The early action gave us a bit of everything this week, hoop fans!
GW, who slid a bit early, is coming into form with a vengeance in the city ... and Denver East is awaiting that annual showdown with them.
The Continental league gave us ANOTHER "packed house" 5A top 5 match-up and this time it was 1 vs. 2 for one of our best coach's 400th victory.
If that wasn't enough, how about 205 points combined last night for Pomona/Dakota Ridge. And that "Home & Away" Centennial Tough league preps battle tested squads.
4A? You get the feeling Pueblo South and Lewis-Palmer are "side eyeing" each other's performances but Longmont and Golden have proven to be more than legit. Let's get to it!
The Look Back
Monday, Feb. 5
- Widefield is now our 4A No. 10 and sophomore Randall Day's 27 point, 6 rebound effort helped lift them to win over Woodland Park.
- Lincoln was in need of a DPL win and soph TJ Bamba's 16 points helped them earn that on the road at Montbello (FNE) 62-59.
- Speaking of DPL, No. 4 GW ran away from Thomas Jefferson 81-43 behind senior Jon'il Fugett's 19 points, 9 rebounds. Soph Darius Hornbuckle also scored 19 for the Spartans in the loss.
- Elizabeth and Mesa Ridge both slid out of the 4A top 10 but didn't stop the Cardinals from winning a tight 1-point victory with senior Garrett Hawkins leading four in double figure scoring with 14.
Tuesday, Feb. 6
- Nothing bigger than No. 1 vs. No. 2 in 5A and our guy, Ryan Casey, was all over Coach Ortiz's 400th win that undoubtedly came in "team" T-Ridge style.
- More 5A top-10 action and the duo of "Kountz/Marble" didn't disappoint, even on the road...
- Elijah Martinez scored 18 in Regis' 16-point win over Mountain Vista.
- Longmont, up to No. 3 in our 4A poll, flexed it's muscle on the road beating Greeley Central 62-35.
- Trent Dykema was "stat-stuffin" again for No. 7 Silver Creek with 20 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists in the 4-point win over Thompson Valley. Check the video recap here.
- Much tougher than Rock Canyon expected and they needed all of Sam Masten's 25 to go along with Tyson Gilbert's 18 to win in overtime vs. a game Legend squad.
- DE-FENSE! No. 1 Pueblo South gets it down on both sides of the floor shutting down Pueblo County 64-22.
- No. 5 Pueblo West was in a blowout mood as well racing away from Pueblo Centennial 78-45. Pierre Taylor led three in double figure scoring for the Cyclones with 17.
- Liberty grabbed a couple top 10 votes and Rampart is anxious to prove they deserve some beating the Lancers by 1 in a tight game with Dawson Carper scoring 20 points along with Xavier Johnson's 15.
- Big game out west and senior Darren Davison scored 10 points and added 4 rebounds in Fruita Monument's key league win over Grand Junction Central.
- Senior Sam Nehme joined Matt Ragsdale and Joel Scott in double figure scoring this time for No. 2 Lewis-Palmer who started strong and never looked back beating Cheyenne Mountain by more than 20.
Wednesday, Feb. 7
- The Fever Crew made it out to see the high-flying No. 9 Smoky Hill Buffaloes on their senior night where they seemed to almost allow Mullen to hang around early but then flexed their athletic muscle pulling away by double digits at the half and closing the game out 61-42. Missing PG Quentin Rock the Buffs showed they have the talent to play with anyone. Big men John Harge and Will Becker dominated the boards (and above the rim) while Kenny Foster played a lot of the distributor role. Fun to see the seniors celebrated and we'll see if the talented Buffs have the depth for a late season run! Above the rim, senior night love here:
— Smoky Hill Hoops (@SmokyHillHoops) February 8, 2018
- Whoa! Senior TJ Davis scored 20 and pulled down 11 rebounds for a double-double and was 10-11 on 2-pt shots along the way in Widefield's drubbing of Mitchell.
- Terrific performances from Standley Lake's Garrett Martin and Chris Bowerman who scored 29 and 25 points respectively but not enough to take down No. 4 Golden who won by 16.
- Eaglecrest mad a late run but Grandview's poise at home and late free throws helped secure the 58-49 always tough Centennial league win.
- Falcon is up to No. 8 in 4A and let 5A Sand Creek know it! Falcon got defensive and held the Scorpions to single digits in two quarters on their way to the 19-point road win.
- Ummm...yes! You read this right, folks! If the score keeper takes a day off, don't blame em! Pomona outlasted Dakota Ridge in double overtime 104-101..."Pomona Principal" caught a bit of the OT action on Twitter
Noah Clark gets it. 101-101.
6.3 seconds in OT pic.twitter.com/7jHhNWz3sM
— Panthers (@PomonaPrincipal) February 8, 2018
- Back and forth the entire way No. 6 Valor Christian won by 4 over rival D'Evelyn.
- In true Trailblazer fashion a different senior led the scoring charge tonight in the home league win over Cherokee Trail as Laulo Oke scored 15 for No. 6 Overland.
- Columbine holds on for the 6 point win over Bear Creek in the home league win. They started the first quarter down by 6 but won by the same margin 67-61. Rebels hot in 5A Jeffco!
Our Fever Crew has learned over the years that the more we think we know, the less we actually know and that's why we love this game.
Yes, there are some favorites creeping to the top of 5A/4A ball but each week brings us a surprise.
"Wide open"? Yep, face it, it's a fact that we have at least four teams in each classification have a legitimate shot at Denver Coliseum success and we have no doubt there will be a couple surprises along the way.
Get out and enjoy!