Boys golf practice opened on Monday. It means the 2013-14 season is officially here.
While the rest of the sports open practice next Monday, boys golfers can actually begin contests on Thursday.
Kyle Dunkle, a Douglas County senior, is the only returning individual champion. He captured Class 5A last season.
Defending team champions are Regis Jesuit (5A), Pueblo South (4A) and Kent Denver (3A).
Here's how the rest of the calendar breaks down:
- Softball teams can begin scrimmaging next Monday, the same day practice opens. They can start games on Aug. 16.
- Boys tennis teams can scrimmage and/or begin matches on Aug. 15.
- Everything else — cross country, field hockey, football, gymnastics, boys soccer, spirit and volleyball — can begin scrimmages on Aug. 22, and contests on Aug. 29.
- Football teams may schedule a Zero Week game on Aug. 23.
- Boys golf will kick off postseason play as well, with regionals finishing by Sept. 20. Its state meets are Sept. 30-Oct. 1.
- Other state finals or meets: Boys tennis (Oct. 10-12), softball (Oct. 18-19), cross country (Oct. 26), field hockey (Oct. 28), gymnastics (Nov. 1-2), volleyball (Nov. 8-9), boys soccer (Nov. 9) and spirit (Dec. 6-7).
- The majority of football begins its playoffs on Nov. 2. Classes 3A and 4A begin the postseason on Nov. 9. Championship dates: Nov. 16 (6-man), Nov. 23 (8-man, 1A, 2A), Nov. 30 (3A, 4A, 5A).
- Winter practices begin Nov. 13.