, Dec. 5
- Castle View bounces back with a 19 point win over Broomfield in the Fairview Festival tourney.
- The Bellos (FNE) were coming in playing good ball but Valor was having NONE of it earning their season opener by 37 in the Chap/T-Ridge first night of tourney play.
- Smoky Hill, No. 3 in 5A, showed no mercy jumping on Grand Junction 60-16 at halftime and just coasted after that...the Buffaloes are tough, folks.
- The Fever Crew was impressed by Arvada West early wins over Arapahoe and Castle View but then 3A Manual says "hold up!" taking down A-West 66-54 in the Fairview Festival. Manual putting 3A on notice with their early play!
- Highlands Ranch 4-1 early after taking it to Westminster by 40! Nice follow up to the upset of GW last week Falcons...
- Another class of 2021 sophomore stepping up as "rough & rugged" Noland Marold scored 18 points for No. 2 ThunderRidge in their 77-42 win over Legacy.
- Chaparral's well documented overtime thriller over Fairview was SWEET and there was no let down as they began tourney play with a 15-point win over Rocky Mountain starting the first quarter with a 21-4 advantage sure helps!
Waaaaay too early for some of our Ball Fever Crew observations...BUT — that never stopped us before! Grandview looks poised for a repeat the way they came out strong Tuesday and many have them favored. Not so fast though! Smoky, T-Ridge, Chap looking like they can catch you on any given night in 5A.
4A? Lewis Palmer and Longmont just came out the gates getting after it! But don't sleep on 4A No. 3 Lincoln who took on a tough early season tangle with Grandview and have the athletes to go very far!
It's early, but already so fun to follow! Get out and enjoy, folks...