Welcome back and Happy "Hoops" Year prep fans! The first month of the season left us wanting more and the first week of 2015 certainly didn't disappoint.
Teams are shaking off the early rust and beginning to find their identity. Let's get the second half of the season going with last week's big performances.
Week in review
Saturday, Jan. 3:
- It wouldn't be right if we didn't start this week off with a performance which may stand as the best comes season's end as Denver East point guard Brian Carey was "stat-stuffin" in a major way vs 5A No. 2 ThunderRidge with 44 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals in the Angels 63-59 Thunderdome victory. The Angels took their lumps as Carey was out with an injured ankle but he reminded us that with a cast of new Angels figuring things out the defending champs will not go down easy to anyone!
- Friday night Fort Collins crossed the border to take on Cheyenne East (Wyoming) and Triston Von Neda's 14 points, 6 rebounds wasn't enough to pull off the victory on the road.
- Palmer used a 26-point fourth quarter to come back on Vista Ridge and win by 10. Hunter Maldonado dropped 21 for Vista Ridge in the loss.
- Heritage blew Green Mountain away behind Tom Skufca's 22 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 assists 72-37. Jack Peck added 19 points.
- Pueblo West cruised over Canon City and sophomore David Simental looking good with 23 points, 6 assists, 2 steals.
- Our No. 1-ranked 5A team Regis Raiders showed absolutely zero rust coming out of the winter break sending Grandview to 5-3 with a lop-sided 88-41 thrashing at home. In true Regis fashion Marc Reininger led three double-figure scores with 14 and 12 Raiders hit the scoring column in this one. Check out Jack Eberhard's action shots here.
- Boulder continued their nice start advancing to 6-2 with a 77-54 win over Chatfield. The Boulder High Athletics twitter handle had Garrett Turner finishing with 23 points and Jack Boyle 19.
- Kyle Leahy's 14 point, 9 rebound, 4 assist night helped Erie even up at 4-4 with a 43-32 win over Fort Lupton.
- George Washington posted a solid 18 point victory over visiting Arapahoe on Saturday. These are two young teams with very few seniors that continue grow confidence. Ryan King led with 15 points in the loss for the Warriors.
- 5A No. 8 Cherry Creek suffered itsfirst loss just before break in tourney play and bounced back with an impressive road win at Rangeview 70-62. The Bruins outscored the Raiders 17-8 in the first quarter on the road — tough to do! Jalen Davis led Rangeview with 16 points. Jack Eberhard with the cool shots here.
- Sierra was not playing around as they took down 4A No. 7 Pueblo Central by 17 on the road. Ke'Andre Lewis led four in double-figures with 15 points, 8 assists.
- Rock Canyon is quietly at 9-3 after a road victory at Smoky Hill 68-53. Mitch Lombard with 15 and Isaac Hirch's 14, 8 rebounds led the way.
- Wheat Ridge now 6-1 behind Damina Padilla's 18 points in huge win over Denver West.
Monday, Jan. 5:
- Lots of drama on and off the floor in Dakota Ridge at Highlands Ranch Monday night. Dakota Ridge's 17-8 fourth quarter advantage helped them stay undefeated along with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer. Ryley Stewart stays the picture of consistency for H-Ranch scoring 25 points including 6-9 from behind the arc in the loss.
- The Fever crew made it out to an intriguing 4A/5A match where 4A No. 6 Sand Creek visited 5A No. 7 Montbello. Senior Garrett Bingham had the stroke early and D'Shawn Schwartz is a strong lefty soph, but that smooth guard from the Warriors Malik Hart, again rose to the top scoring 31 points and dishing out 5 assists in the Bellos 71-66 win.
- Wow: Lincoln started the 1st and 3rd quarters extremely hot leading to their 76-58 win over visiting Doherty behind senior Jose Arena's 33 point, 4 rebound huge night. Fellow senior Michael Sparks also added 21 for the Lancers.
- Alonzo Ramirez caught fire for Prairie View scoring 26 points with 5 three-pointers and 6 assists in their tight 1-point victory over Pomona. Fellow senior guard Luke Schwindaman added 12 points in the win.
