We have reached what coaches like to call the "fourth quarter" of the season with most of our big schools facing five games or fewer on the schedule.
ThunderRidge didn't falter at all, as we discussed in our midweek report, and the other six teams in our 5A top-6 can likely argue they can beat anyone on a given day. Pueblo West and Valor Christian are making more statements late in the week that they both want that 4A title rematch.
Let's take a look!
A Look Back
Thursday, Feb. 2
- Dan Mohrmann has you covered on Pine Creek's unique defense not being quite enough to stop No. 7 Doherty.
- Vista PEAK dropped from this week's 4A poll but got a 20-point win over Thornton on the road with junior Te'Rae Johnson scoring 16.
- Steven Goss scored 19 and "Mr. Do it all" for Montbello (FNE) had 17 in the Warriors close 55-50 home win over DPL rival Denver South!
- Monarch seems to be improving each week and a 25-9 third quarter advantage helped them pull away from Greeley West winning by 15.
Friday, Feb. 3
- It took overtime for Legend to top league for Regis Jesuit and Jack Eberhard has your action shots.
- Silver Creek got 22 points from Trent Dykema in the 34 point win over Greeley Central for the No. 10 ranked 4A squad.
- 4A No. 6 Northridge earned a fourth quarter comeback win outscoring Mountain View 13-10 in final stage!
- Corey Seng at it again scoring 24 points in No. 1 ThunderRidge's 21 point win over Highlands Ranch.
- Rangeview maintained dominance of EMAC league behind Matt Johnson Jr's 21 points in blowout over A Central!
- No. 1 in 4A Pueblo West was only up 3 at halftime but pulled away from Pueblo County in second half 73-57.
- Junior Daylen Kountz getting more and more comfortable as an Angel scoring 27 points in Denver East's win at DPL foe Lincoln.
- Thirteen players in the scoring column led by Cameron Miller's 17 in No. 6 Holy Family's blowout of Berthoud.
- No. 4 Sand Creek is having some issues and will drop again this week after being upset this time by Discovery Canyon 61-43.
- Tyson Gilbert and Sam Masten score 17 each for No. 6 Rock Canyon as they pull off the win vs. young Chaparral.
Saturday, Feb. 4
- Two of our state's top point guards got it on Saturday in Grandview's LeChaun Duhart and Cherokee Trail's Jaizec Lottie. However, it was big man Gage Prim who controlled this game for the Wolves with a 26-point, 12-rebound double-double! Grandview is on a nice run and no one will want to see their guard/big man tandem late in the season. Don't forget about the Cougars either who's lead point guard Lottie is averaging 20 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists despite missing four games due to injury. "Our team has to keep working," said Lottie in our Ball Fever chat this week. Our Fever Crew has talked with top recruiters who believe Lottie would have 10-15 Division I offers if he were on the east or west coast. We have no doubt the right opportunity will come for the lead point guard! Lottie finished our chat just as you would expect from a commanding PG: "Some games we play better than others, and at this point we need to play consistent and strong in order to make a run." We covered Lottie's 32-point game in win last week and he's poised to get his team back on track late in the season.
- Top 3 action on Saturday night? Dennis Pleuss has Jalen Sanders 16 points leading to Valor's big win over D'Evelyn.
- Garrett Martin scored 18 and Standley Lake was up at the half but not enough to hold off No. 6 Golden's comeback 55-48!
- High academic senior Ikenna Ozor stung my Arap Warriors on Saturday with 16 points in the 5th ranked Raptors 25-point home win.
- To end this week's coverage No. 1 Pueblo West led from beginning to end in 70-56 win over Falcon.
The Look Ahead
Monday, Feb. 6
- Montbello (FNE) looking for the road win at Lincoln after taking down D South!
- More solid DPL action as Thomas Jefferson travels over to GW.
Tuesday, Feb. 7
- Holy Family looking for win 16 at Windsor.
- Northridge visits Centaurus.
- Boulder and Fossil Ridge say hello!
- Vista PEAK hosts Gateway in A-Town.
- No. 1 ThunderRidge will get tested at Chap!
- Thompson Valley and Silver Creek.
- CO Springs athletes from Doherty come on down to Denver East!
- Legend travels to Rock Canyon. Great crowds here!
Wednesday, Feb. 8
- Tough task in Wheatridge's trip to Valor.
- Is it possible to quietly be 18-1 Chatfield? Headed to Ralston Valley.
- A-Town Pride: Overland and Cherokee Trail!
- Sand Creek trying to recover vs. Falcon.
- "Centennial Tough" Grandview/Eaglecrest is HUGE.
Thursday, Feb. 9
- Longmont vs. Silver Creek!
- Niwot & Thompson Valley always a banger.
- Montbello (FNE) headed over to DPL foe TJ!
- Rangeview looking to dominate EMAC vs. Hinkley.
Friday, Feb. 10
- Windsor and Mead battle!
- Holy Family vs. Erie.
- Parker, stand up! Chap at Legend time!!
- Eaglecrest goes to Cherry Creek. Never easy.
- Chatfield charges into Bear Creek.
- Valor tested at Evergreen!
- Records out the window in Mountain Vista and ThunderRidge.
- Rock Canyon invades Highlands Ranch.
Saturday. Feb. 11
- Arap vs Smoky Hill in Centennial.
- Denver South gets a shot at East in DPL!
- Cherokee Trail at Rangeview will be rockin!
- Niwot at Silver Creek.
- Overland tries to cool off Grandview.
Get out and support these neighborhood teams, folks. Only a couple more weeks of regular season action.