Entering Week 6 of the hoops season, we remain wide open in classes 4A and 5A boys.
League play is beginning and a few transfers becoming eligible to keep an eye on. The two spots of consistency were easily our CHSAANow.com top-ranked squads Regis Jesuit in 5A and Longmont 4A. Can they remain undefeated? Let's catch the action.
Week in review
Monday, Jan. 12:
- Denver North is quietly 10-4 after their 20-point victory over Alameda. Congrats to the Vikings on the success!
- A lot of conversation lately about Brian Carey's early season scoring and shots for No. 10 Denver East. We have preached for a while that as the season continues and this Angels squad starts to find its identity he will have many more nights like this "stat-stuffin" 26 point, 3 rebound, 5 assist, 3 steal at Chatfield in the 71-58 road win. Colorado Academy transfer Jack Buckmelter played his first game with the Angels and his immediate contribution: 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists. Jordan Willis added 13 points, 9 rebounds as well. Yeah, with this balance the defending champs will be March trouble for someone.
- Pomona got the 7 point win over Arvada in part to a 17-11 third quarter. Oscar Morales was "on fire" in the loss scoring 33 points on 9-11 shooting, 4-7 from 3-point land!
- Matt Mathewes was on-point with the action photos from Monday's 5A top 10 match up between No. 7 Montbello hosting No. 8 Mountain Vista. Ray Beresford and Brady Subart were "stat-stuffin" for the Eagles in the tough loss. Malik Hart stole the show with 34 points for the Warriors in the exciting overtime win and the Fever crew was there to catch the key CJ Whittington play that sealed it:
- The "double double" machine Dee Henderson continues his work for Thornton with 15 point, 12 rebound effort in Thornton's win over Gateway.
- Ladarius Thomas was "the man" for Aurora Central this night scoring 23 points in the Trojan's 2 point win over Bear Creek.
- Adams City started 20-6 in first quarter vs. Englewood and never looked back in 78-46 thrashing. Stephen Lippincott 22 and Orlando Ruiz 21 points in the win.
- Josh McNair continues to look like that 4A player of the year candidate with huge 25 point, 14 rebound double-double in Thomas Jefferson's 51-43 win over Westminster.
Tuesday, Jan. 13:
- The Fever crew made it out to No. 1 Regis hosting No. 7 Montbello on this night. The Warriors looked tired from the previous night's overtime tangle with Mountain Vista but held their ground in the first half training 30-24. The Raiders transition and "3-point barrage" took over the second half. Regis hit 13 three pointers as a team and "stat-stuffer" of the week nominee, Bryan Staerkel made 5 threes for 21 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists in the lopsided 80-47 win. Here are photos from the game.
- 4A No. 7 Holy Family won by 19 at Skyline and Chris Helbig scored 19 along with Luke Golter's 15 in the win.
- Highlands Ranch won this "city vs. suburbs" match when Aurora Central traveled south 50-39. Ryley Stewart led three Falcons in double figures with 14 points, 7 assists in the win. Elijah Coleman with another point effort for the Trojans in the loss.
- Fort Collins remained unbeaten in Front Range league play with 49-42 win over streaking Boulder. A balanced team contribution from all with Triston Von Nieada leading with 9 points, 7 rebounds.
- 5A No. 2 ThunderRidge traveled to Pine Creek and it was never close in the dominant 69-33 win.
- Legacy held on for the 63-61 win over rising Northglenn. Dalton Royer's huge night of 25 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assist was big for the Lightning.
- Pueblo West getting 23 top 10 votes in our poll and David Arrieta's 17 point, 2 rebound, 3 assist night helped get the road win at rival Pueblo West 74-51.
- Thompson Valley is undefeated in league play and earned a 54-48 win over Mountain View and Jake Hornick busted out with 27 points.
- Tim Wyatt led four Raiders in double figuring scoring with 16 and Tarren Storey-Way's "double-double" of 15 points, 10 rebounds helped Rangeview get back to it's winning ways at George Washington winning by 8.
- Doherty got a key win in C.S. Metro 5A play, 70-65 over Rampart, led by Brevin Brimble's 18 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks. Donovan Oldham (18 points, 12 rebounds) and Jackson Ehrlin (12 points, 11 rebounds) both had "double-doubles" in the loss.
- Oh boy! This soph continues to pop up on the radar weekly and Kolton Peterson's 40 point, 4 assist, 3 rebound, 1 steal night also included this game-winning 3-pointer for Lakewood at Hinkley:
- Widefield getting some top-10 votes but Mesa Ridge held on for the two point win Caleb Stewart's 21 point, 11 rebound double-double was a huge part of the win.
- Owen Riley had a big 25 point night out west as Battle Mountain logged a 58-50 win over Summit. Zach Johnson with 14 point, 10 rebound double-double in the loss.
