If our league play was "heating up" previously, it is now on fire! We had record individual performances along with team surprises last week.
Striving to be your "one-stop shop" for the hoops review and preview of the week to come ...
Week In Review
Tuesday, Jan. 20:
- Game of the night was the "city vs suburbs" match of No. 9 Denver East visiting No. 1 undefeated Regis Raiders. The Fever crew caught this great game which turned out to be the tale of two half's as Regis was as efficient in the first as the Angels were aggressive in the second. Jack Eberhard was also in the house as Taylor Kallsen's "fade away" won it for the Raiders. Check the photos here. We caught the game-winner of this classic:
- Chaparral had 4 players score in double figures led by Chris Moody's 18/10 double-double as they used a 19-10 fourth quarter to close out the 67-48 win over visiting Highlands Ranch. Ryley Stewart scored 23 for the Falcons in the loss.
- Niwot got the 5-point win over Mountain View and check this cool one-handed shot by senior Johnny Drake courtesy of our Ryan Casey. All net AMAZING!
- 5A No. 2 ThunderRidge kept on moving forward holding Castle View to an amazing 25 points. Can the student section yell, "DEFENSE"?
- Rampart had twelve players hit the scoring column led by Donovan Oldham's 15 points in the win over Pine Creek.
- Expected this one to be a little tighter but Mitch Lombard's 11 points, 7 rebounds helped 5A No. 8 Rock Canyon cruise to 52-36 win over Heritage.
- Mountain Range playing well at 12-3 but a battle-tested Fossil Ridge came in and got the win by 10 led by Andrew Semadeni's 17, Brady Menefee's 16, and Ryan Quaid's 11 point, 13 rebound double-double.
- Fort Collins won big at Legacy with Brian Read scoring 18 points, with 7 rebounds. Tyler Converse scored 17 in the loss.
- 4A top 10 match as Pueblo Central pulled the upset over Pueblo South behind Michael Ranson's 32 points. Not to be outdone Jared Baros also scored 32 in the loss.
- Nice statement win for Northglenn with the 54-52 decision over Montbello. Malik Hart had 20 in the loss.
- The Fever crew expects Ponderosa to be a late season surprise in 4A but their 5A Continental foe left little doubt in this one winning 74-51 behind Ray Beresford's 19 point, 11 rebound double-double.
- Huge double-double for Denver South's Chudier Bile of 30 points, 11 rebounds in the Rebels win at Gateway.
- Our Fever crew "source" Big Herm (Herman Reese) down South has advised more than once for folks to keep an eye on Tre Pierre who had a 13-point, 11-rebound double-double for Widefield in their win over Canyon City.
- No. 1 in 4A Longmont kept the streak alive vs Thompson Valley with Blake Ogrady scoring 15. Thompson Valley played tough at home and Jake Hornick scored 21.
Wednesday, Jan. 21:
- The Warriors have been awaiting a break out game from athletic Troy Green and he delivered with 28 points, 8 rebounds as Montbello beat visiting Prairie View by 15. Luke Schwindaman put in 18 in the loss.
- Blend Advili led four Raptors in double figures with 17 as Eaglecrest took down rival Cherokee Trail to remain unbeaten in league play. David Thornton continues his solid play with 21 points, 7 rebounds in the loss.
- Dennis Pleuss was on hand as D'Evelyn got defensive only allowing 28 points to Green Mountain.
- Check out Luke Neff knocking down 8 three point shots for 24 points as Arvada West took down Chatfield by 7.
- Jack Eberhard was on the scene again to catch Reggie Gibson taking the lead role this night for Overland as they claimed a key league win over Cherry Creek.
Thursday, Jan. 22:
- Widefield quietly taking care of business and Brandon Branch scored 15 in win over Classical Academy. Addrienne Hampton added 12 point, 14 rebound double-double.
- Another Sabercat stepping up as Zacc Drovdal scored 20 points and dished out 4 assists as Fossil Ridge won on the road at Greeley West. Darren DeLaCroix had 17 points in the loss.
- Well, well, well! Certainly hope this puts the nonsense about Brian Carey having to do all the scoring for Denver East to rest! Jack Buckmelter scored 41 huge points on 11 made three pointers while Carey dished out an amazing 17 assists! Both tie state records with sixth-best in the respective 3-point makes and assist categories (Ryan Casey research there!). The Angels rocked JFK 88-39.
- Deven Nelson scored 18 points with 9 rebounds as Mesa Ridge beat Harrison by 5.
- Jose Arrantia scored 15 as Mountain View pulled out the 1-point win over Centaurus. Mike DeVries had a 21 point, 10 rebound double-double.
Friday, Jan. 23:
- Zach Marburger was on hand in the emotional OT victory for Rock Canyon over Chaparral.
- We got one of those Centennial league Friday night "classics" in Overland taking down Cherokee Trail 81-75 in overtime. Big De'Ron logged a big time triple-double of 21 points, 16 rebounds and 10 blocks in the win. Smooth Jaizec Lottie with 22 points, 4 assists in the loss.
