Last week was again full of surprises with new players and teams stepping up each night. There are two constants that stand as we enter February however: 5A No. 1 Regis Jesuit and 4A No. 1 Longmont remain our sole undefeated squads!
Let's review the action.
Week In Review
Monday, Jan. 26:
- Quite an impressive performance by Eaglecrest as the Raptors invaded the Angels house and was up by 23 at halftime in this 5A top 10 matchup. Jack Buckmelter led the Angels with 16 points but it wasn't enough to slow Peter Anderson and Elijah Ross' "guard show"! Anderson ended the game with 25 (18 of that came from his hot left hand in first quarter) while Ross finished with 19 points, 3 assists. Brian Carey and Jordan Willis both had double-double stat nights of their own leading a second half charge for the Angels but the deficit was too much to overcome. Quite a road message sent by the Raptors!
- Paul Ambuul's 23 points, 8 rebounds helped Air Academy win the overtime session 11-3 for the 8-point win over Falcon.
- Dennis Pleuss was in the house as the young Lakewood Tigers upset No. 4, and previously undefeated, Dakota Ridge.
Tuesday, Jan. 27:
- Donovan Oldham scored 17 to push Rampart's 13-point win over Fountain-Fort Carson.
- Abraham Lincoln's 23-12 third quarter stretch put them ahead for good in the solid home win over Montbello 67-53.
- Castle View played tough and home and was winning going into the fourth quarter but Chaparral's Chris Moody's 24 point, 13 rebound double-double helped earn the 1-point win.
- Well "hello" D'Eaundrey Twilley! CHSAA had it covered on his huge double-double for Mitchell vs. TCA.
- Chris Arehart's 28 points (10-10 free throws) helped Broomfield get the tight win 48-44 over Fairview.
- Pam Wagner caught Braxton Bertolette's 19 points, and another double-double for Ryan Quaid as Fossil Ridge traveled to Horizon.
- Two "double-doubles" from two guys on the same night? Pretty rare, but check out Tarren Storey-Way's 17 points, 11 rebounds and Tyrei Randall's 19 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists, and 6 steal for a true "stat-stuffer" of the week performance in Rangeview's win at Adams City.
- Regis had another balanced win as they poured it on Douglas County and Jack Eberhard was "snappin pics."
- George Washington's young squad is looking to cause more trouble in DPL play as they beat Thomas Jefferson by two with Jervae Green and Jeremiah Hyppolite scoring 19 points each. Josh McNair had 11 point, 13 rebound double-double along with Jalen Rose's 19 points in the loss.
- D'Shawn Schwartz led three players in double-digit scoring as Sand Creek got the 15-point win over Vista Ridge. Hunter Maldonado had 23 points, 7 rebounds, 7 steals in the loss.
- Another upset as Heritage took down No. 7 Mountain Vista. Matt Mathewes' photos!
- Monarch continues to roll along with 86-59 over Loveland. The 25-14 second quarter started the stretch.
- Need to see this good looking soph down south at Pueblo West, David Simental, who scored 26 points (5-5 free throws, 3-3 behind the arc) helping P West pull away from Pueblo Centennial.
- Dan Morhman was on site as Sierra took care of some serious business in a big win over Widefield.
- Jacob Montour's 17 point, 13 rebound helped Northglenn earn the 16 point conference win over Prairie View.
- Jalen Sanders led Valor Christian with 23 points, 7 steals in the Eagles 24-point road win at Standley Lake setting up a big game vs. D'Evelyn on Thursday.
- Talk about balance! No. 1 Longmont got 13 points from three players remaining undefeated in home win over Silver Creek.
- The 5A Continental teams won't find it easy when they visit 4A Ponderosa but Rock Canyon's Tyler Garcia's 18 points helped the Jags hold on to a 3-point road win.
- Holy Family got 26 points from Chris Helbig along with 21 from Luke Golter to stay unbeaten in league with win over Windsor.
- How about a "Double" double-double alert for Denver South's big men! Chudier Bile piled up 25 points, 16 rebounds along side big Chuck Gavin's 19 points, 18 rebounds in a fast paced 101-86 win at Denver North. Michael Deleon with 32 points, 7 rebounds for the Vikings in the loss.
- Widefield came into this one playing strong of lately but Sierra was having none of it as they started the game 20-8 en route to a 77-39 thrashing led by Ke'Andre Lewis' 20 point, 11 rebound double-double.
Wednesday, Jan. 28:
- Dakota Ridge continues to keep the stats "a secret" but they are back on the winning track after 20 point win over Ralston Valley.
