Skyview football is off to its best start in six seasons.
The Wolverines beat Weld Central 41-20 on Saturday. It means the team is now 2-0 for the first time since the 2011 season, when they finished 7-3.
Skyview, coming off a playoff appearance in Class 3A, will now seek to improve on its 6-5 campaign from a season ago.
On Saturday, the Wolverines got 192 yards and three rushing touchdowns from senior Deyvon Butler. Quarterback Michael Vigil also threw a touchdown pass to Isaiah Montoya.
Anthony Gonzalez, meanwhile had two interceptions that he returned for touchdowns.
Marcus Kemm, a junior, led the defense with nine tackles.
Weld Central had one of its best seasons in year last season when the Rebels went 8-2 and reached the 2A playoffs. They face Jefferson next week.
— Coach Kemm (@Coach_Kemm) September 9, 2017
- West Grand beat South Park 54-12, giving coach Chris Brown his 317th career victory. He is one behind Kent Denver's Scott Yates for the all-time wins record.
- In 8-man, Caliche upset No. 4 Sargent 38-13. The Buffs are now 2-1.
- Rock Canyon opened the year at 2-0 following a 41-7 win over Smoky Hill in 5A.
- High-scoring game in 8-man, where Gilpin County beat Simla 60-50.
- Sierra Grande really got its offense working in an 80-32 win over Mountain Valley in 6-man.
- 6-man No. 2 Stratton/Liberty cruised to a 59-6 win over Elbert. Phillip Packard, a senior, threw two touchdowns and caught another.
- In 1A, Front Range Christian edged Lyons 14-13. CJ Hoff and Jaxon Mahler each had rushing touchdowns for the Falcons.
- 4A Widefield cruised to a 53-0 win over 3A Mitchell. TJ Davis accounted for five total touchdowns for the Gladiators, including three passing. Davis also had 294 total yards.