Welcome back hoops fans! Week 2 of the season brought some excellent in and out-of-state tournament action along with fun non conference battles.
The out-of-state action included our new No. 1 ranked squad Regis Raiders staying undefeated in trip to Arizona.
Let's get to the action!
Week in review
Monday, Dec. 8:
- A low scoring 16 point half for the home Mullen Mustangs spelled doom as Mountain Range's Ben Egan poured in 21 points in the 64-50 road victory. James Potter's 19 along with Andrew Romero's 17 added the balance!
- Didn't take long for the first "oh my!" of week two to roll in as sophomore Kolton Peterson caught fire for 38 points, 3 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists, but that wasn't enough to stop Heritage behind Jack Peck's 24 points, 5 assists. The Eagles protect home court 81-71.
- Former league rivals Wheat Ridge and Alameda hooked up Monday. Dennis Pleuss was all over it.
- Fairview was "feeling it" from three-point range and Kai Casey's photo report took it all in.
- Greeley West cooled off a hot Aurora Central 61-54 in tourney play. Preston Marion with the huge double-double of 17 points, 15 rebounds along with Connor Thompson's 15 points did the trick. Elijah Coleman led with 22 points, 8 rebounds in the loss for the Trojans.
- Boulder walked in the Patriots house and took down the young GW squad 64-47 behind Landon Taliaferro's 22 points and Garrett Turner's 20 points, 6 assists.
- Denver South was without their senior point guard Devante Loggins in a previous loss last week but he returned in a giving mood dishing out 15 assists in the Rebels 61-44 win over Broomfield. Loggins added 7 steals which we're sure led to some of those assists. Fellow senior Turner Dumas Peterson led scoring with 13 points.
- Denver North squeaked out a solid one point road victory 70-69 at Arvada Monday night. Belmin Salihovic put in 18 points in the home loss.
- Monarch continues its strong early play as they record the 9 point 52-43 win over Sierra.
Tuesday, Dec. 9:
- Palmer used a 40-point first half to blow away Douglas County 78-54 and Will Ross led four Terror's in double figure scoring with 19.
- Rock Canyon locked D'Evelyn up defensively only allowing 34 points as Tyler Garcia scored 17 with 3 steals.
- The 5A leading scorer, Thomas Neff, continues his hot start with 33 points in Arvada West's 61-46 win over Legacy.
- Fossil Ridge took care of Highlands Ranch and big man Ryan Quaid collected a 19 point, 10 rebound double-double in the 71-53 win. Riley Stewart had 19 for the Falcons in the loss.
- Holy Family used a 14-4 first quarter start to beat Poudre 63-42 behind Chris Helbig's 20 points.
- Two teams quietly off to nice starts tangled Tuesday in Grandview and Montbello. The Warriors won this one 58-51 behind Malik Hart's 21 points. Andrew Joiner led the Wolves again with 17.
- Doherty had some serious balance on display as they kept Castle View winless with five players scoring in double figures led by Emin Cecunjanin's 14 point, 11 rebound double-double. Jontrell Herman scored 16 in the loss.
- Senior Dee Henderson continues his double-double ways for Thornton with 22 points, 14 rebounds but Pomona got the two point win 51-49.
- Tim Visser was in the house as Cherokee Trail ended Denver East's in-state win streak. The Angels' Brian Carey scored 37 on a bad ankle but C Trail's overall balance proved too much.
- Rangeview's senior Tarren Storey-Way had the hot hand this night as the Raiders pulled away from Rocky Mountain 74-49 with Storey-Way dropping 22 points. Benji Williams with 19 in the loss.
- Jack Eberhard covered the action shots as Smoky Hill traveled to ThunderRidge.
- Pueblo Central is ranked No. 7 in this weeks 4A poll and their backcourt duo of Kobi Betts and Michael Ranson can flat out fill it up! They both scored 28 in this win over Falcon.
- Dennis Pleuss on top of the two-point thriller between Legend and Dakota Ridge.
- Ridgeview Academy notched a big win for their guys over Manual 70-61 and C Torres was absolutely on fire scoring 38.
- Dan Morhmann covered Jonathon Scott stepping up big to help Lewis-Palmer hand Pueblo East their first loss in a long while
Wednesday, Dec. 10:
- Our guy Jack Eberhard took in the Pepsi Center environment as Cherry Creek handed a short-handed Denver East their second straight loss.
- Chaparral has weapons and Chase Coon dropped 23 points in the Wolverines 88-66 win over Chatfield. Check out our Fever buddy Jake Holtzman's big time double-double of 18 points, 15 rebounds.
- Donovan Oldham logged a double-double for Rampart of 20 points, 11 rebounds in their win over Castle View. Jontrell Hermann giving his all and "stat-stuffin" 21 points, 6 rebounds, 7 steals, and 4 assists!
