The winter sports season kicks off Monday, and schools are wasting no time in getting things started. Among scheduled events on the first day of the season are 25 boys basketball games, 22 girls basketball games and four hockey games.
There are also a number of wrestling and girls swimming meets throughout the week.
"We are very excited to kick off our winter sports today, and are looking forward to great competition and sportsmanship throughout the season," CHSAA commissioner Paul Angelico said on Monday.
Boys and girls skiing will have the first championship of the season on Feb. 13-14. Girls swimming is next with its state meet on Feb. 14-15, and wrestling's state meet is Feb. 20-22. Hockey's title game is March 1, while basketball's state championships are March 13-15.
Important dates to keep in mind for the season:
- Regular season ends: 1A-4A, Feb. 22; 5A, Feb. 21
- 4A/5A brackets released: Feb. 23
- 1A-3A districts completed by: March 1
- State finals, all classes: March 13-15
- Regular season ends: Feb. 15
- Playoffs begin: Feb. 21
- State championship: March 1
- State championship: Feb. 13-14
- State meet: Feb. 14-15
- Regular season ends: Feb. 8
- Regionals completed by: Feb. 15
- State meet: Feb. 20-22