Longmont pulled off one of the most eye-opening upsets of the 2017 football season on Thursday, knocking off top-ranked Holy Family 39-3 in Class 3A.
The Trojans led 11-3 at halftime, and then opened things up in the second half.
Still, Longmont’s rushing game was extremely successful. Cruz Garcia scored twice, quarterback Oakley Dehning threw a touchdown pass to Jaden Elkins and rushed for a score, and Beck Fieth also added a rushing touchdown for the Trojans.
As Cochi pointed out, it is Longmont’s second win over a No. 1 team this season. The Trojans beat then-No. 1 Pueblo East on Sept. 1, and later moved up to No. 1 themselves. A week later, though, Greeley West toppled the Trojans, starting a three-game losing streak.
“It’s a statement win because we kind of had our backs to the wall and we knew that if we let another game slip, it would really hurt our season,” Longmont linebacker Austin Hassler told BoCoPreps.com.
Now, though, Longmont looks to have figured things out.
- 5A No. 8 Columbine moved to 4-1 following a 48-28 win over Denver East. Logan Dearment threw two touchdown passes for the Rebels. Columbine now has nine touchdown passes through five games — the most they’ve had at this point in a season in at least a decade.
- 5A No. 2 Eaglecrest cruised to a 42-7 win over Bear Creek. The Raptors are 5-0.
- 5A No. 9 Grandview beat Cherokee Trail 40-13. The Wolves are 3-2.
- 2A No. 8 Faith Christian beat Jefferson 46-8. Faith is now 4-1.
- 5A No. 7 Fairview is 5-0 following its 27-16 win over Arapahoe.
- No. 8 Monarch stayed unbeaten with a close win over Broomfield.
- Overland beat Legacy in double overtime.
- Photos from Monarch/Broomfield.
- Photos from Lakewood/Fossil Ridge.
- Photos from Eaglecrest/Bear Creek.
- An updated top-10 football scoreboard, and Friday’s schedule.
- All scores from Thursday’s games, and Friday’s slate.
- Updated RPI standings for all classes.
- Follow Friday’s games through our live coverage.