Our title of upsets and big games can't be used again but it certainly could have applied in the last week of the season.
More surprises, top teams falling, upsets, and stand out performances in the final week of regular season. Simply "wide open." Let's check it out and get prepped for tourney play!
Week In Review
Tuesday, Feb. 17:
- The Fever Crew made it out to Prairie View for senior night. Two special young men, Luke Schwindaman and Alonzo Ramirez, were honored as the squad's two leaders! Good kids who are a reflection of their awesome families. An honor to coach these two. The senior night was ruined, however, by a very rude visit from Rangeview and Elijah Reed who scored 23 of the Raiders' 106 points. Senior Jalen Davis added 18 in the win.
- How about seven Patriots scoring in double figures as new DPL champ George Washington ran up 102 points in win over Denver North. Outstanding freshman Daylen Kountz led with 16 on the night.
- Brady Subart with 15 points, but more importantly the best two of the night came on the game winner vs. Regis! Check out our report and photos.
- Low-scoring and a slug fest all the way but Castle View got a big win for their program 43-39 over Highlands Ranch.
- The Northglenn program continues to improve and Jacob Montour's 20 points were big in a signature league win 58-53 over Aurora Central. Northglenn's only league loss coming to Rangeview this season.
- Fossil Ridge fell from our top 10 but don't be fooled by that as they went into Fairview and earned a 62-45 road win with Ryan Quaid scoring 26 points!
- Rock Canyon came in at No. 5 in this week's poll but Danny Garrick's 17 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists led three Legend Titans in double figure scoring leading to the big 2-point road upset.
- Grand Junction wrapped up the South Western league with 43-38 win over Fruita Monument. Ridge Droskin with a 17 point, 10 rebound double-double.
- What a 4th-quarter comeback as Thomas Jefferson scored 34 to complete the 70-67 win over Lincoln. Josh McNair and Ravel Moody fueled the charge scoring 20 points each, with McNair adding 10 rebounds for the double-double.
- Senior night at Chaparral and how about celebrating by beating No. 1 ThunderRidge 66-42? Wow, quite a night for Chris Moody who capped senior night with a "monsta" double-double of 32 points and 13 rebounds in the upset. Fellow senior Jake Holtzman added 17.
- Fort Collins receiving to 10 votes recently and kept the momentum rolling with a 65-50 win over Broomfield led by Jacob Pfaffinger's 14 points.
- Luke Golter with the big 25 point night as 4A No. 3 Holy Family took down Berthoud by 18 points.
- David Simental scored 16 points in the crucial league victory for Pueblo West over Pueblo Central. Both will be tough in 4A tourney!
- JT Johnson's 19 points helped Vista Peak wrap up the Colorado 7 league with a 65-44 win at Sky View.
Wednesday, Feb. 18:
- Golden with a win over their rival Wheat Ridge that puts them one win away from a league title! Dennis Pleuss has your coverage.
- Dylan McCaffrey led four Valor Christian Eagles in double figures with 16 points in the hard fought win at D'Evelyn.
- The big four for Overland took care of business as Reggie Gibson, De'Ron Davis, Austin Conway, and Ryan Swan were all in double figures as the T'Blazers won 73-60 over Cherokee Trail. Big De'Ron was in "beast mode" with 21 points, 16 rebounds, and 8 blocked shots!
- Tyler McFarland led No. 7 Dakota Ridge's balance with 15 points on this night in win over Bear Creek.
- Cherry Creek with the 70-53 Centennial win over Arapahoe and your action shots are here.
Thursday, Feb. 19:
- Silver Creek battled tough at home but couldn't stop Justinian Jessup's 24 points while Longmont won league undefeated! Like the 5 steals Mr. Jessup!
- We like it! Another Sabercat stepping up as Fossil Ridge secured a share of league title with Zacc Drovdal scoring 18 in the win over visiting Boulder.
- It couldn't have been pretty but Triston Von nieda's 12 points easily led all in Fort Collins 39-26 low-scoring league-share win over Poudre.
- No stats from Monarch something tells me they are not concerned as they roll to 20-3 record and completely under the radar after a season-ending 2-point win at Mountain Range.
- Windsor sure threw a monkey wrench in the mix as they upset No. 3 Holy Family 68-61 despite Luke Golter's 29 points.
- Sierra makes it a perfect 14-0 as league champs with a 10-poit win over Widefield. Our southern "source" Big Herm says CJ Jennings is the typical Springs lead point guard and he had 14 points, 8 assists in this win.
Friday, Feb. 20:
- Coach Wood wasn't calling the No. 8 Mountain Vista squad's win over No. 1 ThunderRidge an upset at all! Check out Matt Mathewes with the coverage of the Eagles' big season-ending win. Brady Subart with 20 points and the senior had one heck of a week!
- Big De'Ron did the work inside for Overland as they locked up the Centennial League title with 70-56 win over a feisty Grandview. Davis with 17 points, 6 rebounds in the win that will likely set the Blazers up with a overall No. 1 seed in 5A tourney.
- Tyler McFarland scored 17 to help Dakota Ridge finish regular season strong with win over Ralston Valley.
- No. 2 Regis has a way from bouncing back from losses and after losing to Mountain Vista this week they made Ponderosa pay! Jack Eberhard with the action shots.
- Air Academy locked things up down south with a huge 32 point 10 rebound double-double from David Louthan in the season finale win over Cheyenne Mountain.
- The annual Chap/Legend tangle is always fun and both teams looking good for tourney play. Jared Small had one of his best performances scoring 24 points, 7 rebounds and Danny Garrick hit five 3-pointers for Legend in the 6 point rivalry win.
- 37 was the theme of the night as Denver South surprised Denver East at home in season finale. Check these double-double's as Chudier Bile scored 37 points and pulled down 10 rebounds (7 blocks) while East's Brian Carey scored 37 points with 11 assists. Big Chuck Gavin also big for the Rebels in the win scoring a 16 point, 12 rebound double-double. We predict the Rebels just earned a No. 1 seed in 4A and will be tough!
- Rampart wins the league down south but Fountain Fort Carson was determined to finish strong with the 8 point home win. Pulled away with a 12-5 third quarter.
- Thomas Neff only hit one three on his way to 20 points in Arvada West's road win at Bear Creek but he is now 5A's 2nd all time leading three point shooter!
- Tarren Storey-Way's 22 points and Tyrei Randall's 20 led Rangeview to win over Gateway that left them undefeated in league!
- Golden closed out the 4A Jeffco play with Ryan Thistlewood scoring 18 in the big win at D'Evelyn.
- The Fever Crew made it out Friday to watch Montbello and Thomas Jefferson tune up for their prospective tourney and 4A TJ was "game" early with Jalen Rose giving them a fast start with 12 points and Josh McNair added 21 but the Bellos seniors Troy Green's 27 and Malik Hart's 17 was just too much. Very intriguing teams to follow tourney-wise.
- What a tangle down south in Pubelo and No. 9 Pueblo South mixed things up even more with the season ending 2-point win over No. 6 Pueblo West.
Saturday, Feb. 21:
- Glenwood Springs made it a perfect 14-0 in league play as they took down Palisade out west with Brian Burbidge and Everett Marr both scoring in double figures.
Well folks, from the very beginning we talked of a "wide open" 4A & 5A season. The regular season proved those thoughts were right and it proved for very good ball at both levels.
No more articles, twitter, papers, rankings, etc. Simply time to prove it on the court!