Welcome back hoops fans. Quite a loaded week of big school action as we close out 2014. Some teams continue to roll and others who stumbled early made strong statements of "R-E-L-A-X — it's still early!"
Lets get to the action that stood out this week.
Week in review
Monday, Dec. 15:
- Orlando Ruiz did all he could scoring 26 points for Adams City but it wasn't enough as visiting Arvada squeaks out the 1-point win 57-56.
- George Washington was not a friendly visitor as they invaded Aurora beating Gateway 92-68 after a 32-10 first quarter explosion!
- Justin Lee with 17 points, 5 rebounds as Niwot pulled away from Skyline 63-39.
- Our No. 2-ranked 5A squad Thunderridge got the week started defensively and Dennis Pleuss was on hand.
- Vedin Kozic led three in double figures with 17 as Wheatridge handled Frederick 65-37.
- Dan Moorhman took in Coach J'on St. Clair getting another shot at Denver South but this time with Rampart.
- Denver North used a 23-19 fourth quarter advantage to pull out the 71-64 win over Englewood.
- Luke Golter checking in with the first double-double of the week as his 23 point, 12 rebound effort helped Holy Family get the win at Silver Creek. Chris Helbig added 16 in the win.
Tuesday, Dec. 16:
- Andrew Romero III continued his hot shooting for Mountain Range and Pam Wagner was there for the photo shots.
- Smoky Hill was without their senior leader Dalontae Kelly and Rangeview took full advantage winning 70-61 in this Aurora battle. Tyrei Randle was "fillin' it up" for the Raiders with 25 points including three deep balls from behind the arc. Jalen Davis added 13 points, 2 assists in the win.
- Coming in at No. 2 in last week's 4A poll was a hot Golden squad and Dennis Pleuss got their win over Fort Collins before they hit the tourney road. Ryan Blodget's 10 point, 12 rebound double-double helped Golden to the 10-point win.
- No surprise to hear the name "Neff" when talking Arvada West hoops but this time it was younger brother Luke who led with 24 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists in the win at Castle View. Caedon Davis put up 21 points in the loss.
- Suburban bragging rights on the line as Highlands Ranch and Valor Christian tangled out south. Pat Sullivan stole the show here with 25 points for the Falcons. Sid Turnbull-Frazier had 21 for the Eagles in the tough two point loss.
- Cameron McMurry was the "big man on campus" after hitting a game winner for Erie vs. . Fort Morgan and our Kai Casey was there for the action.
- The Prairie View backcourt of Alonzo Ramirez and Luke Schwindaman score 17 points each as the Wolves get the 64-61 win over Douglas County.
- Donovan Oldham's 17 points, 4 rebounds helped Rampart pull away from Cororado 78-55.
- Legend is one of those squads saying, "RELAX" and Monroe Porter's 17 helped them earn the 63-59 win over Doherty.
- Andrew Joiner's hot hand put up 22 points for Grandview as they pulled off the tight one point win at Lakewood.
- Western State commit Brady Subart was "stat stuffin" 22 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal as Mountain Vista earned the 3 point road win at Chatfield.
- Jonah Radebaugh and Jacob Montour combined for 55 of Northglenn's 74 points in the win over Broomfield.
- No surprise to the Fever crew at all that seniors Sergio Garcia, Josh McNair, and Jalen Rose scored in double figures for Thomas Jefferson when challenged by 5A Cherokee Trail, but it wasn't enough as Jaizec Lottie and Ronnie Barfield both scored 10 in the Cougars balanced two point win.
- Pueblo Central, up to No. 3 in last week's 4A poll, rode their back court duo of Kobi Betts and Michael Ranson, who both scored in the 20's, to a 75-65 win over Mesa Ridge.
- Keeping it down south, Pueblo South's Bryson Smith's 20 points led three in double figures scoring in the win over Liberty.
Wednesday, Dec. 17:
- The Fever crew got out to one of our favorite gyms on Wednesday for Aurora Central at Montbello. This game was the battle of the zone defenses early as both squads tried to probe and figure things out offensively. Low scoring the whole way until Montbello got defensive in the fourth quarter and used their size/length on that end to create easy offense. The Warriors outscored the Trojans 21-7 in the fourth behind Malik Hart's 18 points. Bouncy guard Ladarius Thomas led all scorers with 24 in the loss.
- Elijah Martinez led all scorers with 19 points in Westmintster's 66-60 victory over Standley Lake. Eric Turner had 18 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists in the loss.
