The following jobs are open at the CHSAA office:
- Assistant Commissioner
Assistant Commissioner opening
- Assistant Commissioner – Colorado High School Activities Association
- To play an integral part in the promotion and management of the athletics and activities programs in Colorado’s member high schools as assigned by the Commissioner.
- To provide educational experiences through participation in activities which will contribute to the development of better citizens.
- Tournament/Conference planning and management.
- This position will be assigned several of the sports/activities that the association sanctions.
- Development and interpretation of student eligibility standards.
- Represent the Association to superintendents, principals, athletic/activity directors, coaches, media and the public in promoting the values of interscholastic athletics and activities (speech, music and student council).
- Liaison to officials’/judges organizations.
- Work closely with sport/activity committees, Board of Directors and Legislative Council in refining current activities and developing new activities aimed at increasing student participation.
- Play an integral role in an ongoing gender and race equity program.
- B.A., B.S. Degree; MA Preferred
- Administrative certificate preferred, not necessary
- School administration experience preferred
- Background in interscholastic athletics and activities in one or all of the following capacities: participant, coach/director, official, administrator
- Strong writing and verbal skills with a broad range of technical capabilities
- Varied talents which complement abilities of other staff members
- 12-month contract
- Salary range: Commensurate with qualifications
- Public Employees Retirement Association; Medical, Dental and Vision Plans; Sick Leave; 24 days’ annual vacation; life insurance survivor benefit.
- (No application form.) Forward a letter of application, a current vita, a list of three to five references (no letters, but include title, address and phone numbers). Include starting and current salary of present position.
- A written response of no more than one page to the following question: EXPLAIN HOW YOUR PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY OF THE PURPOSE/REASONS FOR EDUCATIONALLY BASED ACTIVITIES WILL HELP THE CHSAA IMPLEMENT AND PROMOTE HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES.
Donna Coonts, Executive Assistant to the Commissioner: email@example.com
Note: Email applications ONLY. Paper applications will not be considered.
TIMELINE, APPLICATION PROCESS
- Opening announced: May 3
- Deadline for receipt of applications: May 16
- Conclude initial screening of applicants: May 18
- Successful applicants notified: May 19, 2017
- Conclude final interviews of applicants: May 25
- Announce selection of Assistant Commissioner: June 2
- Begin position: July 1
Summary of Position
The person in this position is responsible for: assisting the Commissioner in directing and implementing all athletic and activity programs assigned by the Board of Directors and Legislative Council, interpreting and clarifying the Constitution and Bylaws of the association to patrons and member schools, assisting in the development and improvements of by law proposals, corresponding with and answering member school questions concerning student eligibility.
In addition, the person in the position is responsible to oversee designated sports and activities, planning and promoting state tournaments events, acting as liaison to designated sports officials and activity judges, work closely with sports and activities committees to improve current sports and activities.
Scope and Impact of Job
- To successfully budget playoff and activities events to avoid major losses in the annual budget.
Supervisory Responsibilities (direct and/or indirect)
- Will be in charge of their Executive Assistant and will manage volunteers at events and tournaments.
Required Knowledge and Experience
Related Work Experience
- Must have 5 Years of educationally based athletic experience or school administration experience.
Formal education or equivalent
- Bachelor of Arts: Education Degree or Bachelor of Arts: Sports Management Degree required. Masters in Administration preferred
- Must possess a strong interest in athletics and activities.
- Must be able to comprehend athletic playoff formats and brackets.
- Must be familiar with the CHSAA Constitution and Bylaws.
- Must be skillful in event planning and event management.
- Must be skilled in conflict management.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess strong organizational skills.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Must possess the ability to work as a team player.
- Must be able to multitask and possess impeccable time management skills.
- Must be able to work in fast-paced conditions.
- Must be PC confident, must be familiar with Microsoft Office.
- Will work some weekends and nights.
- Will require some travel, must be able to work in all different weather climates and conditions.
General Assistant Commissioner Duties
- Shall assist in the development and interpretation of student eligibility standards.
- Shall correspond and assist superintendents, principals, and athletic/activity directors with questions and concerns.
- Shall represent the Association to superintendents, principals, athletic/activity directors, coaches, media and the public in promoting the values of interscholastic athletics and activities.
- Shall play an integral role in the association’s positive leadership activities.
- Shall play an integral role in the Association’s gender and race equity program.
- Shall serve as a liaison to officials/judges organizations.
- Shall work closely and help guide sport/activity committees when making decisions regarding the sport/activity.
- Shall work closely with the Board of Directors and Legislative Council in refining current activities and developing new activities aimed at increasing student participation.
- Shall prepare assigned Sport/Activity bulletins.
- Responsible for initiating the payment for officials and recording assignments.
- Responsible for assigning officials for tournaments on the state level.
- Responsible for the disbursement of various funds to school districts per the established criteria of the Legislative Council.
- Responsible for other related duties and responsibilities as may be deemed necessary by the Commissioner.
State Tournament and Event Planning
- Is responsible for all playoff formats, state tournament series logistics, and implementation of any sport or activity assigned.
- Responsible for securing venues and sites for playoff and championship games.
- Responsible for finding and selecting volunteer event workers
- Assists in the selection and assignment of officials/judges for playoff and state contests, tournaments and speech competitions.
- Responsible for securing various types of facilities, programs, speakers, staff materials, equipment, etc. for events
Decision-Making Responsibilities for This Position
- Will make and assists in making all decisions concerning assigned sports and activities.
- Will be responsible for all assigned sports and activities events.