If you like to eat your breakfast with a spoon (as opposed to drinking it through a straw), what better way to start your day than with this cool, nutrient-rich breakfast? Smoothie bowls have endless possibilities depending on your taste preferences. All you need is a good blender, a bowl and spoon, and your ingredients and toppings of choice.
In a blender, combine:
- ½ - 1 cup frozen fruit: Try frozen mixed berries, mangos, cherries, or another frozen fruit favorite.
- Fresh fruits or vegetables: You might consider ½ to 1 whole fresh banana. The banana adds a nice creaminess to your smoothie bowl. The riper the banana, the sweeter it will be. Or try adding a handful of kale or baby spinach, some roasted beets or fresh peaches.
- ¼ - ½ cup milk plus ½ - 1 cup vanilla Greek-style yogurt – OR – ½ to 1 cup kefir
- Other ingredients of your choosing: Perhaps 1 Tablespoon chia sees, a spoonful of nut butter, a sprinkle of flaxseeds or a scoop of whey protein powder.
Blend until smooth and creamy and pour in a bowl. Play around with the amount of milk/yogurt or kefir, keeping in mind that the thicker the smoothie, the easier it is to eat with a spoon.
A smoothie bowl is not complete without the toppings. Try fresh or dried fruit, a sprinkle of granola, nuts, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, unsweetened shredded coconut, crushed graham crackers or a few chocolate chips. Let your creativity inspire you!
Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie Bowl
- ½ or 1 whole frozen banana
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 to 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Splash of milk
Place frozen banana, yogurt, oats, cocoa powder, peanut butter and milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour in a serving bowl. Garnish with toppings of choice.