Week 1 was called "action-packed" and Week 2 didn't let us down, starting with an explosive night on the first day of the week!
The remainder of our hoops week was solid, as well, with awesome in and out of state non-league action along with busy tournament play that gave hoop fans plenty of options.
Week in review
Monday, Dec. 7:
- Our favorite tweet of the week came from our Colorado Springs supporter and club coach JJ Brimble when he stated, "It's only Monday...but I'm gonna go ahead and give Mike the player of the week now..." referring to Northern Colorado commit Michael Ranson's 59-point explosion on Monday night. Check out Ryan Casey's recap of Ranson's night and game winning bucket.
- Matteo Busnardo scored 23 for Mullen but it wasn't enough to top Max Castillo's hot hand from 3-point land and 22 points as Mountain Range wins this one by 10.
- Kyle Ryenearson's 15 points took down our Ball Fever "sleeper" 4A squad Sierra this night as Broomfield won big by 17.
- George Washington has faced an extremely tough early season schedule which saw them drop from our CHSAANow.com 5A top-10 and the DPL hopefuls slide continued as Boulder had three double digit scorers led by Luke Wilson's 15 in the Panthers 10-point win.
- Elijah Coleman's 21 led Aurora Central cooling off a hot Monarch team to keep an eye on.
- Denver South was looking to get on track and a 28-point effort from Chudier Bile helped them do just that with 65-59 win over Greeley West.
- Wheat Ridge won big over Alameda with Nicco Young and Xavier Dreiling both scoring 11 in a lopsided win over Alameda. First-year coach Marquette Williams will pull the Alameda program together. FRESHMAN ALERT: Wheat Ridge has a big 6'8 youngster named Zeke Van Tuyl who scored his first varsity points with 6, and 1 rebound. Van Tuyl has the height and size to be a force.
Tuesday, Dec. 8:
- The Fever Crew made it out to the Ralston Round Up Tournament for an early FNE Warriors and Mountain View match up where we were treated to OT! Jose Orrantia and Dennis Landry were highly impressive scoring 20 points each but it wasn't enough as sophomore Sindou Cisse calmly set up in the corner for this "walk-off" 3-point game-winner:
- We also got to take in our two new members in the CHSAANow top-10 as Rock Canyon looked as if they belonged while drubbing a short-handed Arvada West by 28 points in tournament play. Noah Beck led balanced and tough Jags with 17 points.
- Got to see Grand Junction this week as they took Legend down to the wire so Uintah's 1-point fourth quarter comeback on them is even more impressive.
- Ball Fever had to "dig" a bit for this one and check out Will Ross who had an 18-point, 13-rebound effort as Palmer handed Douglas County their first loss.
- Balance is the name of the game for No. 2-ranked ThunderRidge and Austin Mueller's 21 points led four Grizzlies in double figures as they took it to the up and coming Smoky Hill Buffaloes 81-46.
- Thomas Bravo scored 18 points and Dakota Ridge was in control headed into the fourth quarter but couldn't hold Legend off as the Titans win by two, 46-44. Riley Matticks led Legend with 12 in the win.
- No. 4 Rangeview put a pounding on Poudre 85-40 led by Tyrel Randall's 21 and junior Matt Johnson's 13.
- Our 4A No. 6 Pueblo West continued to roll as they took the 67-61 win over Liberty. TJ Clark Jr. with 21 in the loss.
- There was anticipation of No. 1 Overland taking on sharp-shooting Kolton Peterson at Lakewood but Peterson had to miss the bout due to injury and the Trailblazers took full advantage romping 74-38 at Lakewood.
- 4A No. 1 Longmont looks focused and balanced as three players scored in double digits in the 79-33 thumping of Weld Central.
Wednesday, Dec. 9:
- Another classic Aurora vs. Denver battle and Andre Lyesight has your report on a game between No. 4 Denver East and No. 10 Cherokee Trail where David Thornton showed up BIG again.
- Chatfield is playing strong ball, off to a hot start! Matt Mathewes has your photos.
Thursday, Dec. 10:
- The young GW Patriots have faced an ultra strong non-league schedule so far but this night they cruised to a 17-point win over Columbine.
- Look at DSST Green Valley Ranch rolling up some serious points in the 92-20 win over Atlas Prep led by Jadyn Michael's 19 points.
- Ponderosa linked a couple wins in a row as they got the 12-point win over Fort Morgan.
- Grand Junction Central got defensive, only giving up four points in the fourth quarter to defending 4A champ Air Academy winning 48-35 on the road.
- A little Ball Fever "dig" found a nice 17-point, 12-rebound "double-double" from Widefield's Tre Pierre but it wasn't enough as Alamosa won by 10.
- Kolton Bachman (30) and Justinian Jessup combine for 50 points as No. 1 Longmont more than doubled Frederick 85-41.
Friday, Dec. 11:
- No. 1 Overland flexed their home court muscle only allowing 39 points to Chaparral while big De'Ron scored 22 and slick Reggie Gibson added 21 in the win.
- Broomfield continues impressive early start with 26-point lopsided win over Fairview. Broomfield was balanced while the Knights provided another Ball Fever "dig" for stats with senior Chris Weatherly dropping 30 points, including 8-10 from 3-point arc!
- We have a sneaky suspicion Chatfield will be busting it's way into our CHSAANow top-10 this week and Matt Matthewes has your visual peek at the action in a solid win over Lincoln.
- Cherokee Trail was point guard strong vs. a good Boulder squad Friday night with Jaizec Lottie scoring 15 points and speedy KJ Sapp dishing out 8 assists in a tight 2-point win for the Cougars.
