The Colorado High School Activities Association is launching a new sportsmanship contest for the 2017-18 season. It is called #BackMyTeam, and the goal is to promote positive sportsmanship and school spirit around the state!
The contest is for all students sections at all sports events throughout the year. The winner will receive recognition from CHSAA at a state championship event, and an award for its athletic department. There will be winners during the fall, winter and spring seasons.
Here's how it's going to work:
- Take a picture or short video of your student section at any athletic contest, as allowed by rule. (For example, don't go crazy on the golf course!)
- Post your submission on Twitter or Instagram from any official school, administrator or team account, and tag @CHSAA, along with the hashtag #BackMyTeam. If #BackMyTeam is not included, it will not be entered into the contest.
- Submissions should be great examples of cheering for your team, and not against your opponent, or of exemplary sportsmanship among the fans.
- Please be sure these submissions follow all rules at the site of the athletic event, as well as rules set by CHSAA and your school's administration.
There will be three submission periods per season. One finalist will be selected after each submission period, and the three finalists will be pitted against one another in a week-long vote.
- August 15 - September 14
- September 15 - October 14
- October 15 - November 14
- Vote: November 21-28
- Announcement: Dec. 2, at the 4A/5A football championships
- December 1-31
- January 1-31
- February 1-28
- Vote: March 1-8
- Announcement: March 10, at state basketball
- March 8-31
- April 1-21
- April 22 - May 12
- Vote: May 13-17
- Announcement: May 19, at state track and field
If you have any questions about the contest, please email associate commissioner Tom Robinson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
See you at the games, where we cheer for our team, and not against our opponents.
- Fall: Eaglecrest
- Winter: TBD
- Spring: TBD