- Cherokee Trail had 13 players get in the scoring column led by David Thornoton's 20 points in league win over Arapahoe.
- Lewis-Palmer's Jonathon Scott got hot for 22 points and Dan Morhmann has the fans covered.
- Big De'Ron logged another 22 point, 10 rebound double-double and junior guard Reggie Gibson added 15 points, 6 assists in win over Grandview.
- Paul Ambuul's double-double of 20 points, 10 rebounds along with Austin Dewing's 19 helped Air Academy pull away from Cheyenne Mountain.
- Tough "back to back" for Lakewood as they lost by 1 in overtime to Columbine.
- "Well, hello!" Daytone Jennings as he joins the party with a "monsta" 36 point, 16 rebound double-double as a new addition for Aurora Central's win over Thornton.
Thursday, Jan. 29:
- Lincoln used 10-point advantages in both the second and third quarters to eventually win by that 20-point margin as Denver West paid a visit.
- Doherty wasn't a very nice visitor as they traveled over to Pine Creek down south winning by 18 points behind 20 from Brevin Brimble and 20 from Dalvin Brushier (7 rebounds, 7 assists).
- How about five players in double figures for Golden as they won by 25 over Arvada.
- Dennis Pluess has the story and photos covered for us on the night Fever "favorite" Grant Witherspoon scored 11 big ones in a row to help D'Evelyn pull the upset over Valor.
- Fairview went to the extreme "stall and slow down" game holding the rock for minutes at a time per possession and it slowed Boulder for a while but Landon Taliaferro's 13 and Garrett Turner's 11 points gave the Panthers the rivalry win.
- Ray Ibarra scored 21 points and Tre Pierre's double-double of 14 points, 11 rebounds led Widefield to the win over at Woodland Park.
- Marcus Cassin scored an important 13 as Evergreen got the tight 1-point overtime win over Standley Lake. Connor Durant scored 20 in the loss.
- Out west Grand Junction got defensive only giving up 28 points to Grand Junction Central in the blow-out rivalry game.
- TJ Clark Jr. with a solid 17 points to help Liberty win by that same margin over Palmer.
- Deven Nelson scored 24 for Mesa Ridge but it wasn't enough to sop Sierra from landing the road win.
Friday, Jan. 30:
- Big De'Ron landed a 21 point, 11 rebound double-double as Overland handled Mullen. Nate Davis with 17 in the loss.
- No. 2 Thunderridge got a double-double from big man Zach Pirog in what the Fever crew says was his "best game thus far" for the Grizzlies and jumping out 23-11 on Rock Canyon did the trick. Mitch Lombard scored 20 in the loss.
- How about Tyler Converse's perfect 13-13 from the free throw line leading to 28 points and Legacy's 5 point win over Loveland.
- Ryley Stewart had a "monster" double-double of 29 points, 10 rebounds lifting Highlands Ranch over No. 7 Mountain Vista and Matt Mathewes caught the cool pics.
- Smoky Hill gave the Raptors a scare but Colbey Ross is back in the line up scoring 20 points for Eaglecrest along with Blend Advili's double-double of 15 points, 12 rebounds led to a 5-point win.
- Fossil Ridge remains unbeaten in league play and Ryan Quaid's 19 point, 12 rebound double-double did in Broomfield.
- Pam Wagner was on the scene as Northglenn got the league win over Adams City.
- Aurora Central has picked up some size in 6-foot-7 transfer Daytone Jennings and his 14 point, 13 rebound double-double helped the Trojans put away Westminster.
- Grandview needed a league win and got just that vs. Arapahoe behind Andrew Joiner's 24 points and Jared Burr's amazing 12 point, 15 assist double-double!
- Had to check-in via twitter with our guy Grant Witherspoon to ensure a second quarter shut out, along with only giving up 19 total points wasn't a typo! Witherspoon, who scored 26, confirmed D'Evelyn is "yessir! playing some defense" after the win over Arvada.
- The Cougars trying to keep their league title hopes alive got an important 1-point win over Cherry Creek led by Ronnie Barfield's 15 points.
- A 35-point fourth quarter by Rangeview had the scorer's table working hard in a 99-point effort from the Raiders in win over Thornton. Tyrei Randall scored 22 and Jalen Davis added 20 in the win. Dee Henderson with 18 points, 9 rebounds in the loss.
- Peter Wilson's 16 for Chap helped keep Douglas County winless in tough Continental league play.
- Andrew Romero poured in 27 points for Mountain Range in 13-point win over Rocky Mountain.