- Colorado Springs Christian, our No. 1 3A squad, flexed some small school muscle beating Pine Creek 48-44.
- A little more 3A muscle flexing? A hot Mead squad took down Prairie View 75-52 with Blake Goodwin putting up a 26 point, 11 rebound double-double.
- The Farmers are showing some scoring balance early in the season as Vedin Kozic's 20 points led four in double figures as Wheat Ridge thumped Gateway 76-48.
- Check out Erie with two players getting double-doubles in Kyle Leahy's 29 point, 11 rebound effort along side Cameron McCurry's 15 points, 16 rebounds. Fourteen point win over Standley Lake.
- A good one down South as Falcon outlasted Mesa Ridge 61-59. Shawn LiVecchi's 23 points got it done.
- Tons of talented youth on the floor in George Washington at Valor Chrisitan. Jalen Sanders with a 19 point, 15 rebound huge double-double. And how about Dylan McCaffrey transitioning from football to hoops with a nice 13 point, 11 rebound double-double as well. Looks like Coach DeGray has more weapons to work with!
Thursday, Dec. 11:
- Overland dropped to No. 4 in our 5A poll this week but the Trailblazers started their Utah road trip with an impressive 76-65 win over Wasatch Academy who traditionally has several D-I players on their prep school roster. Big man De'Ron Davis with a 23 point, 10 rebound double-double.
- Montbello is starting to open eyes and Dennis Pleuss was on hand as they took down Ralston Valley in tournament play.
- Senior Dalontae Kelly stole the show with 21 points, 6 assists in the Aurora showdown between Hinkley and Smoky Hill. Buffaloes win by 19.
- Danny Garrick joined this week's double-double crew leading Legend over Horizon with 25 points, 12 rebounds. Mateo Romos with 20 points in the loss.
- Rock Canyon turned it on in overtime outscoring Arvada West 15-9 in the extra period. Mitch Lombard 22 and Tyler Garcia 18 points in this one.
- After back-to-back Colorado losses Denver East got a 52-41 win as they hit the tournament road in Utah versus Jordon.
- Andrew Romero continuing his hot streak in Mountain Range's twelve point win over Grand Junction scoring 26 points.
- Dakota Ridge, ranked No. 8 last week, stayed undefeated with 75-65 win over Doherty. Check out nice sophomore Brevin Brimble who scored 22 points, including five three pointers for the Spartans in the loss.
- Our state's No. 1 ranked Regis Raiders made easy work 78-38 of Westwood as they hit the tourney road in Arizona. Hard working Kip Boryla led with 15 points.
- Northglenn is playing some strong early ball as well. Good 72-60 win over Lakewood.
- Mountain Vista is knocking on the door of 5A's top 10 and they put the score keeper to work putting up 95 points in landslide win over JFK. Brady Subart with 22 points.
- Fossil Ridge headed south to Lewis-Palmer and Ryan Quaid's monster 25 point, 13 rebound double-double got the win 71-63.
- Air Academy No. 8 in last week's 4A poll came back for the 58-52 win at Evergreen behind Paul Ambuul's 16 points.
- "Oh my" performance of the night by Michael Ranson who put up 38 points in Pueblo Central's solid win over Vista Peak.
- Another big scoring performance as Grandview's Cooper Murphy poured in 32 points along with Jared Burr's 14 in the fifteen point win at Mountain View.
- Sam Boone's 18 points helped Ponderosa finish the week 4-2 with a 61-57 win at Fort Morgan.
Friday, Dec. 12:
- A big one Friday as Chaparral visited Eaglecrest and Chris Moody stepped up big in Chap's 68-64 road win scoring 22 points and pulling 9 rebounds. DU commit Jake Holtzman added 15 point, 11 rebound double-double in the road win.
- Regis rolled again in Arizona. This time 58-31 over Higley and Kip Boryla along with Taylor Kallsen double figures scoring.
- Props to Air Academy for battling 5A Mountain Vista but the Eagle earned the six point win with 5 players in double figures.
- Cherokee Trail's David Thornton with 18 points, 8 rebounds as the Cougars took down Highlands Ranch 58-48.
- Can't wait for the stats to come rolling in on this up and coming Northglenn squad. They continue the strong start with 54-47 win over Legend.
- Grandview wins over Legacy to go 4-1 early on behind Andrew Joiner's 22 points. Tyler Converse with 21 in the loss.
- Denver South put up 80 points beating Greeley West by 13. Point guard Devante Loggins with an 18 point, 13 assists "ridiculous" double-double for the Rebels.
- Monarch capped a hot start at 7-1 with 50-47 win over Fairview.
- To add some serious credence to Overland's win over Wasatch Academy, the prep school took down Denver East 72-43 in a lopsided contest.
- This Warrior squad will be jumping into the 5A top 10 next week as Montbello beat Rock Canyon 65-60 in the Ralston Valley tourney finale. Montbello's point guard Frankie Penn led with 15 and Mitch Lombard threw in 26 in the loss.
