Our end-of-season hoops is giving us "a bit of everything" as our mid-week column report covered, and the end-of-week action didn't let us down either!
The Fever Crew also had a chance to catch up with one of our state's top talents in a Saturday Ball Fever "chat" with Denver East's Daylen Kountz.
Let's get to it:
The Look Back
Thursday, Feb. 8
- Malik Fofaana and Myron Hamilton score 15 points each helping Montbello (FNE) earn the league win over foe Thomas Jefferson 66-56.
- Joel Scott turned in a 24 point, 5 rebound effort and No. 2 Lewis Palmer shut down Discovery Canyon in the fourth quarter only allowing 8 points in the 11-point win.
- Longmont likes to refer to their squad as "blue collar" and they grinded out a tough 4A top-10 win over No. 7 Silver Creek 49-37 and were able to hold scoring machine Trent Dykema to 11 points while junior Brady Renck scored 18 in the win.
- Doherty, who was in at No. 10 in last week's 5A poll, left no doubt in their battle vs. Rampart winning by 27 in the rivalry game. Senior Joe Golden scored 17 and junior added a "monsta" 16 point, 15 rebound double-double.
Friday, Feb. 9
- A-West takes a slight lead in Jeffco ... but "it's not over"
- Never want a score book controversy to come into play ... but it did in Chatfield/Bear Creek
- You can only play "who they put in front of ya" and No. 4 GW had no mercy on Denver West and Xavier Cooper led MANY Patriots in the scoring column with 17.
- Huge night for No. 10 Widefield's Tre Pierre with 26 points and 8 rebounds in the 10-point win over Harrison.
- Game was tight early but Smoky Hill used a 26-8 fourth quarter push to shut down Arapahoe 71-47.
- No. 3 Rock Canyon was licking their chops in anticipation of the neighborhood rivalry game vs. Highlands Ranch. Sam Masten and Tyson Gilbert both scored 18 points as the Jags gradually pulled away 56-38. The Ranch fans were tough on Gilbert when he visited his former school last year...Gilbert got the last laugh on this one!
- Guards Sam Bannec and Elijah Martinez were both feeling and scored 17 points each in Regis' rout of Ponderosa.
- Brendan LaRose with a nice 19 point, 11 rebound double-double in No. 7 Falcon's 9-point win over Air Academy.
- Extra Hoops!! It took overtime and 17 points from senior Branden Bunn for Eaglecrest to pull off a 1-point victory over Cherry Creek.
- It was a rivalry game for the "Pride of Parker" with Chap/Legend hooking up for their annual neighborhood battle. Umm, Ronnie DeGray III didn't get the memo that these rivalry games are supposed to be close! DeGray was "stat-stuffin" once again with 27 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 steals! Is the deep ball more your thing? Look no further than class of 2020 standout point guard Kobe Sanders, who lit the gym up with 7 three pointers (tied a school record) on his way to 25 points in the 82-61 win for the Wolverines.
- There goes the teamwork and balanced style of the Grizzlies again! Five players in double figures led by Kaison Hammonds 16 points helped ThunderRidge erase a halftime deficit and ultimately beat Mountain Vista by 14. A strong week from the Grizz, who look to be voted No. 1 in this week's poll.
- Julian Lucero put up 14 points for Pueblo West but not enough as they went down big for the second time this season to No. 1 Pueblo South who is making it known they are king of Pueblo right now and have an eye on being crowned the champ of 4A in a month from now. How about a 13 game winning streak for the Colts?!!
Saturday, Feb. 10
Always great to catch up with outstanding young men and our Fever Crew had a 'lil' Ball Fever "chat" with CU Buff Bound Daylen Kountz after his Angel's win over Denver South Saturday.
Kountz is averaging 23 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals per game for the Angels, who were ranked 5 in last week's poll.
Daylen scored 17 and pulled down 9 rebounds in the 20-point win over D-South which sets up a ThunderDome showdown Saturday vs. GW for the city title!
"Our team is getting better game by game," said Kountz.
East has a game Monday and we didn't want Kountz looking too far ahead, but he added, "The game against GW will be hard fought and I think it will come down to who does the little things down the stretch."
Daylen is excited for his future as a Buff but is focused on finishing out his tenure as an Angel first: "I want our team to remain humble and just take it one game at a time heading into the playoffs."
Always impressed with this young man's calm demeanor and perspective on the game. Thanks for the "chat," Daylen!
- Trent Dykema must not have been happy after Silver Creek's loss to Longmont and promptly took it out on Niwot in a stellar 35 point, 5 rebound, 5 steal, 2 assist night in 30 point win!
- 5A top-10 action Saturday and the Wolves come out on top.
- Senior Luke Johnson with 23 points for streaking Longmont who drubbed Summit by 40...
- Golden is a strong No. 4 in 4A right now and Adam Thistlewood shined again with a 29 point, 10 rebound double-double in the Demons 19-point win over Littleton.
- Another 4A senior, Jeremy Randle, stepped up with 23 points for No. 6 Valor Christian in 10-point win over Wheatridge.
- Demarious Carey led four Spartans in double figure scoring for No. 10 Doherty who poured it on Palmer down south.
The Look Ahead
Monday, Feb. 12
- Longmont is hot & faces Northridge.
- Mountain View scouting report: Defend Dykema of Silver Creek!
- GW tunes up for city title vs. North.
- Denver East tunes up for city title vs. West.
Tuesday, Feb. 13
- Pueblo East/Pueblo West rematch!
- Holy Family & Mead always a battle.
- Green Mountain tries to slow Golden.
- Pomona/Arvada West, Jeffco...
- Northglenn vs. Rangeview.
- No. 1 Pueblo South vs. Pueblo Centennial.
- Evergreen & Valor in 4A top 10 action!
Wednesday, Feb. 14
- Cupid not invited when Longmont & Thompson Valley battle!
- Centaurus vs. Silver Creek.
- Rock Canyon vs. Castle View.
- Grandview faces Creek in Centennial.
- Regis & Chaparral, good Continental stuff...
- Lewis-Palmer vs. Air Academy down south.
- Smoky Hill & Eaglecrest "watch yo' head"
- ThunderRidge & Ponderosa closes our night!
Thursday, Feb. 15
- Valor hosts Standley Lake.
- Widefield looks to keep rollin vs. Canon City.
- Bear Creek/Pomona, Jeffco!
- 4A Top-10: Golden & Evergreen...
Friday, Feb. 16
- Regis closes vs. Heritage.
- Falcon, Discovery Canyon southern action...
- Overland & Arap.
- Lots on the Line! Top 3 Match T-Ridge/Rock Canyon!
- Smoky Hill vs. Creek...finish strong!
- Lewis Palmer vs. Palmer Ridge.
- Chap needs to take DougCo to league tie shot.
- Doherty vs. Fountain Fort Carson.
- Pueblo South looks to cont. the run vs. P. East.
Saturday, Feb. 17
- City Title! GW & East get it on for all the marbles...
- Longmont vs. Skyline.
- Fort Collins in rare late non league vs. The Bellos (FNE)
Well, well, well hoops fans! Our big school 5A/4A boys have treated us to quite a season and we know this final week won't disappoint. Enjoy!