- JT Johnson's 19 points helping Vista Peak stay unbeaten in league play after beating Weld Central by 15.
- Monroe Porter with a lil "stat-stuffin" of his own in Legends road win at Ponderosa: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals!
- Luke Golter's 20 points helped Holy Family stay undefeated in league with win over Frederick.
- Jervay Green's 25 points helped George Washington even their record at 9-9 with a huge road win at Denver South. Chudier Bile had 25 points in the loss.
- Jonathon Scott at Lewis-Palmer (yes, another Scott Brother!) had another big night with 27 points in a key league overtime win where LP handed Sand Creek their first league loss.
- 4A top 10 match up! Pueblo Central's 25-11 2nd quarter did the trick to beat Pueblo West by 9. David Simental with 26 in loss.
- Justinian Jessup led three in double figure scoring for No. 1 Longmont with 18 points as they won big again over Centaurus.
Saturday, Jan. 31:
- Our state's top squad Regis pulled away from another winning 57-38 at home over Heritage.
- Whoa! The Fever crew had a chance to catch Sand Creek last month and was impressed which truly makes us wonder, "how good is this Rampart squad?. Rampart won by 18 points and Clayton Hacker led 5 players in double figure scoring with 17!
- Big one in Jeffco 4A, and Brian Miller wrote about the special start Golden is off to. The visiting Valor Christian Eagles were having no part of backing down to hot Golden as their 23-7 fourth quarter sealed the 23-point road win.
- Palmer pulled off a sweet road win for the Terrors 48-45 over Doherty.
- Starting to get the feeling Brian Carey doesn't mind being on the big stage of the Saturday afternoon "ThunderDome"! Last time out he rocked ThunderRidge with 44 points and this time it was Montbello who suffered Carey's 34 points, 10 assists, 5 steals in the Angels DPL win.
A Look Ahead:
Monday, Feb. 2:
- Hungry for hoops? Out west: Vail Christian at Eagle Valley.
- Closer to town? Bear Creek at Gateway is your option.
Tuesday, Feb. 3:
- No. 1 Regis will be tested at Rock Canyon!
- Highlands Ranch at Heritage will pack the suburbs gym.
- Action packed night in the Front Range! Mountain Range at Boulder will provide the action!
- Denver South at Lincoln will provide the DPL action on the night.
- Liberty at Doherty provides the 5A southern tussle.
- Denver East paying a visit to Thomas Jefferson will provide "above the rim" city action!
- Pueblo West at Pueblo South is a priority for southern 4A "top 10" match-up fans!
- Check out 4A's No. 1 squad Longmont as Northridge gives it a shot.
Wednesday, Feb. 4:
- Where do you arrive early in the Centennial? Eaglecrest at Overland!
- Rampart at Legend? Hmmm...who's the real 5A contender?
- Palmer at Pine Creek.
- Jefferson County Folks, very simple: GET TO ARVADA WEST AT DAKOTA RIDGE!
- Air Academy at Sand Creek in southern squads we may be discussing all month.
- Lewis-Palmer at Vista Ridge.
- Can D'Evelyn stay hot vs. Standley Lake? Golden visits a tough Conifer.
Thursday, Feb. 5:
- Douglas County heads north to Fort Collins.
- Brighton at Northglenn.
- Harrison at Mitchell.
- Mountain View at Thompson Valley.
Friday, Feb. 6:
- Overland has to be careful to focus because Smoky Hill will fight hard on their home floor.
- If No. 1 visits Highlands Ranch anything can happen in this league match. Throw records out window!
- The entire Continental is just "beating each other up" this Friday.
- Our Fever Front Range "favorite" is Loveland visiting Fossil Ridge.
- Two of the best guards in the state as Brian Carey pays a visit to Michael Sparks at Lincoln.
- Big time southern "braggin rights" as Doherty visits Rampart.
- Dakota Ridge is in control of league but can't underestimate visiting Columbine.
- Lewis-Palmer at Falcon.
- Palmer Ridge at Air Academy.
- Valor at Conifer.
- Evergreen at Golden won't disappoint.
- Pueblo Central at Pueblo South.
- 4A No. 1 Longmont will be tested at Niwot.
Saturday, Feb. 7:
- Prairie View at Horizon if up north.
- Fountain Fort-Carson at Palmer down south.
- Ummm...just saying: Holy Family at 4A No. 1 Longmont is simply your Saturday "top spot"!
This is a tough week to decide where to go! Hey, Colorado — the point is: just get out there and support the hoops!