- Nice win for Columbine over Valor Christian 59-45 to advance to 4-1.
- Overland's big two stepped up in the 67-55 win over Timpview in Utah. De'Ron Davis with 22 point, 10 rebound double-double went nicely with Wyoming commit Austin Conway's 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists.
- Senior Jalen Davis with 17 points in Rangeview's eleven point win over Holy Family.
- Sand Creek moves to 3-1 as they get the 21 point victory over Mitchell.
- The Fever crew has heard nothing but good things about young sophomore David Simental who scored 21 in Pueblo West's 71-55 win over Montrose.
- 5A No. 7 ranked Aurora Central now 7-1 after Ladarius Thomas puts up 22 points in win over Sierra. Junior guard Elijah Coleman with 15 points, 6 steals.
- Erie battled Centaurus to a 60-59 win behind Andrew Campbell's 18 points. Steven Lopez dropped 5 three's and 27 points in the loss.
Saturday, Dec. 13:
- Arapahoe gets season started 4-2 after the Warriors 61-41 win over Westminster. Ryan King with 14 points in the win.
- Legend got back on the winning side with 56-49 win over Smoky Hill. Titan transfer from Regis, Jared Small joined the party with 19 points for Legend.
- Dakota Ridge looking to solidify it's spot in 5A top 10 finishing week 6-0 as Tyler McFarland scored 17 in win over Castleview.
- Denver East bounced back with a 47-36 win over Orem, UT.
- Matt Gosselin scored 17 as Liberty took down Lewis-Palmer 54-46.
- Two power-house programs as Overland faced Loan Peak Utah in out of state action. De'Ron tracked another double-double and Austin Conway scored 21 but it wasn't enough as Lone Peak won 75-71. Junior guard Reggie Gibson added 10 points, 6 assists.
- Two teams folks may not have thought would start 5-1 battled as Mountain Range took down Northglenn behind Andrew Romero's 27 points, 9 rebounds.
- Kobi Betts and Michael Ranson combine for 48 points as Pueblo Central beat Ponderosa Saturday.
- Jalen Davis led the way for the Raiders as Rangeview brought home the Fort Collins tourney title and our guy Brock Laue was up north.
- Mead moves to 3-1 after Kyle Leahy's 27 points helped get the win over Erie.
- Doherty and Sand Creek tangled down south with Dalven Brushier's 21 points helping the Spartans bring home the win.
- Ray Beresford's 19 and Brady Subart's 13 helped Mountain Vista top Evergreen despite Austin Fritt's 33 point output.
- Josh McNair finding his groove for 4A No. 3 Thomas Jefferson scoring 24 points in win over Centaurus. Had the honor to follow this young man McNair in Chicago and Las Vegas tournaments this summer. He's a better young man than he is "two sport stud" for the Spartans. Guard Henry Cooper with 10 points, 2 assists, 2 steals on the night.
A Look Ahead:
Monday, Dec. 15:
- Columbine at ThunderRidge
- Denver South travels to Rampart
- Holy Family at Silver Creek
Tuesday, Dec. 16:
- Rangeview at Smoky Hill in Aurora action
- Valor Christian at Highlands Ranch for bragging rights out south
- Monarch at Loveland. Legend at Doherty
- Mountain Vista at Chatfield
- Cherokee Trail at Thomas Jefferson
- Fort Collins at Golden
- Falcon at Sierra
Wednesday, Dec. 17:
- Aurora Central at Montbello could be a top 10 battle
- Eaglecrest on road in tourney play vs. Desert Pines
- Overland continues travel vs. Bountiful
- Erie at Niwot
Thursday, Dec. 18:
- Dakota Ridge at Grandview
- Pine Creek at Cherry Creek
- Pueblo South at Horizon
- Highlands Ranch coming to the city vs. Abraham Lincoln
- Thomas Jefferson vs. Fountain-Fort Carson
- Serious Aurora battle in Cherokee Trail at Rangeview
- Cheyenne Mountain at Ponderosa
- Grand Junction at Sand Creek
- Colorado Academy vs. Harrison in big vs. small school
- Mitchell at Pueblo East
Friday, Dec. 19:
- Pueblo Centennial vs. Montbello
- Columbine at Doherty
- George Washington at Arvada West
- Boulder at Aurora Central
- Garden City at Denver South
- Coronado at Air Academy
- Pine Crest vs. Golden
- Pueblo Central at Valor in a 4A "biggie."
Saturday, Dec. 20:
- Dakota Ridge at Arapahoe
- Cherokee Trail at Boulder
- Denver East tangles with Silverado on the road
- Lakewood at Rampart
- Columbine at Standley Lake
- Fort Collins at Ponderosa
- Windsor at Longmont
Plenty of action to see! Enjoy the hoops.