Victor Garnes had two receiving touchdowns, and third-ranked Eaglecrest football beat Grandview 21-14 in a big Class 5A game on Friday.
Eaglecrest is now 3-0, while Grandview moves to 2-1.
Both of Garnes’ scores came on great throws from Raptors quarterback Jalen Mergerson, a senior.
Kenny Wanting got Eaglecrest started with a 2-yard rushing touchdown late in the first quarter.
Grandview’s Aaron Harris blocked a punt that the Wolves recovered for a touchdown to cut into Eaglecrest’s lead early in the third quarter. They had possession deep in the Raptors’ territory on their next possession, but the drive stalled and the Wolves turned it over on fourth down.
Eaglecrest then went back up 21-7, and held that lead for most of the fourth quarter.
4A: (10) Pueblo West 55, (3) Pueblo South 54 (2OT)
— Anthony Sandstrom (@ASandstromView) September 16, 2017
In a wild one, Pueblo West took down their crosstown foe in two overtimes.
3A: Roosevelt 15, (3) Longmont 12
Roosevelt scored 15 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to come roaring back and upset the Trojans.
The Roughriders’ defense got their team started with a safety early in the fourth quarter, and then Angelo Hurtado cut it to 12-9 with a 21-yard rushing touchdown.
Four minutes later, Roosevelt’s Trent Beall scored what proved to be the winning touchdown on a 14-yard rush.
Jaydon Elkins had a rushing touchdown for Longmont.
4A: (4) Windsor 40, (8) Broomfield 14
Windsor jumped out to a 26-0 lead at halftime, and the Wizards kept their foot on the pedal in the second half en route to the big win.
Quarterback Connor Apodaca, a senior, accounted for four total touchdowns, including two through the air.
— Northglenn Athletics (@NGHS_Athletics) September 16, 2017
- Northglenn improved to 3-0 following a 22-7 win over Far Northeast.
- Smoky Hill beat Aurora Central 27-16 to snap a 16-game losing streak.
- Littleton beat Kennedy 22-21, breaking a 14-game losing streak.
- In 2A, No. 4 The Classical Academy beat No. 10 D’Evelyn 24-21. Here’s a photo gallery.
- 1A No. 5 Centauri shut out No. 10 Olathe, 14-0.
- Big win for No. 6 Holly in 8-man, topping No. 2 Hoehne 33-14.
- Gilpin County upset No. 10 Caliche in 8-man, 36-30.
- There is once again a tie atop the all-time football wins list. West Grand’s forfeit win over Nederland became official tonight, giving coach Chris Brown his 318th career win.
- Prairie, No. 8 in 6-man, is now 3-0 after beating Arickaree/Woodlin 34-14. “You can’t be displeased with 3-0,” coach Justin Kerns told the Colorado Preps Scoreboard Show. “We’re looking forward to next week.”
- Rock Canyon edged Denver East, 22-21. Photos from that game.
- Skyview continued its hot start with a 29-3 win over Summit and is now 4-0. Its the first time the Wolverines are 4-0 since 2011.
- 3A No. 7 Erie’s Noah Roper rushed for 308 yards and four touchdowns in a 47-23 win over Northridge.
- Masiah Hudson rushed for 188 yards and four touchdowns on just five carries as Manual beat Sheridan 42-6. Corey Jones added 111 rushing yards and a score.
- Trevor Reuss threw three touchdowns for Basalt in a 35-7 upset win over No. 6 Delta in 2A.
- Bryce Sugden had two touchdown passes as 8-man No. 3 Dayspring Christian beat Springfield 47-17.
- Peetz, ranked No. 2 in 6-man, beat Idalia 60-12. Bryson Long had three receiving touchdowns, while Tre Fehringer tossed two TD passes.
- Rowan Neal threw two touchdowns in leading Vista Ridge to a 28-16 win over Dakota Ridge in 4A.
- Eaton beat Brush 35-21, and Austin Coalson had two passing TDs. Travis Cunningham also rushed for two touchdowns.
- No. 1 Holy Family edged No. 5 Fort Morgan in a great 3A matchup.
- The Bell still rings red as Pueblo Centennial nipped Pueblo Central in OT.
- 5A No. 2 Pomona beat rival Ralston Valley. A photo gallery from the game is here.
- Photos from Rock Canyon/Denver East.
- Photos from Grandview/Eaglecrest.
- Photos from The Classical Academy/D’Evelyn.
- Photos from Lakewood/Hinkley.
- Photos from Monarch/Denver South.
- An updated top-10 football scoreboard, and Saturday’s top-10 schedule.
- All scores from Friday night, as well as Saturday’s slate.
- Replay the night through our live coverage.