Welcome to 2018, Happy Hoops Year! The break is over and despite some opinions, believe us when we tell you, the level of big-school hoops has not dropped a bit.
Let's take a look at the "wide open" scene in 2018!
Tuesday, Jan. 2
- Sand Creek and Palmer got things started for us in the new year and the Terrors squeaked out the win 80-76.
- Mikail Zaidah and Brendan Temple scored 14 points each for the Huskies as Douglas County continues to show legit improvement beating Columbine by 14 on the road.
- No. 5 Grandview still unbeaten in CO, kept the hot streak alive with a 15-point road win at Mullen. Junior Dayne Prim broke into the new year with a 27 point, 9 rebound effort!
- Valor dropped out of the 4A top 10 and had a rough trip to Las Vegas but they return with a win at home 69-61 over Mead. Jeremy Randle with 19 points!
- The Fever Crew sees you Wyatt Stratmeyer starting 2018 with a 25 point effort for Berthoud in the win over Erie!
Wednesday, Jan. 3
- The Regis backcourt of Saffediene and Martinez went to work on Cherokee Trail.
- Silver Creek, 4A No. 4, remains unbeaten with senior Trent Dykema continuing his amazing scoring average of 27 points per game and 26 points in this win over Northridge by 13.
- Tommy Gonzales' 25 points helped Greeley West hold off Aurora Central's late run winning by 2.
- No. 1 Rock Canyon rolls to a 20-point win over Mountain Range powered by Sam Masten's 26 and Tyson Gilbert's 17. State's No. 1 squad didn't miss a beat after break.
- Speaking of not breaking stride, 4A No. 1 Lewis Palmer had four players in double figure scoring led by Joel Scott's 19 in the win over Sand Creek.
- Tanner Baird's 19 points lifted 4A No. 5 Holy Family over Skyline by 29 points!
- Senior Cortney Dean, Denver South's leading scorer, carries a heavy load for the Rebels and was rewarded with this 9News highlight in the win vs. Castle View
.@DSOUTHAthletics got a big win at home tonight over Castle View, beating the Sabercats 53-45. We'll have full highlights this weekend on the 9NEWS Prep Rally. But, for now, check out this dunk in the 1st quarter from senior Cortney Dean! #copreps #9Sports pic.twitter.com/W8bwMEY7gy
— 9NEWS Prep Sports (@9Preps) January 4, 2018
Thursday, Jan. 4
- Three Bruins in double figures and Cherry Creek moves on to 7-3 over C. Trail.
- Senior Erik Grossaint joined Trent Dykema in double figures this time as Silver Creek "left no doubt" thumping Pueblo County 80-41.
- Nieyeme Smeyer-Williams doing a little bit of everything again for No. 9 Pueblo West beating Colorado Springs Christian by 20!
- Our Fever Crew talked about No. 6 Grandview's balance before and this time they upset Smoky Hill with four players in double figure scoring led by Dayne Prim's 15 to go with 8 rebounds, 3 assists in the top 10 match! Grandview's run brought out the cameras in their HOME win
It was a top 10 matchup at Grandview tonight! And, No. 6 @Grandview_HS won in front of its home crowd over No. 2 @Smokysports. We'll have more highlights/reaction this Saturday morning on the 9NEWS Prep Rally! #copreps #9Sports pic.twitter.com/LPqldoKepO
— 9NEWS Prep Sports (@9Preps) January 5, 2018
- No team has faced as tough of an early schedule as Overland and they continue to stride in the right direction going into a tough Eaglecrest gym coming out with a win by 16 highlighted by Tucson Redding's 22.
- Adversity can crush a team or bring them together. Our Fever Crew looks for Golden to play inspired ball and they come out of the break with a 10-point win over rival D'Evelyn with Adam Thistlewood "Stat-Stuffin" 25 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals!
Friday, Jan. 5
Our Fever Crew got over to the ThunderDome Friday night for a classic "city vs. suburbs" top 5 match up! Denver East hosted Chaparral in an electric atmosphere that was treated to high flying dunks, "deep 3's", and a Wolverines team that proved it had no fear in visiting the "east side."
Despite some wonderfully skeptical foul calls on Ronnie DeGray III, which eventually fouled him out, he showed why he is the rising star scoring 14 points on 7-of-9 shooting. Simply couldn't be stopped on the inside where East has a lack of depth/size.
Speaking of stars, the Angels' Daylen Kountz didn't disappoint using that mean left-hand inside-and-out, pacing East with 28 points.
When DeGray fouled out early fourth quarter you could feel the Angel relief and belief that this was the time to make the run.
The Angels vaunted defensive pressure did pick up, but the Wolves crafty point guard Kobe Sanders along with sharp-shooter Joe Hayden found the holes in the press. Hayden showed he could do more than just shoot 3s, scoring on the inside and running the floor for a dunk which added to his 25 points in the Wolverines impressive 81-76 win.
Wolves win? They Dance!
Big time road win tonight over Denver East 81-76. Total team win. @josephdalton44 lead the way scoring 25, but big time contributions from everyone. Side note, Chap is 1-0 this year and 4-0 over all when Coach @trues10 has worn the red pants. Wins = Dancing pic.twitter.com/5ofk6mePkv
— Chap Hoops (@Chap_Hoops) January 6, 2018
- Trent Dykema scores 19 and Silver Creek caps an impressive first week of 2018 with 11-point win over Steamboat Springs.