Wednesday, Jan. 14:
- Air Academy got extremely defensive in this 4A top-10 match and Dan Morhmann was all over the impressive effort for the No. 8 Kadets. Check Caden Colson's photos here.
- Cherokee Trail undefeated in early Continental league play with win over Grandview and David Thornton's 29 points, 9 rebounds was big time. Andrew Joiner led the Wolves with 24 in the loss.
- 4A No. 2 Golden held off D'Evelyn's upset bid and Dennis Pleuss caught the action.
- Dakota Ridge, 5A's No. 3 squad, quietly "trucking along" undefeated and earned a tough 50-45 win at Columbine. Keaton Matthies 24 points in the loss for the Rebels.
- Versatile Jonathon Scott's 21 points helped Lewis Palmer log the 14 point home win over Falcon.
- Cherry Creek got the win over Mullen in Centennial play and Jack Eberhard snapped the shots. Nate Davis with a huge 29 point, 11 rebound double-double in loss.
- Arvada West was "feelin it" with 6 players scoring double figures in their 90-71 win over Pomona led by Thomas Neff's 21 point, 10 rebound double-double.
- Jose Arenas (23 points) continues his hot scoring streak as Lincoln won easily over Thornton.
- Check out Mike Robinson over at Bruce Randolph with a "monster" 22 point, 18 rebound double-double in the North Vikings win over Bruce Randolph.
Thursday, Jan. 15:
- Brevin Brimble with another 21-point effort and Dalven Brushier got a 14-point, 10-rebound double-double but it wasn't enough to get the win vs. Fountain-Fort Carson who used a 22-16 fourth quarter to seal it.
- Justinnian Jessup's big night kept 4A No. 1 Longmont undefeated and Kai Casey logged the photo report.
- The Chap "senior duo" of Jake Holtzman and Chris Moody both with 20-plus points again in the Wolverines road win at Liberty.
- Chudier Byle made his presence felt for Denver South as he chimed in with a 27-point, 11-rebound double-double in Denver South's road win at Mesa Ridge. Chuck Gavin added an 11-point, 14-rebound double-double of his own!
- Brady Subart with the hot-hand for Mountain Vista vs Fairview and Matt Mathewes reported.
- Rangeview took a few tough losses recently and they "took it all out!" on their league foe Aurora Central in a 86-60 win in the Trojan's backyard. Kris Hollins had 16 points in the win and Elijah Reed added 8 points, 13 rebounds.
- Get used to hearing that name Justinnian Jessup who scored 23 points for 4A's No. 1 Longmont vs Mountain View.
Friday, Jan. 16:
- 5A No. 4 Eaglecrest continues to impress as they won by 21 points over Cherry Creek in Centennial League play. Jack Eberhard is a man "about town."
- Ponderosa a 4A Continental league team can't be forgotten as they surprised Highlands Ranch in their gym with a 3-point win, led by Steve Aiken's 20 points.
- Legend Titans were on a roll but tough Continental League play has begun and Brady Subart's hot hand cooled the Titans, as Matt Mathewes reports.
- Our state's No. 1 squad Regis shot a rare 4-18 from 3-point land but still found a way to win by 16 over Castle View.
- Everyone contributed for Overland as they poured it on Arapahoe led by Alijah Haliburton's 15 points.
- 4A No. 5 Holy Family got 25 points from Chris Helbig in 9-point win over Mead. Pam Wagner was on site for the top-10 matchup.
- 5A No. 2 ThunderRidge handed rival Heritage its first league loss in the 54-44 win.
- KJ Sapp kicked in 13 points, 5 assists for Cherokee Trail as they finished the week 4-0 in league play after the win over Mullen.
- Westminster got its second win of season despite Fairview's Chris Arehart's 29 points.
- D'Evelyn looking good of late and Christian Denton's 12 points led four scorers in double figures in 17-point win over Standley Lake.
- Dakota Ridge finishes week undefeated with 70-62 win over rival Chatfield.
- Solid 8-point home win for Northglenn over visiting Lincoln who had been on a nice roll of late.
- Extreme team balance for Prairie View in 53-51 win over Brighton. Three players score 9 points each.
- Windsor now 9-3 after 20 point win over rival Berthoud led by Noah Baldwin's 17 points, 9 rebounds.
- 4A No. 4 Sand Creek 5-0 in league play after 11-point win over Falcon.
- Valor Christian defense strong from beginning to end in lopsided win at Evergreen, led by Khameron Davis' 17 points.
- Thompson Valley 4-0 in league play. Looking forward to next week's match up with Longmont after 67-63 overtime win vs Niwot.
- Vista Peak got 20 points from Isaiah Young in 10 point win over Elizabeth. Sets up a big game for them vs 5A Rangeview.
- The Pinnacle's Josh Brown had a monster dunk in a win over The Pinnacle. Watch it here.
