A week after beating sixth-ranked Silver Creek, Erie football has another top-10 feather in its cap.
On Friday night, the Tigers, now ranked No. 3 in Class 3A, beat No. 4 Berthoud 33-7.
"Playing in the Tri-Valley (League), it doesn't get any easier," coach Chad Cooper told the Colorado Preps Scoreboard Show after the game. "I told our kids to enjoy this one tonight, but tomorrow morning we're back to work and getting ready for Holy Family.
"It's kind of similar to a playoff run where you can't let down," Cooper continued. "It'll be good to kind of prepare us for the playoffs. You can't have any let downs in the playoffs. It'll be a great test for us."
Erie's Jacob Mansdorfer hit Alex Mathis with a touchdown pass just before the end of the first half to push the Tigers' lead to 20-7.
Noah Roper rushed for two second-half touchdowns, and also recovered two fumbles on defense. He returned one of those for a touchdown. Roper had 165 yards rushing.
"Noah, obviously, is a talented kid. He kind of does it all for us," Cooper said. "He runs extremely hard and is able to grind on people, too, with the style that we have on offense."
6-man: (5) Prairie 44, (1) Peetz 41
Prairie got the go-ahead score with 11.8 seconds remaining to secure the upset of previously unbeaten Peetz.
"It was just a dive to the right to Trenton Holzworth, one of our seniors, and he was able to power through a couple of kids and was able to get the ball in," coach Justin Kerns told the Scoreboard Show of the winning score.
Prairie is now 6-0 this season.
"The players here are excited, the kids are excited," Kerns said.
2A: (3) Platte Valley 42, (6) Sterling 21
Tied at 21 at halftime, Platte Valley reeled of 21 unanswered points in the second half to secure a big win and move to 6-0 this season.
"It was one heck of a game up here for homecoming week, that's for sure," coach Troy Hoffman told the Scoreboard Show.
Hoffman praised his team's effort on defense, which forced four turnovers.
"The kids created some opportunities and some turnovers," Hoffman said. "We just needed to do that, play a little more aggressive in the second half, and when you get four turnovers, a lot of times good things happen for you, and it sure did for us tonight.
Platte Valley had more than 400 yards of total offense.
2A: (5) The Classical Academy 27, (8) Salida 19
TCA rallied from down 13-7 late in the second quarter to get an important top-10 win.
Jenson Hall had two rushing touchdowns for the Titans, and Cade Bethany accounted for two total touchdowns.
Brayden Luft added a receiving touchdowns.
- 8-man No. 1 Sedgwick County cruised to an easy win over No. 3 Haxtun, 44-0.
- Centauri is 6-0 in 1A after beating Monte Vista 27-2. The Falcons, No. 4, got another big night out of their defense. "That's been our strength this year," coach Kyle Forster told the Scoreboard Show. "Our defense has done a great job when we needed them to."
- In 2A, Basalt got a big rivalry win over No. 10 Aspen, 48-22. Noah Williams had six touchdowns for the Longhorns. "Just a big, strong, very, very gifted athlete," coach Carl Frerichs told the Scoreboard Show of Williams.
- 5A No. 4 Regis Jesuit beat Legacy 32-7. "I think this puts us in the driver's seat" for the conference title, Raiders coach Danny Filleman told the Scoreboard Show.
- Caliche snapped a two-game losing streak and knocked off No. 8 Dayspring Christian in 8-man, 18-13.
- 8-man No. 10 Gilpin County is 5-1 following a 48-0 win over Soroco.
- 6-man No. 8 La Veta cruised to a 52-19 win over Sierra Grande in an afternoon contest.
- Platte Canyon moved to 5-0 this season following a forfeit by Front Range Christian. The Huskies are ranked No. 7 in 1A.
- No. 6 Merino got a narrow win over Akron in 8-man, 28-26.
- Paonia, No. 6 in 1A, is 5-1 after beating Hotchkiss 28-21.
- Deer Trail picked up its first win of the season when Cheraw forfeit Friday's 6-man game due to lack of players. It snaps a 13-game losing streak for Deer Trail.
- Denver North beat Vista PEAK 15-13 in 3A, and is now 6-0 this season.
- Wray is now 3-3 following a 40-8 win over Wiggins in 1A. Cade Hillman had 227 yards and two touchdowns, while Manny Heurta added three scores.
- 3A No. 9 Harrison is 6-0 after a 46-0 win over Sierra.
- Springfield upset No. 2 Holly in overtime, 32-26, in 8-man.
- An impressive win for Northglenn over ThunderRidge in 5A. Northglenn is now 5-1.
- Evergreen upset 3A No. 6 Skyview, 10-9.
- Olathe beat Cedaredge 21-14 with a 98-yard touchdown drive in the fourth quarter.
- The top-3 matchup in 6-man between No. 2 Stratton/Liberty and No. 3 Cheyenne Wells was delayed to Saturday because of a light that wasn't working.
- Frederick football is 5-1 after a 7-6 win over Holy Family.
- Jaion Colbert rushed for 238 yards and three scores as Overland football beat Arapahoe 47-28.
- Check out this wild touchdown pass as time expires from Middle Park's Boston Gleich.
- No. 9 Columbine ground out a win on the ground against No. 5 Fairview in 5A. Photos from the game are here.
- 3A No. 1 Mead jumped out early and stunned No. 5 Roosevelt in a big win.
- In an awesome overtime game, 8-man No. 5 Hoehne beat No. 7 Fowler.
- Photos from Machebeuf/Englewood. Machebeuf is now 6-0.
- Photos from Loveland/Broomfield. Loveland is also 6-0.
- An updated top-10 scoreboard after Friday's games, and Saturday's top-10 slate.
- All scores from Friday night, and Saturday's full schedule.
- Replay the night through our live coverage.
- Updated RPI standings.
- A roundup of Thursday's games.