- Rock Canyon got their Vegas road trip off to an awesome start as senior guard Tyler Garcia scored 30 points with 3 assists and 5 steals. Freshman Alert: Sam Masten certainly wasn't afraid of the road or tourney action as he added 19 points, 4 rebounds in the 82-72 win over Mars.
- Fossil Ridge signed up for a "big boy" bracket in their Vegas tourney and Ryan Quaid put in a MONSTER 23 point, 22 rebound double-double in their opening loss to Durango 56-54.
- Last week's 5A No. 5 squad Eaglecrest also went west for Vegas action and opened with a 76-63 win over Desert Pines.
- The Trailblazer duo came ready to play as De'Ron Davis' double-double of 18 points, 11 rebounds along with Austin Conway's 16 points, 7 assists led to the 10-point win over Bountiful in Las Vegas.
- Windsor earned a 24-point victory over Brighton as Viktor Kaiser and Michael Scheid both scored 13 points each.
- Silver Creek used a 20-5 second quarter and Austin Hartman's 13 point, 11 rebound double-double to get the road win at Evergreen.
- Widefield's beginning to earn top 10 votes and got a 76-68 win over Adams City where Brandon Branch's 18 point, 13 rebound double-double along with Adriernne Hampton's 16 point, 11 rebound effort got it done!
- Our 4A No. 1-ranked squad continues its undefeated roll in a big way 64-31 over Poudre as Kevin Mitchell's 17 points led three in double figures. Check out Longmont "D'ing Up!" in a 21-2 second quarter.
- Vista Peak won big over Niwot 74-58 and Noah Butler's 21 points, 5 assists led the way here.
Thursday, Dec. 18:
- Dakota Ridge remains quietly undefeated with a 60-47 win over Grandview. Andrew Joiner with another 20 point effort for the Wolves in the loss.
- The Cherry Creek annual tourney got started and Jack Eberhard was on hand for Cherry Creek vs. Pine Creek.
- Pueblo South with a nice 13 point win over 5A Horizon.
- It was a low scoring affair between two squads off to strong starts in Monarch and Northglenn. Matt Mathewes was on hand as the Coyotes advanced to 8-1.
- Cordell Gillingham powered Greeley West with 19 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists in 12-point win over Mountain View.
- Fairvew won a lopsided affair over Thornton and Kamran Shahbaz's 29 points was huge!
- Abraham Lincoln used a big 21-9 fourth quarter to take the city vs. suburbs match against Highlands Ranch. Keith Coleman Jr. with 19 points in the loss for the Falcons.
- Matt Mathewes with some more awesome shots as Mountain Range rolled over Prairie View in tourney play.
- Rangeview received 20 votes in last week's 5A poll and they will likely break in as senior Jalen Davis is starting to assert himself with high flying dunks and overall game. Davis's 23 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists led to a huge 15 point win over Aurora rival Cherokee Trail for the Raiders.
- That cool Converse name keeps catching the Fever eye and this time he scored 18 for Legacy in the win over DougCo.
- National power Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas flexed its muscles on Overland in a 72-59 loss for the TrailBlazers. De'Ron Davis and Austin Conway both with 12 points.
- Dan Morhman highlights Colorado Spring Christian's explosive third quarter that led 3A's No. 1 ranked squad to the win over Mesa Ridge.
- Tyler Garcia strikes again with 27 points, 4 rebounds in Rock Canyon's 74-56 win over Eastlake in tourney play. Mitch Lombard added 15 along Sam Masten's 14, 6 rebounds in the win.
- Northridge quietly 5-1 and used a huge fourth quarter comeback to beat Pueblo West 64-59.
- MItchell gave Pueblo East a scare but they hold on for the one point win where Jacob Disalvo led 5 in double figures with 16.
- Out west, Owen Riley's 24 point, 12 rebound double-double led Battle Mountain over Eagle Valley.
- Palisade ended Lutheran's undefeated early run with a 67-65 win in a close one!
Friday, Dec. 19:
- Mullen hosting their own tournament and get the 14-point win over Castle View.
- Our Pam Wagner was on hand as Holy Family's Chris Helbig had 18 in the win over D'Evelyn.
- Coach Wood has the Mountain Vista boys "runnin' the floor" again as they put up 88 points in win over Lakewood. Brady Subart with 30 huge points and Ray Beresford 25 ... quite the duo!
- Montbello was not a nice host as they ran up 95 points with 13 players getting in the score box led by Malik Hart's 21 points, 9 assists vs. Pueblo Centennial.