Saturday, Jan. 17:
- The game of the night was at Fossil Ridge as unbeaten No. 1 Regis came north. The SaberCats came out strong with a 21-8 first quarter advantage but Regis flipped that in a 23-8 third quarter going on to win by four. Bryan Staerkel scored 18. Here are photos from the game.
- Ryley Stewart being his steady self for Highlands Ranch as they got a win at Grandview by 5 and Stewart scored 22.
- Tim Wyatt with a solid 19 points as Rangeview won an Aurora battle over 4A Vista Peak by 22. Elijah Reed with 10-point, 11-rebound double-double.
- Despite Matthew Cameron's 20 points Sand Creek was able to pull off the 3-point win at Palmer Ridge to stay undefeated in league.
- In an anticipated DPL battle the seniors did not let us down as Chuck Gavin collected a 18-point, 18-rebound double-double for Denver South and Josh McNair piled up 20 points, 16 rebounds, 8 assists for Thomas Jefferson. However, the man of the day was Thomas Jefferson sophomore Ravel Moody who blew up for 34 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists. But it wasn't enough to stop the Rebels from the 5-point road win.
- Wow: hands down, the duo of the week was Chap's Chris Moody (22 points) and Jake Holtzman (26 points) as they did it again in the Wolverine's 15 point win at George Washington.
- Donovan Oldham "stat-stuffin" for Rampart in win over Palmer: 22 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks.
- In the words (or tweet) of Andrew Romero, "who had us at 12-2?"! Mountain Range won big over Ralston Valley and Romero dropped 28 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals.
- Justinian Jessup was again huge for 4A No. 1 Longmont as a tough 5A Montbello played a visit. Jessup finished with 21 points, 4 assists, 6 steals as Longmont came out strong and held off the Warriors.
A Look Ahead:
Monday, Jan. 19:
- Hungry for action on Martin Luther King Day Jr. Holiday? Bear Creek at Gateway is the only big school match on the slate.
Tuesday, Jan. 20:
- All eyes will be on the East Angels as they travel to No. 1 Regis Raiders on this night. Some have hyped this game as Angel's Brian Carey vs the "team ball" of Regis. Don't be fooled! These are both great teams, well coached, and should be a classic!
- Highlands Ranch at Chaparral in two senior led teams.
- Heritage at Rock Canyon will be a good one of teams vying to rise in Continental play.
- Fossil Ridge at Mountain Range is the big game in Front Range.
- Down south? Check out Liberty at Fountain-Fort Carson.
- Two teams that will be trouble in March: Montbello visits Northglenn.
- Mountain Vista's Continental visit to 4A Ponderosa should not be taken lightly!
- Holy Family at Erie.
- Palmer Ridge at Vista Ridge.
- Sierra at Harrison.
- Big time Northern Conference action as No. 1 Longmont heads to Thompson Valley where both are undefeated in league play.
Wednesday, Jan. 21:
- Two undefeated Centennial League squads get it on in Cherokee Trail at Eaglecrest.
- Overland at Cherry Creek never fails for excitement and will have an impact in league standings as well.
- Prairie View at Montbello in a nice non league match!
- A hot sophomore, Kolton Peterson, will lead Lakewood into unbeaten Dakota Ridge.
- Sand Creek at Cheyenne Mountain looks like the top option down south!
- Valor Christian can't take Conifer lightly as they come to Highlands Ranch.
- Throw records out the window in Evergreen and 4A No. 1 Longmont.
Thursday, Jan. 22:
- A bit of a light night but Denver East at JFK.
- Mesa Ridge at Harrison.
Friday, Jan. 23:
- The Trailblazer house will be packed as Cherokee Trail comes to visit Overland.
- Two Continental League tilts that deserve attention in No. 1 Regis at Legend and Chaparral visiting Rock Canyon. Like senior leadership? Catch one of these two games!
- Take your pick of Front Range match ups where teams will continue to "toughen each other up."
- Chatfield and Columbine rivalry action!
- Sharp shooting all around in Arvada West at Lakewood.
- There's a new contender in 5A East Metro: Get out and watch Rangeview and Northglenn tangle!
- How sweet is it that we are treated to this re-match so soon: Denver South hosts Thomas Jefferson in a possible "instant classic!"
- Air Academy at Lewis Palmer.
- Wheat Ridge at Golden.
- Pueblo County at Pueblo West.
- Greeley Central gets their shot to host 4A No. 1 Longmont!
Saturday, Jan. 24:
- We like the 4A vs. 5A non conference action in Pueblo South at Cherry Creek!
- Ahhh yes, the suburb battle of Highlands Ranch at ThunderRidge.
- Green Mountain at Ponderosa.
- Broomfield at Holy Family.
- Mead at Silver Creek.
- "Thunder Dome Saturday": Throw records out the window. There's no stage to prove you "have game" in Colorado than the Saturday afternoon on the "east side" as Montbello and GW get it on!
Enjoy the hoops folks as our non conference action starts to wind down and the league battles heat up!!