Hoop fans! We are settling into the early season quite nicely and the eyebrow-raising performances continue.
The week started with two opponents combining for 88 in the same game and our No. 1 squad in the state headed off to California.
The Look Back
Monday, Dec. 11
- If someone ordered up a "50-piece," Jaedon Bowles of Manual High School has your order ready! Ryan Casey covered the explosive scoring night from both squads on Monday.
- Horizon came in with only one loss and used a 30-point fourth quarter to almost pull off the comeback but Mountain Range got 22 points and 5 rebounds from Brandon Romero to seal the 3-point victory.
- Cherry Creek defense stood up in the fourth quarter of this one to hold Monarch to only 7 points en route to a 22-point win with young soph Sebastian Cole leading the way with 18!
- This was wasn't on our radar but the Spartans stepped up at home beating Valor by 2. Young soph Darius Hornbuckle scored 15 and big man Logan Cecil led with 18.
- Silver Creek, up to No. 4 now in our 4A poll, trounced Standley Lake with senior Trent Dykema scoring 27.
- Tremendous balance on display for Eaglecrest who beat Boulder out west by 20 points with no one scoring in double digits! Total team effort.
- Valley (of Gilcrest) traveled in to face Aurora Central and the Trojans were unfriendly hosts winning by 36! Junior Kaleb Atherly scored 18 in the win.
Tuesday, Dec. 12
- The Fever Crew "gas'd up the pacer" and headed out to Columbine hosting Liberty on this night. This was the tale of Liberty's veterans vs. Columbine's youth! Moz Doria's 18 points and Jacob Burns 11 (huge fourth quarter for both seniors) helped get the Lancers the road win. The Rebels have a bright future with a trio of sophomores contributing in a major way on varsity led by Luke O'Brian who scored 24 in the loss.
- It's been a while since the Lions won this neighborhood battle but don't look now! Littleton is 5-1 and senior Jason Levy scored 27 points in the close 3-point win.
- Rough start for Rocky Mountain but Dennis Pluess covers how they're starting to turn it around with win over A-West.
- Longmont comes in at No. 9 in 4A this week and start with a 22-point win over Centaurus.
- Lewis-Palmer is our new 4A No. 1 and continue their hot streak taking down Vista Peak by double digits with Joel Scott locking in a "30-piece" of 33 points!
- Our Fever Crew is expecting big things from this Chaparral team and we have them ranked high! Another 20-plus night for Ronnie DeGray III at Arapahoe which is not an easy place to pull off a 15-point win!
- Speaking of "30-piece's", ThunderRidge is No. 5 this week and beat Lakewood 81-51 in the lopsided win.
- Another "don't look now!", but Ponderosa is undefeated and got another double digit win over Sand Creek this night.
- D'Evelyn by 13 over Thompson Valley...
- Douglas County and Mullen both looking to build new b'ball cultures and the Huskies protected home court by 10 with junior Brendan Temple clocking 20 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists!
- 4A No. 6, Pueblo West, traveled to 5A Lincoln and pulled off a close 2-point win and senior Pierre Taylor led the way with 18 points.
- Holy Family is now our No. 5 squad in 4A and they won a nice non league challenge vs. 5A Sierra 54-47. Derrian Reed again scored 27 but it wasn't enough for the Stallions.
- In true Regis Raider "balanced" fashion they had 5 players score in double figures in the home win over Fort Collins where Tama Tuitele and Matt Wheelock didn't miss a shot...perfect from the field!
- Pueblo South continues their early roll (ranked No. 3 in 4A) and beat Falcon by 12 points largely due to a 25-8 third quarter advantage. Two-sport stud Marcel Barbee scored 30 points in the win and our guy Jon Miller caught this amazing dunk!
Ladies and gentlemen
Meet Pueblo Souths very own
Marcell Barbee pic.twitter.com/CMVEGUpohc
— Jon Miller (@J_Mills78) December 13, 2017
Wednesday, Dec. 13
- The big one of the night, possible Game of the Week candidate, was No. 4 GW visiting No. 3 Smoky Hill. Smoky returning from a nice run in Great Western Shootout/Utah and GW who lost early to No. 1 Rock Canyon but no losses since. Great to see Kenny Foster back on the floor for Smoky after an injury in Utah for the Buffs and his 15 was matched by young point guard Quentin Rock's 15 to lead Smoky to the home win. We might see these two again late season! John Harge submitted a "POSTER" dunk and added 13 points for the Buffaloes.
- Our state's No. 1 team has safely landed in California for the "Pacifica Clash on the Coast" and their first draw was the Yellowjackets from Oxnard. The Jags pulled off another close win 51-48 in the tourney opener. With poised seniors like Sam Masten and Tyson Gilbert it's no mystery that the Jags are "clutch" in late game situations. Will be fun to follow how they progress! Sam Masten averaging 21 per game so far...
- Legacy came in unbeaten but it was Brighton who improved to 4-1 after a big 65-42 win!
- Vista Peak got a much needed 16 point win over Centaurus.
- Senior Lucas Rosen scored 14 for Green Mountain but not enough for No. 9 Longmont who won by 19 on the strength of a 21-12 first quarter.
- No. 4 SIlver Creek is playing a fast paced form of ball and it took them to 3-0 with the 67-60 win over Erie.
- Cherokee Trail is relying on two seniors heavily this year and that veteran leadership led in the win over young Rangeview. Seniors Deon Barfield, 10 points, and fellow senior Tyson Rodgers scored 16 for the Cougars.
- Our Ball Fever beloved Warriors were in need of a win and glad to see Coach Jansen's Arapahoe crew bounce back with a 63-56 win over Arvada West in Sitting Eagle gym!
It sounds cliche but there are some high-level hoops being played early in our state. Ultra impressed with the underclassmen contributing so soon on the varsity court!
"Props" to our entire hoops community of trainers, clubs, feeder teams, and JV/Freshman programs for that! The hard work is being witnessed on the floor and what our teams are doing out of state.
Don't want to jump too far ahead but we have almost 10 teams traveling out-of-state next week and can't wait to see how they fare.
Tonight? It's cold, weather is a factor, but I bet that Lewis-Palmer gym will be "72 and Sunny" as No. 1 Lewis-Palmer's Joel Scott battles No. 3 Pueblo South's Marcel Barbee!