- Had to get over to the Creek tourney to see with my own eyes if Fever's beloved Dan Snyder was truly on the bench with Coach Brookhart for the Bruins. Wow, that is quite a coaching tandem for the Centennial League to deal with. The Bruins took down Abraham Lincoln in tourney play on this night.
- George Washington took their young squad on the road to Arvada West but came up just short 46-43.
- Mesa Ridge and Doherty in a high scoring 84-80 affair and Pryce Adams 24-point, 10-rebound double-double along with Dalen Jackson's huge 29 point effort got it done despite Dalven Brushier and Kayden Washington scoring 20 points each in the loss.
- Boulder came to the city and handed Aurora Central a 15 point loss behind Landon Talieaferro's 17 points.
- Fossil Ridge finished up their trip with a 67-64 win over Jordan and Zacc Drovdal had 20 points.
- Overland continues to challenge the best of the best and Prestenwood Christian beat the Trailblazers by 15 despite Reggie Gibson and De'Ron Davis both putting up 14 each.
- Mitchell and Vista Ridge had a nice overtime battle where Noah Beatty's 27 points wasn't enough as Vista loses by 3.
- Air Academy, now 6-1, had five players in double figures led by Paul Ambuul's 22 in blowout of Coronado.
- Big man Chuck Gavin with 17 point, 15 rebound double-double as Denver South beat Garden City by 16 points. Devante Loggins again with the rare double-double of 10 points with 13 assists.
- Golden suffered first loss on their tourney road to Pine Crest 54-39.
- Eaglecrest continues to get battle-tested as they went down to Orem in Las Vegas 53-46.
- Valor Christian made a huge 4A statement in a highly anticipated matchup with Pueblo Central. Kobi Betts and Michael Ranson didn't disappoint scoring over 20 points each again, but the standout on this night was Khameron Davis, who hit 5-three pointers en route to 27 points.
Saturday, Dec. 20:
- Dakota Ridge looking to move up a notch in the 5A top 10 as they went into Arapahoe and remain undefeated at 8-0 with the 70-56 win. "Lefty" Devante Jones was impressive and all over the court for Dakota Ridge in the win. Arapahoe finished 5-3 before the break. They have a couple injuries and only two seniors on their roster so they should be ready for league play.
- Monarch will certainly be knocking on the top 10 door after capturing the Prairie View tournament and Matt Mathewes captured the action.
- Mullen hosted their tourney and brought home the title beating Sand Creek 79-72. Mullen goes into the break 6-2 after the solid tourney showing.
- Matt Matthewes also took in Legacy's win over Loveland.
- There's that "RELAX" theme again as Legend handed Cherry Creek their first loss in the title game of the Creek tourney 43-40. The Titans were led by Danny Garrick's 19 points and it seems they are beginning to reach that potential we've heard of.
- Chaparral going into the break 6-1 after the 55-49 win over Fairfax.
- Riley Stewart's 24 points helped Highlands Ranch go into break at 5-5 after they finished tourney play with a 9-point win over Fountain Fort Carson.
- Nice win for Coach Boykins' squad behind Cetta's 17 over Broomfield.
- Fossil Ridge finished up travel with a nice 1-point win over Desert Pines and come home 6-3.
- Boulder continues its strong early play with the 60-59 overtime win over Cherokee Trail.
- Well "hello there" Troy Green! Montbello's senior wing scored 30 points, 7 rebounds as the Warriors enter break 8-1 after win over Hinkley 81-64. His running mate Malik Hart added 20 points, 8 assists.
- Denver East is missing Brian Carey in a major way while he's out with ankle injury and the Angels drop to 3-6 after 61-57 loss to Foothill in Vegas.
- The "utility knife" Blend Advili with 21 points, 7 rebounds in Eaglecrest Vegas blowout of Durango.
- Matt Matthewes was still snapping the action shots for Northglenn's win over Prairie View.
- "Oh My!" Big De'Ron Davis left his mark in Vegas with a 34 point, 9 rebound effort in Overland's win over West Linn by 4. The Trailblazers return with a 4-4 mark.
- Big man Tristan Von Nieda captured a 21 point, 9 rebound night as Fort Collins won in overtime at Ponderosa.
- braham Lincoln 6-4 after impressive 16-point win over DPL rival Thomas Jefferson in final game of Cherry Creek tournament.
- Pueblo South showed no mercy to defending champ Pueblo East in the 31 point win vs these rivals.
- Our No. 1 4A squad finished up 6-0 with the 67-39 win over Windsor to close out our coverage for Week 3!
The early tournament play and non conference fun has proven again that things are wide open and that it's also much too early to count some teams out.
Enjoy the holidays and can't wait to get back to the hoops!