- 4A No. 9 Pueblo West notches another win over a 5A squad 63-56 on the road over Fruita Monument.
- Sounds repetitive, but the duo of Masten/Gilbert step up huge again on the road scoring in double figures and No. 1 Rock Canyon flexed its muscles putting a 30-piece on Rangeview in their house.
- Longmont closed 2017 as No. 6 in 4A and looking to rise after a 17-point home win over Mountain View.
- GW played tough on the road and Mo Diallo scored 18 in the absence of fellow big man Tray Pierce but not enough for the Patriots to get over the hump in No. 5 ThunderRidge's house where seniors Cruickshank, Hammonds, and McCaw led the Grizzlies to a 4-point close one.
- Lewis Palmer jumped out to a 9-point first quarter lead and then were steady behind Joel Scott's 19 points in the 13-point win over visiting Vista Ridge.
Saturday, Jan. 6
- Watch out for these Trailblazers late in the season...they have faced a brutal schedule and are returning to their winning ways.
- Dan Mohrmann has you covered for the Pueblo West last-second heroics on Saturday!
- Shooting 72% from the field will bring you a "30 piece" and Regis Jesuit's Sam Bannec claimed his Saturday in a win over Lincoln.
- Earl Boykins Jr. did a little shining of his own scoring 17 points in Douglas County's road win at Gateway.
- Goodness! That good looking soph Luke O'Brien was at it again for Columbine with a "monsta" double-double of 22 points and 15 big rebounds in the Rebels win over Pomona.
- If you're going to pull off an upset of a top 5A team you will need a senior leader to take the reins and that's exactly what Deon Barfield of Cherokee Trail did scoring 19 points with 9 rebounds and 4 assists in the Cougars surprise overtime win vs. Smoky Hill. The Buff's second loss this week will have them slide a bit in our rankings.
- Grandview is powered by juniors and soph's but they are not waiting for the future to claim their place in Centennial action! This time juniors Dayne Prim and Tyler Unger scored 17/15 respectively in the 8 point home win over Arapahoe. Look for the Wolves to land in the top 5...and they've earned it.
- No. 2 Golden closed the week hot as well 80-47 over Wheatridge and Adam Thistlewood poured in 22.
- No let down for the Ball Fever No. 2 5A squad Chap after their big win over East as they almost cruised by 50 over Hinkley!
- Valor had a tough trip to Vegas over break but are bouncing back with 18 point win over Green Mountain charged by Hunter Shkapich's 23.
- Trent Dykema not only has Silver Creek on one of the hottest streaks in the state he also kept the score keepers sweating adding up his 32 points as part of the teams 87-78 win over Roosevelt.
- Brendan Sullivan is averaging 23 points per game for Highlands Ranch and he closes out this week's coverage as the Falcons beat Fossil Ridge by 15.
The Look Ahead
Monday, Jan. 8
- Douglas County & Brighton.
- Young Columbine vs. Veteran No. 1 Rock Canyon!
- Rangeview vs. Overland that is better than record.
- Chaparral (unbeaten in CO) takes on GW!
- Denver East won't be happy vs. Lakewood.
Tuesday, Jan. 9
- Montbello (FNE) & Thornton.
- Silver Creek unbeaten vs. Greeley Central.
- Legacy/Boulder action!
- A Central vs. Denver South.
- GW taking the City to Regis!
Wednesday, Jan. 10
- Highlands Ranch quietly 8-2 vs. Hinkley.
- Grandview & Cherokee Trail, A-Town!
- No. 1 Lewis Palmer vs. Falcon.
- Vista Peak & Pueblo South.
- Golden & Valor 4A fun!
- Smoky looking to get right @ Overland.
- Mullen/Creek! Who takes the #CentennialToughStep??
Thursday, Jan. 11
- Silver Creek rollin' but here's tough Thompson Valley!
- Longmont vs. Greeley Central.
- Lincoln travels to A-Town & Aurora Central.
- Liberty & Rampart? Someone gets a 4th loss!
- Denver South rides down to Pueblo East.
Friday, Jan. 12
- Holy Family vs. Windsor...somethin' has to give!
- Smoky Hill/Mullen meaningful Centennial?
- Valor/D'Evelyn reunion....
- Douglas County & H Ranch in southern improvement!
- Chap CANNOT take Mountain Vista light...
- Sweeeeet Continental Regis & T-Ridge!
- Cheyenne Mountain tries to blemish Lewis-Palmer.
Saturday, Jan. 13
- D-South with another road trip to Holy Family!
- Green Mountain/Littleton with your 1pm action.
- Will Golden stay hot at Standley Lake!??
- Overland/C Trail athletes for braggin' rights.
- RC Jags & Dakota Ridge.
- Mead & Longmont never let you down, fans!
- GW & Rangeview in 5pm Denver/A-Town tilt!
- Grandview looks to Centennial Tough Eaglecrest.
- TJ @ Highlands Ranch.
- No. 1 Lewis Palmer & Pueblo East close out the week!
From our Ball Fever Crew view there was little to no rust on our big school courts after the break! The ball is only getting better...get out and enjoy!