T-Bird Homecoming Game Victory 14-10 pic.twitter.com/SHrGwznk5W
— HinkleyHS (@HinkleyHS) September 15, 2018
Hinkley's football team is off to its best start in more than a decade following a 14-10 homecoming win over Kennedy on Friday night.
The Thunderbirds are now 3-0 this season — something the program hasn't done since at least 2004.
On Friday, Hinkley trailed Kennedy 3-0 early, but responded with a quick touchdown, and added a safety to go up 8-3 at halftime.
Kennedy did grab a 10-8 lead after the third quarter, but Hinkley responded with a fourth-quarter touchdown to continue its perfect start to the 2018 campaign.
Colorado PrepsCast audio recap
1A: (2) Limon 25, (9) Meeker 16
Limon raced out to a 18-0 lead after three quarters, then held on for a 25-16 win over Meeker.
"That's a really good football team, and they're extremely well-coached," Limon coach Mike O'Dwyer told the Colorado Preps Scoreboard Show. "One thing about a Meeker team is they're never going to give up."
But, ultimately, "I was pleased that our kids just kind of stayed with what we do," O'Dwyer said.
The Badgers are now 3-0 this season.
5A/4A: (5A 2) Valor Christian 28, (4A 1) Pine Creek 7
In a heavyweight matchup of big-school powers, Valor Christian quarterback passed for a touchdown and rushed for two others to lead his Eagles to another important win.
The game was tied at 7 after the first quarter before McCaffrey connected with Gavin Sawchuk on a 29-yard touchdown pass less than two minutes into the frame. McCaffrey added his second rushing score of the game 10 minutes later to put Valor up 21-7 at halftime.
Marcus Staples capped the scoring for Valor Christian with a three-yard rushing touchdown later in the fourth quarter.
Max Lofy scored Pine Creek's lone touchdown on a 95-yard kickoff return in the first quarter.
4A/3A: Pueblo West 15, (3A 2) Pueblo East 7
Pueblo West scored two second-quarter touchdowns, and didn't allow Pueblo East to score after the first quarter en route to a big win.
Chandler Mason rushed for a touchdown and also passed for a score, according to Pueblo Radio Sports.
Luc Andrada threw for 200 yards and a touchdown pass (to Kain Medrano) in the loss for Pueblo East.
The Cyclones are now 3-1 this season. Likewise, Pueblo East is now 3-1.
Radio: Highland, Mesa Ridge among winners on Friday
Clips courtesy of KFKA 1310, Orange and Blue 760 and Xtra Sports 1300.
- In a cross-classification matchup of ranked teams, 2A No. 9 Salida took care of 1A No. 10 Buena Vista 43-0. Vince Deleo had four touchdowns for Salida.
- Smoky Hill is 4-0 for the first time in the history of its program after beating Prairie View 43-0.
- A week after breaking a long losing streak, Niwot football has a second-straight win. The Cougars beat Littleton in the final seconds.
- 3A No. 7 Thomas Jefferson is 3-0 for the third year in a row following a 22-14 win over No. 9 Fort Morgan.
- Another top-10 game in 3A: No. 4 Discovery Canyon beat No. 6 Holy Family in a shootout, 52-34. "We were fortunate to get out of that game with the score that we did, for sure," coach Shawn Mitchell told the Scoreboard Show. Here's a game recap from BoCoPreps.com.
- In 4A, No. 10 Fruita Monument beat No. 4 Chatfield 38-27.
- Castle View beat rival Douglas County 28-0 and is now 3-1 this season. Its the best start for the Sabercats since the 2011 season, when they began 6-0 and finished 11-2.
- Faith Christian beat Manitou Springs 42-7 thanks to four touchdowns from David Nagy.
- Quite the offensive affair: Lewis-Palmer beat Canon City 60-39 in 3A.
- 8-man No. 1 Sedgwick County pushed its state-best winning streak to 26 games with a 42-6 win over No. 9 Akron.
- 6-man No. 5 Flagler/Hi-Plains beat No. 2 Otis 59-55.
- Idalia knocked off No. 8 Briggsdale in 6-man, 46-19.
- Another upset in 6-man: Mountain Valley beat Cotopaxi 68-14.
- In 1A, John Mall put an end to an 11-game losing streak by beating Ignacio 44-23.
- Jon Nuschy did it all in 2A No. 2 La Junta's win over No. 5 Kent Denver.
- 5A No. 10 Arvada West rolled past 4A Wheat Ridge.
- Standley Lake used a fourth-quarter rally to defeat Golden.
- Replay the night via our live coverage.
- On Thursday, 5A No. 1 Cherry Creek edged No. 4 Pomona in OT.
- An updated top-10 football scoreboard, and Saturday's top-10 slate.
- All scores from Friday night.
- 2A No. 10 Berthoud beat Thompson Valley. [Reporter-Herald]
- 3A No. 10 Durango forced five turnovers in a rivalry win against 2A No. 1 Bayfield. [Durango Herald]