- Stephen Lippincott scored 25 for Adams City as they held on for the 1 point win over Denver West.
- Falcon pulled off the upset of 4A No. 3 Pueblo South as Shaun LiVecchi's 14 point, 9 rebound effort led four players in double figures.
Tuesday, Jan. 6:
- Andrew Romero came into 2015 with his hand still hot logging a 20 point, 10 rebound double-double as Mountain Range edged Northglenn by two. Pam Wagner with the photo report.
- Lincoln is forming quite a "duo" themselves in Michael Sparks (33) and Jose Arenas (28) who combined for 61 points in the Lancers blow out of Westminster. Coach Valdez, no surprise, has Lincoln improving game to game.
- Tuesday night the Fever crew headed over to George Washington for our first look at No. 1 Regis Raiders. The young Patriots, with four freshman/sophomore varsity contributors, gave Regis all they could handle for 3.5 quarters but the Raiders defensive intensity and leadership took over. After being down 4 at halftime Regis seized a 25-12 advantage in the 3rd quarter and never looked back. Jack Eberhard was in the house for photos.
- Quentin Guitierrez's 21 points and Jeremiah Pruitt's 20 points, 9 rebounds helped Pine Creek get the 65-59 win over Fountain Fort Carson.
- Jontrell Herman used a perfect 10-10 from the free throw line to earn 28 points on the night in Castle View's road win over Hinkley.
- Austin Hartman scored 23 and Jackson Engles flirted with the "triple-double" (16 points, 10 rebounds, 9 assists) as Silver Creek pulled away from Roosevelt by 18.
- Our Fever "pal in Parker" Kevin Keyser was at the Wolverines shop for a highly anticipated match up between Chaparral and visiting Overland. Big De'Ron Davis led three Trailblazers in double figures as our coaches poll No. 4 took down No. 3 in an impressive road win for Overland.
- Our "Fever fav" Grant Witherspoon doing his thing for D'Evelyn with 27 points as they get the big win over 4A foe Thomas Jefferson. Josh McNair with 24 points, 7 rebounds in the loss. Two of 4A's best going at it there!
- The anticipation of this one didn't last long as Pueblo Central jumped out to a 23-4 first quarter advantage and Michael Ranson scored 23 in a lopsided win over Kent Denver.
- 4A No. 1 Longmont "doubled-up" Centarus 70-35 as Justinian Jessup led with 16 points. Clint Sigg added 14 points, 8 rebounds, 5 steals.
Wednesday, Jan. 7:
- Overland got conference play off to a win with a balanced effort 64-50 over Mullen. Austin Conway's 23 points, 7 assists led the way for Trailblazers while Mullen athletic wing Nate Davis had a monster double-double of 30 points, 15 rebounds in the loss.
- Dennis Pleuss was all over the 4A top 10 matchup of Golden and Conifer.
- Blend Advili's 25 points along with Colby Ross' 22 helped Eaglecrest beat Smoky Hill 86-64 on the road.
- Matt Mathewes was on point with the action as the Neff brothers were "stat-stuffin" leading the way in Arvada West's rivalry win over Ralston Valley.
- Jack Eberhard has you on the spot photos for Cherokee Trail's league-opening win over rival Cherry Creek in overtime. Jaizec Lottie led 3 Cougars in double figuring scoring with 11 points.
- Jared Burr helped Grandview earn that first Centennial win with 22 points in the 10 point win at Arapahoe. Andrew Joiner added 17 points.
- Another rivalry Match up north as Jacob Montour's 24 and Jonah Radebaugh's 26 points was too much for Thornton on this night.
- Big win for Prairie View, who is quietly at 7-3, with Luke Schwindaman and Alonzo Ramirez both scoring 14 points in victory over Fariview.
Thursday, Jan. 8:
- Coach Valdez has the Lancers playing strong ball despite not having some strong transfers hitting the court as many hoped. Lincoln held court 64-59 over visiting Broomfield.
