Not sure we can even call some of these upsets any more, folks!
The ball is getting good and ranked teams continue to get caught by hungry teams. The parity is beginning to show in our big school ball which will make for an exciting post season, but we still have plenty of action before we get there!
The midweek Fever report took a look at Week 8's early action and stat leaders. Let's see how the remainder of the week played out.
A Look Back
Thursday, Jan. 26
- Sierra knocking on that 4A top-10 door again and pulled off a tight 1-point win over Widefield behind CJ Jennings 29 point, 6 rebounds, 4 assist, 3 steal effort — "stat-stuffin!" This is the Stallions' second one-point win of the week and senior leader Jennings stated, "Two tough games last week. I feel like the Mesa Ridge game made us better. We were down the entire game, their biggest lead was 15, but we had a 'We aren't losing' attitude." In our Ball Fever chat CJ added, "Derrian Reed hit crucial free throws and we got strong when we needed to. Mesa's a great team and I think we suffered a hangover vs. Widefield coming out sluggish, not executing when we should of which gave Widefield a chance to win but in the end we made plays and made it out with the win." Jennings is averaging 29 points and has the play making ability to cause a ton of trouble for any 4A team Sierra sees late season. Impressive, CJ!
- Doherty is another Springs squad just outside the top-10 as well but capable of beating anyone on a given night if Brevin Brimble heats up and he scored 18 in their lopsided win over Liberty.
Friday, Jan. 27
- Fever Crew got out to Rangeview this week and was treated to another 20 plus effort from Matt Johnson Jr., the floor leader for the Raiders in their 8-point win over Vista Peak. Rangeview jumped out to a 10-2 lead with Johnson's energy leading the way. The closed out the first half with 7 points in the quarter from confident looking sophomore Jodaun Dotson. The Bison have two of their own, Marquise and T'Rae, who were both impressive scoring double figures and driving the lane hard. When Vista PEAK scrambled and made it close it was some nice inside moves late by the Raiders big man Ryan Ongala that helped seal it. Rangewiew takes early control of the EMAC!
- GW big man, 6-foot-8 Tray Pierce, the "Rim Protector", had 6 big blocks but added 8 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 steal in the Patriots' road win at a packed Denver South.
- Northridge making their argument to get back into the 4A top-10, knocking off No. 5 Silver Creek by 7. Tremendous defense got it done giving up 6 points or less in two quarters.
- Golden, now No. 7, pulled off a 13 point win over feisty Wheat Ridge.
- We'll be looking at a new No. 1 in 4A as Sand Creek loses another by double digits this week! Lewis-Palmer took control with a 26-10 second quarter and never looked back after seizing control.
- Pueblo West, No. 2 in 4A, staking its claim to regain the top spot spanked Pueblo East by 32!
- Big scoring nights for Ikenna Ozor and Victor Garnes lifted No. 5 Eaglecrest to a key league win over Overland.
- Senior Michael Ward continues his strong play scoring 25 for Mead in the 10 point win over Roosevelt.
- Holy Family, back in top 10, has some solid soph's and this night Tanner Baird scored 17 in the win over Skyline.
- Score keepers looking for overtime pay! Prairie View edges Hinkley 93-91 in a fun one! Spencer Wilson with 31 for PV.
- Jalen Sanders with another stand out 30 point performance in Valor's key league win over Green Mountain.
- Grandview completed the season sweep of Smoky Hill with those familiar names Duhart and Prim leading the way. This time they were joined by senior Kain Mack's 10 points.
- Watch this Vista Ridge squad folks! They followed the win over No. 1 Sand Creek with a 61-38 victory over Falcon where seniors Noah Beatty and Hunter Maldonado combine for 48!
- Senior Michael Dillon's 16 cooled off a hot No. 3 D'Evelyn as Evergreen pulled of the upset!
Saturday, Jan. 28
- No. 1 ThunderRidge flexed its Continental league musle putting a whoopin' by 27 points on Legend with junior Kaison Hammonds leading with 24 along with Corey Seng's 20.
- The Fever Crew is fully aware the "Bellos" Montbello (FNE) Warriors have a little talked about beast in senior Aaris Bonds, who dazzled the Thunder Dome crowd on Saturday with 26 points (10 rebound double-double) scoring in a myriad of ways, but it wasn't enough to take league foe Denver East who leaned on Daylen Kountz's 20-point effort to hold on for the 4 point win.
- Lottie's back! Cherokee Trail is a totally different team when the floor leader Jaizec is healthy and his 26 points helped the Cougars clinch a "barn burner" 77-75 win over a solid Cherry Creek squad. Lottie added 5 rebounds and 9 assists, "stat-stuffin"!
- Doherty showing off some its future with Kyrele Benford scoring 19 along with fellow junior Joseph Golden adding 14 in the win over Liberty.
- PG Isaac Essien is back for Mountain Vista and Jake Belknapp scored 21 but not enough to stop No. 6 Rock Canyon's 30-point fourth quarter explosion leading to 8-point Jags win.
A Look Ahead
Monday, Jan. 30
- Silver Creek, 12-2, heads to Summit.
- Denver West at the Bellos (FNE) in city action!
- CJ taking Sierra to tangle with Elizabeth.
- East and Denver North in DPL.
- Vista PEAK looks to rebound vs. Northglenn.
Tuesday, Jan. 31
- Silver Creek at Niwot battle!
- Northridge & Thompson Valley defensive test.
- Kennedy at GW in city ball.
- Mountain Vista getting healthy faces Legend.
- Fossil Ridge travels over to 14-win Fort Collins up north!
- Rock Canyon down I-25 to Douglas County.
- Holy Family at Frederick.
- The annual Heritage/T-Ridge battle gives Eagles shot at No. 1!
Wednesday, Feb. 1
- Chatfield only has one loss but Lakewood is a tough opponent to play!
- ThunderRidge invades Aurora at Hinkley.
- Cherry Creek at Overland in Centennial fun.
- Arapahoe looking to pay 16-1 Grandview back for loss at Sitting Eagle.
- D South looks to bounce back at Highlands Ranch.
- C Trail at Smoky Hill will be packed A-Town!
- D'Evelyn visits Wheat Ridge.
- Top 10 4A action with Valor and Golden!
Thursday, Feb. 2
- Slow night in 5A/4A big boy action but: Denver South and Montbello (FNE) get it on and will be exciting!
Friday, Feb. 3
- Denver East travels over to Lincoln.
- Chaparral and Rock Canyon is nice Continental action!
- ThunderRidge protects home court vs. H-Ranch.
- Mead headed over to Frederick.
- A-West visits Chatfield in Jeffco!
Saturday, Feb. 4
- Golden and Standley Lake high noon!
- Columbine at Lakewood.
- Gets no better in PG play with Grandview/C-Trail!
- Braggin' rights: Smoky Hill & Overland.
- Arap visits Eaglecrest.
- Wheat Ridge at Evergreen in the evening.
- Nice way to end the week: Valor vs. D'Evelyn in top 4A action!
The first month of 2017 was action packed and first week of February has us just as excited! Enjoy, folks.