Arapahoe's wrestling team has been granted a two-pound weight allowance for this weekend's tournaments due to an inability to practice created by last week's tragic shooting.
In an email to Arapahoe, Cherokee Trail and Gateway high schools, assistant commissioner Harry Waterman wrote, "Due to the tragic event that took place at Arapahoe High School last week, it has created a hardship on the ability for the Arapahoe wrestling team to conduct practice."
In fact, Arapahoe has practiced just once since last Thursday.
"This has made it very difficult to have structured work-outs and maintain their weight," Waterman wrote. "As a result, I am permitting a (two-pound) allowance for all wrestlers in the following tournaments this Saturday: Cherokee Trail dual tournament, Gateway JV tournament."
Program helps Gambian national team
USA Volleyball's Leave a Ball Behind program at the state volleyball tournament helped provide volleyballs for the Gambian national team.
"They were very excited to receive them and are using two at a time so that they can last through the next year," reports a peace corps volunteer who works with the team.
Here's a picture of the team with the items which were donated via USA Volleyball:
- You may notice a slight difference in how public address announcers are handling basketball games. Due to a new rule from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), announcers can no longer make announcements during play. The goal, according to the rule, "is to remove play by play commentary." Thus, they are no longer permitted to announce information such as "assist by," "rebound by," and so on. Announcing fouls, scorers, and free-throw shooters is still allowed.
- Changes out of the tennis committee meeting earlier this month: Teams will only be eligible to compete for the team championships if they qualify for four or more positions at the state championships. This is a move toward something golf already has in place. Additionally, regional hosts for the 5A girls this spring will not be determined until after the final league standings.
- This season's winter break, meaning no practice, is Dec. 24-Dec. 27, and Jan. 1. Voluntary winter practices are Dec. 28, 30 & 31.
- Next year's Championship Saturday (the Class 5A, 4A, 3A football title games) again falls just after Thanksgiving. It is Nov. 29.
- Football can begin 2014 practice on Aug. 11. Zero Week is Aug. 21; Week 1 is Aug. 28.
- We have published a database of coaching changes in football.