We predicted an exciting end to the week in our mid-week report on "brutal league play" but even our Fever Crew underestimated the electric atmosphere that surrounded the Continental league battle for the top spot between Chaparral and previously unbeaten Rock Canyon.
What game sells out at 3:30 p.m. for a 7:00 p.m. start time? Yes, the sign of our big school ball getting really good and student/community support on a high! Oh, it will get better come March.
Let's see how the rest of the week played out:
The Look Back
Thursday, Feb. 1
- Malik Fofaana scored 16 for the Warriors but Montbello couldn't stand up to Denver South's team effort where everyone scored at least 6 points or more led by soph D. Carter's 12...balanced Rebels!
- Tylor Trinh kicked in 14 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists in Monarch's neighborly rivalry 5-point win over Boulder.
- Vista Peak jumped out 10-5 in the first quarter and won by seven never relinquishing the lead vs. visiting Thornton.
- Senior DeMarious Carey was "stat-stuffin" 26 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals in hot Doherty's win over Pine Creek.
Friday, Feb. 2
- Our digital media "guru", Ryan Casey, was all over the most electric atmosphere of the year so far in No. 3 Chaparral hosting unbeaten No. 1 Rock Canyon. Even without one of their stars the Wolverines jumped on junior Ronnie DeGray III's 27 point, 11 rebound effort to win big
- The Fever Crew got out to Jeffco land where our guy Dennis Pleuss fully has his hand on the pulse! Valor visiting No. 3 Golden certainly didn't disappoint and Adam Thistlewood's crew stepped up while he faced a little foul trouble. Thistlewood is as good/smooth as advertised and really like Joe Madsen's inside work as the Demon's strong man. Skapich has a nice touch and solid ball control running the show for Valor. Good 4A ball!
- No. 4 Longmont cruised over Niwot.
- Things are tight in the ever tough Centennial league and Grandview is keeping its pace.
- Lewis-Palmer is priming for a late run behind the combo of Joel Scott and Matthew Ragsdale (26 on this night).
- Pueblo Central put up a tough test vs. No. 1 Pueblo South but lost by 8, 49-41 ... check out Brandon Martin's highlights here.
- CU Buff-bound Daylen Kountz came up one rebound short of a double-double scoring 23 points and pulling down 9 rebounds for Denver East who pulled away from DPL rival Lincoln by 27!
- Quite a scoring fest for Silver Creek and Greeley Central who combined for 150 total points in the Raptors 10-point win. Trent Dykema again scored more than 20 points and was joined by Nick Eaton's 21 in the win.
- Looking for a "30 piece?" ... senior Kaison Hammonds for one-loss 5A No. 2 ThunderRidge has it for you and he added 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals "stat-stuffin" the Grizzlies to a 22-point road win at Highlands Ranch.
- Regis got a late scare from Legend but Sam Bannec's 15 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists helped the Raiders hold on for a tight 55-53 win.
- Pierre Taylor's 17 points and 70% shooting from the field lifted Pueblo West to a 16-point win over Pubelo County.
- Chase Rogers led four Evergreen players in double figure scoring as they pulled away from Littleton by 34.
Saturday, Feb. 3
- Highlands Ranch bounced back from the home loss to T-Ridge with a rare late season match with Denver South. The Falcons rode Brendan Sullivan's 20 points per game to the 12-point victory.
- Eaglecrest is just outside our top 10 but still receiving votes. They closed the week with an 11-point win over Arapahoe. Warriors take the loss but have nice highlights!
- Aaron Bokol with 15 points for the Raptors in the win.
- Liberty has a couple votes in our poll and flexed their 5A muscle vs. 4A No. 5 Pueblo West winning by 12 behind Moz Doria's 13 points!
- One loss Longmont closed another strong week shutting down Rocky Mountain by 23, 63-40 at home. Longmont 15-1 and a strong 4A No. 4 right now.
- Make it another strong statement win in Centennial play for Smoky Hill who may be hitting their stride at the right time. A 16-point win over a hot Overland squad is no small feat.
- Stud "two-sport" star Marcel Darby is leading No. 1 Pueblo South at 18 points, 6 rebounds per game and they needed it vs. 5A Pine Creek winning 63-54. Colts looking to prove they deserve that No. 1 spot!
The Look Ahead
Monday, Feb. 5
- Mesa Ridge vs. Elizabeth: someone gets win 13!
- Denver South & Kennedy in the city...
- Lincoln vs. Montbello in more DPL.
- Watch out Spartans (TJ), here comes GW!
Tuesday, Feb. 6
- ThunderRidge/Chap in the Continental!
- Longmont back in action vs. Greeley Central.
- Castle View/Highlands Ranch, Continental.
- Liberty vs. Rampart down south!
- Hey Doherty...The East Angels are headed your way!
- Windsor/Holy Family always a "bang"...
- Umm...Uhhh...Legend; Rock Canyon will be ready to play!
- No. 1 Pueblo South vs. Pueblo County.
- Silver Creek & Thompson Valley!
- Regis & Mountain Vista - Continental....
- Lewis-Palmer vs. Cheyenne Mountain, southern action.
Wednesday, Feb. 7
- D'Evelyn & Valor: Round 2!
- Evergreen lookin to run again vs. Wheat Ridge.
- Smoky Hill & Mullen, Centennial Home&Away!
- Grandview/Eaglecrest, Centennital too...
- Golden & Standley Lake, Jeffco.
- Southern? Falcon & Sand Creek.
Thursday, Feb. 8
- Thomas Jefferson & "Da Bellos" (FNE) in DPL.
- Lewis-Palmer vs. Discovery Canyon I-25 South!
- Top 4A Spot? Longmont vs. Silver Creek!
- Rampart & Doherty "braggin rights"...
Friday, Feb. 9
- Liberty vs. Pine Creek.
- Cherry Creek & Eagle Crest!
- PARKER PRIDE: Chap vs. Legend...RUMBLE!
- Rock Canyon vs. Highlands Ranch, Continental.
- REMATCH: Pueblo at it's best: No. 1 South vs. West!
- ThunderRidge/Mountain Vista: Grizzlies are Rollin!
Saturday, Feb. 10
- D-South & Denver East ThunderDome Action!
- Littleton tries to test Golden!
- Evergreen vs. Green Mountain.
- BearCreek/Chatfield Jeffco...
- Longmont vs. Summit.
- Thornton vs. Rangeview EMAC
- Centennial Tough! Grandview/Overland!
- Doherty/Palmer, southern Saturday.
- Valor & Wheat Ridge close the week...
We are in the third quarter, folks. The final stretch is approaching ... get out and enjoy all you can!