- Things looking better for Thomas Jefferson vs. 4A competition as they earned a 12-point win over Mead with Ravel Moody clocking a 24-point, 10-rebound double-double.
- Jalen Sanders' 17 points lifted No. 2 Valor to a 20-point win at Columbine.
- Don't look now but Holcomb has been beating some teams up and finished the week with a 15-point win over Palmer Ridge.
- Fever predicted C. Trail and Denver East to get big wins on Friday night even after they beat one another up a bit earlier in the week. The Angels kept their end of the bargain up with a nice two-point road win at always touch Cherry Creek with transfer Daytone Jennings "straight going off!" for a 28-point, 14-rebound double-double. FRESHMAN ALERT: Chap has a very strong looking 6'4 freshman Bryce Matthews who scored 13 in the loss.
- Coach Rogers has Grandview playing better than expected early behind some huge performances from Lashaun Duhart but they couldn't slow down the red-hot Rock Canyon crew who took home the Ralston Round Up tournament 62-48. Colin Rardin scored 22 and soph Sam Masten added 20.
- Windsor is a tough 4A squad and proved it vs. No. 4 5A Rangeview battling to the end but Tyrei Randall's big boy 29-point, 6-steal, 3-assist "stat-stuffin" effort earned the Raiders the win.
- Denver South's roster is looking a lot more settled and it showed as they played Aurora Central tough but Ladarius Thomas exploded for 30 points as the Trojans won late by 3.
- Is it possible for our 5A No. 6 squad to be doing things quietly? Colbey Ross and the Raptors continue lopsided wins 84-45 at Falcon.
Saturday, Dec. 12:
- The Legend Titans will take a slight drop in our 5A top 10 as they lost in the Smoky tournament final to a game Lakewood squad that went unbeaten in the tourney and knocked off Legend by two in the finale.
- Rivalry renewed as Windsor took down Thompson Valley with Colton Mclean scoring 27 points and seven 3-pointers!
- "All Aboard!!!!" the Raider train that is rolling as Rangeview swept through the Poudre/Fort Collins tourney and in the final "football tough" Elijah Reed dropped a season high 21 points. The Raiders have a ton of weapons!
- What a week for Cherokee Trail as they finish with 17-point win over Highlands Ranch and it was Ronnie Barfield's turn to lead with 13-point, 5-rebound day.
- Did not expect the CO Springs "Braggin' Rights" game of Doherty and Sand Creek to turn into a laugher but Brevin Brimble and Dalven Brushier combining for 48 points, 24 each heated things up on a cold night for the 88-54 win.
- Another top-10 squad not being discussed a lot yet is the No. 7 Regis Raiders. Their showdown with Denver East was postponed so we didn't get a close look at them but the Raiders took their show on the road and won an out of state tourney over Pinnacle, Ariz. Geoff Kelly is ready to lead and scored 18 points in the final.
- No stats submitted unfortunately but Pueblo West and Pueblo South looking to stay firmly in the 4A top 10 as they scored 92 and 88 points respectively in Saturday wins!
- "Ummm....uhhhhh" remember way back at the top of this when we talked about Michael Ranson lighting up 59 and claiming player of the week honors on Monday? Well he capped that thought with a 52-point blast for Pueblo Central in blowout over Summit.
A look ahead to this week's top games:
Monday, Dec. 14:
- Legacy at Mountain Range.
- Gateway at George Washington in A-Town vs. Denver pride match.
- Castle View at Arvada West.
- Rampart visits Denver South.
Tuesday, Dec. 15:
- 4A Thomas Jefferson will head into a red-hot Cherokee Trail gym.
- Highlands Ranch at Valor Christian for suburban flavor!
- We expect Chatfield to move into the top 10 this week as they visit Mountain Vista.
- Doherty, fresh off a whoopin of Sand Creek, heads to Legend who is looking to bounce back from first loss.
- Golden at Fort Collins is solid up north.
- Smoky Hill at Rangeview for Aurora braggin' rights.
- Mike Ranson looks to light it up again as Mesa Ridge visits.
Wednesday, Dec. 15:
- A lil neighborhood rivalry with Heritage visiting Arapahoe!
- Brighton tangles with No. 1 Longmont.
- Two teams that will want back in to the top-10 in Arvada West at GW.
- The FNE (Montbello) Warriors will travel south on Peoria Street to Aurora Central.
Thursday, Dec. 16:
- Rangeview in for solid test at Cherry Creek.
- Will Eaglecrest finally get tested at Boulder?
- Chatfield at Palmer.
- Mountain Vista and Lakewood will get up and down the court!
- Pueblo South is rolling and visits Vista Ridge.
Friday, Dec. 17:
- Aurora Central at Boulder.
- Pueblo South at Mitchell.
- Possible game of the week with No. 2 Valor at Pueblo Central and hot Mike Ranson.
- Poudre's turn to take a shot at No. 1 Longmont!
Saturday, Dec. 18:
- George Washington continues the tough non-league schedule at Regis.
- Legend at Liberty.
- Arapahoe at Dakota Ridge is two tough squads!
- The FNE (Montbello) Warriors head up Chambers road this time to visit Hinkley.
- Can Mead be the first true challenge for Pueblo South?
- Windsor at No. 1 Longmont is best of the day!
Great to see the non-league schedules with so many top squads taking each other on early in the season we wouldn't normally see. Part of what makes CO hoops great! Get out and enjoy...