- The Fever crew had to catch Denver East visiting Chaparral where Brian Carey's unbelievable 46 point night was overshadowed by the Wolverines senior duo of Jake Holtzman and Chris Moody. Our main man, Ryan Casey, has you covered if you missed it.
- Palmer jumped out 17-6 over Liberty and Antonio Handford's 18 points, 6 rebounds helped seal the win.
- Tyler Converse was "stat-stuffin" again with 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals in Legacy's win over Westminster.
- Grand Junction traveled west to Jordan and DJ Wells 17 points led three in double figures but wasn't enough to get the road win.
- Matt Mathewes has the photos and run down of Mountain Vista Brady Subart's late game heroics in an exciting finish over Fossil Ridge.
- This sophomore David Semental keeps popping up on the radar and his 27 points, 3 steals, 4 assist helped Pueblo West beat Montrose by 13.
- Sierra wasn't messing around as they jumped out to a 26-3 start and Tevion Thompson's 22 points helped stop Mesa Ridge.
Friday, Jan. 9:
- Friday's top game was a top 10 match featuring Overland's visit to Eaglecrest and Kevin Keyser got up close and personal! Check out Brock Laue's coverage of the Raptors taking advantage of De'Ron Davis's absence.
- David Thornton scored 22 points and a new name to the Fever crew, Isiah Gilbert added 19 as Cherokee Trail logged their 2nd league win over Smoky Hill. Watch out for sophomore Shae Wyatt who scored 27 for the Buffaloes in the loss.
- 5A's No. 1 squad was flexing their perimeter muscle as they knocked down 14 three point shots on the road at Rangeview in a convincing 78-53 win. Jack Eberhard was on site.
- Nice city vs. the suburbs match up as Highlands Ranch traveled to 4A Thomas Jefferson. Josh McNair and Pat Sullivan did not let their perspective squads down! Sullivan hit an amazing 7 of 11 three-pointers leading to 31 points, but McNair's "stat-stuffer" of the week performance of 27 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, and 1 steal helped the Spartans secure the 4-point home win.
- Dennis Pleuss covered Dakota Ridge remaining undefeated and holding off a feisty Arvada West.
- Arapahoe held off a late Mullen run to get Coach Jansen's first Centennial win behind Kyle Lukasiewicz 18 points led the way.
- Castle View defended their home court despite Thornton's Dee Henderson's 17 point, 10 rebound double-double.
- 4A No. 6 Sand Creek got it done over No. 3 Air Academy and Dan Morhmann was all over it.
- Mountain Vista 10-2 at the halfway point and continue to look ready for the tough continental league as Ray Beresford and Brady Subart both in double figures in the win over Fountain Fort Carson.
- Despite big man Tristan Von Neda's 10 point, 10 rebound double-double Rock Canyon won a slug fest 47-43 led by Tyler Garcia's 11 points.
- We mentioned to R-E-L-AX on the early criticism of Legend hoops and they are now on a seven-game win streak. They traveled to George Washington and got the 14-point win on Friday.
- Donovan Oldham scored 14 points and Rampart finished the fourth quarter 25-8 to shut down Montrose.
- This young soph Kolton Peterson continues to light it up and his "stat-stuffin" 33 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists led to Lakewood's 9-point win over Pomona.
- Another "stat-stuffin" nominee as Elijah Coleman scored 25 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block but it wasn't enough to stop 5A No. 2 ThunderRidge 's size from getting the road win.
- The rosters are different but always fun when we can get a 4A title game rematch! This time big Chuck Gavin made his presence felt for Denver South with 9 points, 12 rebounds and point guard Devante Loggins rare double-double of 10 points, 11 assists helped the Rebels secure the 20-point victory over Pueblo East.
- Serious balance as JT Sheperd led five Lewis Palmer players in double figure scoring with 14 points as they earned the 5-point win over Vista Ridge. Hunter Maldonado scored a big 25 in the loss.
- Grant Witherspoon's 18 and Cameron Brown's 13 points helped D'Evelyn to a 6-point win over Wheat Ridge.