- Jack Eberhard says a "team effort" brought home the win for No. 1 Regis over Legend. Eleven points each from three players!
- Senior guard Dalontae Kelly with a nice stat line of 5 points, 9 rebounds, and 11 assists as Smoky Hill beat Mullen by 19.
- Dakota Ridge's undefeated record was clearly tested as they were down to Bear Creek to start the fourth but won that quarter to beat Bear Creek by 3.
- "Up Next" junior Elijah Coleman scored 21 points, with 9 rebounds as Aurora Central "put a hurtin" on Prairie View.
- Tommy Baumgartner led with 15 points as Boulder got the road win at Broomfield.
- Rivalry! Ralston Valley edged Pomona by four and Pam Wagner caught the action.
- Monarch got a key league win over Fort Collins by 4 points in overtime. Triston Von Nieda scored 17 in the loss.
Talked about this last week and Brevin Brimble is heating up for Doherty as he scores 27 points, including 6 three-pointers, as the Spartans beat Coronado by 9. Kayden Washington added a double-double of 15 points, 12 rebounds.
- Thornton got a league win over Brighton up north and Keondre Weinand had 13 points, 9 rebounds.
- Rangeview set a league message getting a 16 point win over Northglenn. Tarren Storey-Way led four in double figures with 16 points, 8 rebounds.
- Nick Capaul's 21 points helped Golden stay unbeaten in league with win over Wheat Ridge.
- Fever crew made it out to a thriller on Friday night at Denver South as the Rebels won a 82-79 OT match vs visiting Thomas Jefferson. Big Chuck Gavin's 20 point, 20 rebound "monsta" double-double was too much. Senior Turner Dumas Peterson had a line of 20 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists. Moody had 21 in the loss and Sergio Garcia added 17 but fouled out which hurt the Spartans late. Sophomore Ravel Moody sent the game to OT with this bucket:
- Joe Decoud scored 21 helping Lewis Palmer win by 8 over Air Academy.
- Starting to hear this name Khameron Davis mentioned among the best in class of 2016 and he scored 19 in Valor Christian's win over Arvada. Vedin Kozic with 22 in the loss.
- Pueblo West now in 4A top 10 and David Simental's 18 points helped get the win over Pueblo County.
Saturday, Jan. 24
- The "young guns" at George Washington pulled a big DPL upset in our first Saturday "Thunderdome Throwdown" 55-45. Jeremiah Hyppolite led three in double figures with 14 points for the Patriots.
- Chris Helbig scored 19 points for Holy Family as the won by 13 in the rivalry game vs Broomfield.
- Big Zack Pirog put in 19 points as No. 2 ThunderRidge handled Highlands Ranch 65-42. Ryley Stewart scored 25 in the loss.
- 4A No. 4 Pueblo South drove north to challenge 5A Cherry Creek and the Bruins used a 21-8 first quarter to grab the 70-53 win.
A Look Ahead:
Monday, Jan. 26:
- How about starting the week off with a 5A top to match with some of the top guards in the state? Get to Denver East early as Eaglecrest comes to visit!!
- Lakewood tries to blemish Dakota Ridge's undefeated record.
- Air Academy at Falcon.
Tuesday, Jan. 27:
- Legend at Highlands Ranch would be our pick in the Continental league this night. Mountain Vista at Heritage good as well.
- Fossil Ridge at Horizon is our pick in Front Range play.
- Like the DPL action in Montbello at Lincoln and George Washington hosting Thomas Jefferson.
- Grand Junction at Fruita Monument.
- Fountain Fort-Carson at Rampart.
- We'll take Prairie View at Northglenn in East Metro.
- Rock Canyon at Ponderosa.
- Widefield at Sierra down south.
- Silver Creek at No. 1 Longmont.
Wednesday, Jan. 28:
- Cherry Creek at Smoky Hill looking good in Centennial play.
- Ralston Valley at Dakota Ridge.
- Thornton at Aurora Central for a little East Metro separation.
- Take your pick down south in Pikes Peak 4A!
Thursday, Jan. 29:
- Boulder at Fairvew renewing their rivalry!
- Doherty at Pine Creek. Palmer at Liberty in C.S. Metro.
- D'Evelyn at Valor Christian our 4A game of the night!
Friday, Jan. 30:
- Cherry Creek at Cherokee Trail caught our eye in Centennial play.
- Mountain Vista at Highlands Ranch for southern bragging rights.
- ThunderRidge will have their hands full with the Rock Canyon guards in a fun one!
- Rivalry night in Jeffco led by Ralston Valley/Arvada West.
- George Washington at Denver South.
- Lewis Palmer at Sand Creek.
- Pueblo West at Pueblo Central in 4A top 10 match!
- No. 1 Longmont at Centaurus.
Saturday, Jan. 31:
- Rare Saturday night chance to catch No. 1 Regis as Heritage pays a visit.
- Get in that line early as "The Bellos/Angels" is always fun at the Thunderdome!
- Palmer at Doherty for some down south bragging rights along with Rampart at Sand Creek!
- Our game of the night: Valor at Golden in 4A top 10 action!
Get out there and support the hoops Colorado!