Hoop Fans! We are at our end of January mid-week report and this is the thick of league play.
Our early action proved, if nothing else, that you must bring your "hard hat" every night...meaning that if you look past an opponent our state's big school parity will make you pay!
As much as our Fever Crew enjoyed the early week action...we have some "end of week" bouts that will put an explanation point on the season thus far. Before we get there — let's see how it all sets up:
The Look Back
Monday, Jan. 29
- A familiar name, Trent Dykema of No. 7 Silver Creek in our new coaches poll, once again impressed with 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 steals! He was joined by fellow senior C. Warner who had 13 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists in the win over Littleton. Senior Jason Levy scored 22 in the loss for the Loins.
- Mesa Ridge held on to the No. 10 4A spot this week but ran into Classical Academy on their court losing by 5 and senior Jason Belcher's 22 points led four Titans in double digit scoring for the upset. Check out the video recap here.
- Still without senior leader Sindou Cisse, Montbell (FNE) was able to bounce back from bad loss to East by landing on their feet vs. Denver West 80-54 with senior Malik Fofaana scoring 19.
- How about four seniors in double figure scoring led by Brendan LaRose's 24 as Falcon stepped into Cheyenne Mountain and romped by 25!
- Elizabeth dropped from our 4A poll and then started the week with a tough 1-point loss to Sierra and junior E. Whitmore score 14 points along with 9 rebounds in the win for the Stallions.
- Daylen Kountz leads 14 Angels in the scoring column as they cruised Monday night.
Tuesday, Jan. 30
- The "big cat" on campus Jaguars remain unbeaten and No. 1 setting up a HUGE Friday night Continental clash with Chaparral. Sam Masten with 21 and junior J Eikenburg 15 in the win.
- Egloff and Saffiediene combine for 31 to propel No. 8 Regis over Douglas County.
- Silver Creek, holding steady at No. 7, came out strong this week with a 77-43 win at home over Niwot. Holding Niwot to 10 halftime points equals a blowout like that!
- Longmont, 4A No. 4, was in a defensive mood too holding Mountain View to single digits in two quarters winning by 14.
- Five players in double figure scoring led by stud Kaison Hammonds' 19 helped T-Ridge run away from Heritage by more than 40!
- We see you young soph Darius Hornbuckle! He stepped up big for the Spartans in the league win over Lincoln scoring 21 points and pulling down 5 rebounds from the guard spot.
- Pueblo West, now No. 5, refused to make it three losses in a row and took down Pueblo Central by 29 despite Pierre Taylor's 26 points, 11 rebounds for Central.
- Highlands Ranch, just outside of our 5A top 10, rode Brendan Sullivan's 22 point, 8 rebound average to a 63-50 win over Ponderosa.
- Anyone drop a "c-note"? You can find it at Kennedy HS where the GW Patriots dropped 100 POINTS and Xavier Cooper rocked a "monsta" double-double of 29 points and 10 rebounds. FRESHMAN ALERT: our guy Kendale Johnson scored 16 in the win as well.
- Doherty is fully cementing their spot in the 5A top to and this 27-point win over Coronado with senior Joe Golden scoring 19 which led three in double figures.
- Two sport stud Marcell Barbee is leading our new No. 1 in 4A in points, rebounds, and steals. This night he made sure there was no let down after last week's big wins leading the Colts to a 23-point win over Pueblo East.
Wednesday, Jan. 31
- We heard doubters about this Overland squad when they first joined the top 10 with a losing record but folks must not have paid attention to the road these Blazers traveled! They are now No. 6 and 11-7 after beating Cherry Creek by a convincing 29 with Daijon Smith scoring 15.
- How do you win by 30, 56-26???? Well, if you're No. 2 Lewis Palmer you pull out the defense and hold Vista Ridge to a 6-point second half!
- Senior Alex Tellis EXPLODED for 31 points but it wasn't enough to stop No. 6 Valor from passing another road test 76-67.
- Evergreen, No. 9 in 4A this week, is led by Bridger Tenney in points, rebounds, steals, and blocks! The young man is "stat-stuffin!" and helped the Cougars get a solid road win at D'Evelyn!
- Smoky Hill is back in the 5A top 10 at the final spot and our Fever Crew felt they could "leave no doubt" in a Centennial game at Cherokee Trail to prove they belong there. They did just that going into the Cougars house and laying down a 31-point beat down!
- Big Man Dayne Prim leads in points and rebounds for No. 7 Grandview who went into Arap's Sitting Eagle Gym - a tough spot to win — and earned a 16-point decision.
- Mesa Ridge, No. 10 in 4A, closes our mid-week action but they ran into a 19 point effort from Tre Pierre along with 18 from TJ Davis and Widefield gets the win by 7!
MANY leagues continue to prove to be BRUTAL. You have to bring your "hard hat" and "A-Game" each night out.
As in any state, we see our blowouts pretty regularly but for the most part we have some nice parity at the top of each league in our big school ball.
Can't wait to see how the remaining action in Week 8 plays out...and did we mention a little Continental action between unbeaten Rock Canyon at Chaparral Friday night?
Want high-level, big-school ball? Get there!