Big-school boys basketball teams can see the finish line as league champs are starting to be crowned with a few more coming down to the final week.
There was a record-setting individual performance this week, a No. 1 squad went down, and in The Look Ahead we can't wait for T-Ridge/Rock Canyon and Denver East/GW in awesome season ending match ups!
The Look Back
Monday, Feb. 6
- Always a treat to play at the Pepsi Center and Matt Daniels has your photos from The Academy pulling off the tight win over JA Jags.
- The “rim protector” 6-foot-9 Tray Pierce had 8 blocks for GW in their blowout of Thomas Jefferson and Jervae Green scored 25 to lead all scorers.
- No. 6 Sierra senior Dondre Savage scored 18 in the easy win over Canon City.
- Low scoring battle in Montbello's visit to league foe Lincoln where Umar Jalloh scored 13 in the Lancers 48-47 win.
- Denver South junior Cortney Dean drops 25 points on Kennedy in DPL play.
Tuesday, Feb. 7
- Dennis Pleuss all over Skyview's “energy boost” in the huge road win at Conifer.
- The Fever Crew predicted Chaparral would test No. 1 T-Ridge and they did but the Grizzlies keep the streak going with 7 point road win. Matt Mathewes with the pics!
- Oscar Maldonado with 15 in No. 9 Northridge's win over Centaurus.
- Senior Michael Zeman with 20 points in No. 5 Holy Family 20-point win over Windsor.
- We have a 40-piece! David Simental scored the 40 in No. 1 Pueblo West's lopsided win over Pueblo Centennial 97-59.
- Wasn't easy for Rock Canyon but they squeaked out a 44=39 win over Legend with senior JT Bley scoring 12.
- Fort Collins, now in 5A top 10, got a 50-42 road win at Poudre!
- Junior Daylen Kountz scored 27 but it wasn't enough to stop Brevin Brimble and the Doherty Spartans from coming in and pulling of the 5A top to win in the Angels house! Brimble finished with 19.
Wednesday, Feb. 8
- Grandview has been on an absolute roll this season but Eaglecrest was eager to avenge an earlier loss to their league foe and Dan Mohrmann covers how this one might just lock up the “Centennial Tough” league for the Raptors behind seniors Ross and Ozors.
- Guess who has the longest winning streak in 5A? Chatfield at 18! Dennis Pleuss watched them all but wrap up Jeffco.
- Seniors led the way as Sanders, McCaffrey, and Knuckles scored 17, 16, and 15 respectively in No. 2 Valor's win over Wheat Ridge.
- Another 20 point night for CJ Jennings in Sierra's 13-point win over Harrison.
- Sand Creek fell to No. 7 in 4A but came back this week with tight 67-63 win over Falcon.
- Senior Kyle Lucasiewicz scores 16 in Arapahoe's big league win over Cherry Creek.
Thursday, Feb. 9
- Rampart made a strong run but not enough to stop Doherty from bringing home its second league title.
- Senior Ravel Moody scored 20 points for the Spartans as Thomas Jefferson came back to get a 1-point win over Montbello (FNE) in DPL play.
- Northridge gets another one by 22 over Greeley Central as they put a firm hold on the spot in the 4A top 10.
- Billy Cook scores 17 and leads a hot Lewis Palmer team to a blowout win over Discovery Canyon.
Friday, Feb. 10
- No. 1 ThunderRidge got a 34 point “monsta” effort from Kaison Hammonds vs. foe Mountain Vista.
- No. 2 Valor in a “thriller” vs. Evergreen and Dennis Pleuss is on it.
- Fort Collins, now in 5A top 10, runs past Horizon and we have highlights!
- Three players scored 12 each along with Michael Ward's 16 in Mead's 29-point win over Windsor.
- Upset city! We may be looking at a new No. 1 in 4A as Pueblo South was up 34-19 at halftime over Pueblo West and held on for 67-64 win to shake things up!
- The Parker battle between Chaparral and Legend is always fun and young Chaparral got 16 points from sophomore Ronnie DeGray III in a solid Continental league road win.
- Senior Holten Sparling scored 20 points in a surprising overtime win for Highlands Ranch over No. 6 Rock Canyon. The Fever Crew reports that the H-Ranch was tough on our guy Tyson Gilbert in his return but I'm sure Gilbert will get the last laugh when the Jags move on to the playoffs.
- Record setting performance, folks! We've discussed the scoring power of GW's Jervae Green in the past but no one saw a 64 point EXPLOSION which placed him in the CHSAA record books blowing out Denver West in the historic night.
- Austin Forsberg led four Raptors in double digit scoring in Eaglecrest's Centennial title locking win 64-57 over Cherry Creek.
- Chatfield extends the state's longest winning streak in 40-point win over Bear Creek!
- Sand Creek looks like they're getting the groove back as they beat Cheyenne Mountain 81-58.
Saturday, Feb. 11
- Well hello junior Adam Thistlewood! Dennis Pluess has you covered on Golden's win and the 30-point effort.
- D'Evelyn jumped out to a 19-2 first quarter and never looked back beating Littleton by 23.
- Scoring machine Daylen Kountz was as it again dropping 27 in the Angels “ThunderDome” win over Denver South!
- Two of our state's top PG's were on display Saturday in Matt Johnson Jr. and Jaizec Lottie tangling. Lottie led C-Trail to the win in this one scoring 23 points.
- Brevin Brimble scored 22 and Doherty locked up it's second league title in as many seasons!
- Big time win for young Overland 64-60 over Grandview. Tucson Redding with 26 points in the upset!
The Look Ahead
Monday, Feb. 13
- Northridge at Longmont.
- North at GW. How does Jervae Green follow up 64!?
- Montbello (FNE) visits Lakewood. Someone comes out with 16 wins!
- West visits East in DPL action.
Tuesday, Feb. 14
- Fort Collins on a run faces Legacy.
- Legend heads south to Doherty!
- Top-10 4A action in Mead and Holy Family.
- Green Mountain visits D'Evelyn.
- Chatfield puts it's streak up vs. Dakota Ridge.
- Fossil Ridge and Mountain Range will score a ton!
- Evergreen at Golden!
- Valor at Standley Lake.
Wednesday, Feb. 15
- Northridge over to Niwot.
- Grandview looks to bounce back vs. Cherry Creek.
- C Trail at Arap in Centennial too!
- Ponderosa gets it shot at No. 1 ThunderRidge
- Castle View get ready. Rock Canyon is coming.
- Denver South at Lincoln in city ball.
- Smoky Hill with a real test at Eaglecrest.
Thursday, Feb. 16
- Fort Collins and Monarch both playing well.
- D'Evelyn and Golden in top 10 4A action!
- Tough trip for Littleton at Valor.
- Standley Lake at Evergreen.
- Centaurus travels to Vista Peak.
Friday, Feb. 17
- Holy Family at Roosevelt.
- Arapahoe/Overland in Centennial battle.
- Thomas Jefferson at Denver South.
- Cherry Creek at Smoky Hill will be good.
- Cherokee Trail & Eaglecrest wrap up league play!
- Game of the Week: T-Ridge at Rock Canyon will be rockin!
Saturday, Feb. 18
- Denver East and GW in the annual ThunderDome throw down!
Our final regular season week is upon us. Get out and support your squad!