- 4A No. 7 Pueblo Central back to its winning ways with Michael Ranson and Kobi Betts again scoring big time in the win over visiting Ponderosa. Ranson 11-11 from the free throw line!
- 4A No. 1 Longmont made it a perfect 9-0 with a 7-point win over at Northridge.
- Terae Johnson scored 17 as Coach Childress' Vista Peak squad quietly trucks along at 7-3 after the win over visiting Fort Morgan.
Saturday, Jan. 10:
- Had to do a "double-take" at this score, but Heritage poured it on Mullen 70-36 and quietly moved to 8-3 overall. Eric Lawson led 3 players in double figures with 18 points for the Eagles.
- We had a top 5 matchup in 4A between Air Academy and Pueblo South and Caden Colson was snapping the action.
- Boulder held on for the 57-51 win over sliding Rangeview Saturday. Brutal recent schedule for the Raiders, Panthers improving!
- David Simental scored 17 points and Pueblo West got a strong road win at Rampart69-65. Donovan Oldham with 14 point, 11 rebound in the loss.
- Doherty earned an overtime win vs. Liberty and Emin Cecanjanin's 15 points, 7 rebounds led the way.
- Ray Chen was out South for a highly anticipated top-10 4A match where Golden visited Valor Christian. Cole Greff and Ryan Thistlewood both in double figures!
- Windsor, now 6-3, traveled to Rock Springs and got the 7-point win and Landon Schmidt's 16 points, 5 rebounds were big.
- Holy Family, now in 4A, has started 7-2 and Chris Helbig's 17 points along with Luke Golter's 23 points were a part of the tight 45-43 win over Machebeuf. Sam Donnellon with 15 points and Kyler Hensel's 12 led Machebeuf.
- Niwot and Silver Creek both 7-3 after as Niwot finished the second half strong for the 11-point victory.
- Greeley West pulled away from Greeley Central and Cordell Gillingham's 18 points led the way in this rivalry game.
Monday, Jan. 12:
- Mountain Vista at Montbello in a battle of thriving 5A squads
- Thomas Jefferson travels to 5A Westminster
- Manual at Denver West in DPL play
Tuesday, Jan. 13:
- Boulder at Fort Collins
- Monarch at Fossil Ridge
- Northglenn at Legacy in a better battle than folks may think!
- Montbello at No. 1 Regis in a possible game of the week!
- Rangeview at George Washington — both need a win!
- ThunderRidge at Pine Creek
- Rampart at Doherty down south
- 5A/4A in Heritage at Denver South
- Conference action in Pueblo West at Pueblo East
- Niwot looks to test No. 1 Longmont
Wednesday, Jan. 14:
- Take your pick of the Centennial league battles. They look "favorite over underdog," but will there be an upset?
- Air Academy at Palmer Ridge down south
- Falcon at Lewis Palmer as well!
- D'Evelyn at Golden
Thursday, Jan. 15:
- Fairview at Mountain Vista
- Chaparral at Liberty
- Denver South travels south to Mesa Ridge
Friday, Jan. 16:
- Eaglecrest at Cherry Creek will be a packed house "game of the night" in Centennial
- Legend at Mountain Vista shaping up as game of the week in tough Continental
- Loveland at Boulder, but don't sleep on Legacy/Fossil Ridge in Front Range action
- Dakota Ridge at Chatfield in conference action
- Lincoln at Northglenn will go down to the wire!
- Falcon at Sand Creek
- Vista Peak at Elizabeth
Saturday, Jan. 17:
- Highlands Ranch at Grandview
- Oh my goodness! The SaberCat gym will be rocking when No. 1 Regis travels up north to Fossil Ridge.
- Chaparral at George Washington in a battle of senior leadership vs. young Patriots
- Vista Peak at Rangeview
- Denver South at Thomas Jefferson in a DPL battle of 4A contenders!
- Sand Creek at Palmer Ridge
- 5A Montbello at 4A No. 1 Longmont to finish off the week!
Awesome match ups to catch folks! Get to a gym near you and enjoy.