Welcome back, hoop fans! We are excited to get Season 9 of Ball Fever started with the expert assistance of the "Digital Media Guru" Ryan Casey!
Our state is once again loaded with talent, stand out teams, and some sure surprises on the way in our big school 5A/4A boys hoops. Let's get right to the Week 1 action ...
Wednesday, Nov. 29
- The Fever Crew got the season started at the Rock Canyon/Mountain Vista tournament where our CHSAA 5A No. 3 squad George Washington got things started vs. Rampart. The Rams started strong surprising the Patriots with an 18-11 first quarter advantage. Hawaii commit 6-foot-11 Dawson Carper scored 12 and senior Josh Kavalec 18 but not enough as the Patriots turned up the defensive intensity with senior D'Auntray Pierce blocking numerous shots and soph Devin Carter bringing energy on both ends of the floor leading GW in scoring. FRESHMAN ALERT!: Keep an eye and ear out for Kendale Johnson Jr. of the Patriots. Scored 8 points in his freshman debut and if the roster didn't read "FR" no one would know it.
- Our 4A No. 4 Lewis Palmer, ruined the "Return of Ranson" on opening night.
- Denver East will call on Daylen Kountz, CU Boulder commit, and junior Kwane Marble heavily this year and they didn't disappoint scoring 24 and 14 points respectively as the Angels show out early beating Vista Ridge by 28 in tournament play.
- It took an 18-0 late run for Douglas County to chase the Chargers!
- Arapahoe started off FAST 17-2 in first quarter and held off tough Monarch behind 14 points from Denzel Valerio in tournament play.
- Aurora Central was down 10 early to Skyline but 18 points from junior Jayden Robinson helped the Trojans start 1-0 with the 64-59 win.
- How about 11 players in the scoring column and 3 scoring double figures for 4A preseason No. 3 Pueblo West who rolled to a 82-64 win over Harrison.
- The Coach Bob Caton era has begun at Mullen with a nice win over Lincoln for the Mustangs. Junior Christian Davis was "en fuego!" from deep draining 7-8 three pointers for the Mustangs in the 85-79 win.
- Two veteran, senior heavy squads got their season started in Fort Collins as Denver South visited for tourney play. The Sabercats pull of the tight 2 point win behind Ben Weiner's 15 points. Senior Courtney Dean scored 15 as well for the Rebels.
- Our preseason 5A No. 2 Smoky Hill came out strong behind their big men John Harge (15 points) and Will Becker (17 points) beating Brighton 70-38.
- ThunderRidge starting the season in out-of-state California play take down Ocean View (CA) 73-64. The Fever Crew reports that coaches from UC Santa Barbara were in to view senior guard Kaison Hammonds and he didn't disappoint scoring 19 in the win!
- Preseason No. 1 Rock Canyon scored 68 in their first win and Mountain Vista a humming 92 in easy wins round one of the Mountain Vista/Rock Canyon tourney. Could we see these two in the finals Saturday?
Thursday, Nov. 30
- The D'Evelyn/Golden Preview Classic brought us a 4A top 5 match up in week 1 and Dennis Pleuss took in the late-game heroics!
- Looking for a lead point guard? Look no further than Jodaun Dotson, junior at Rangeview, who scored 19 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds in the Raiders opening win over Mesa Ridge in the Highlands Ranch tourney.
- No. 5 ThunderRidge moves to 2-0 in Cali with an easy 50 point win over Pacifica Christian where Kaison Hammonds scored 25!
- Our 4A No. 2 squad Pueblo South missing some stud football players didn't let that bother them opening with 17 point win over Mountain View.
- Gateway with a solid tournament win out west at Grand Junction Central...check the highlights here
- Junior guard Matthew Ragsdale scored 25 points, including 3-7 from three point land, in No. 4 Lewis Palmers win over D'Evelyn by 19.
Friday, Dec. 1
- Top-10 Alert! No. 7 Regis holds court vs. visiting Overland.
- Isaiah Robinson poured in 18 points for Palmer but not enough to take down the Tigers...Lakewood wins 73-65.
- Rampart bounces back as big man Dawson Carper scores 19 points with 5 rebounds in the tight win over Liberty.
- Looking for balance? How about three Coyotes scoring 18 points each in Monarch's win over Loveland. Junior Nate Pontejos hit 4 three-pointers as part of his 18!
- The defending champ Raptors come in at No. 9 in our preseason poll and even without some top guys still playing football, they pull off the win over Mesa Ridge due to senior Morgan Brown's 14 points, 6 rebounds.
- Mead earned some votes in our preseason poll and showed well vs. Lewis Palmer but Joel Scott's 19 points paced the Rangers to the win.
- Impressed by Coach Ezekiel Ocansey and the new Northfield Nighthawks taking on a 5A non conference opponent early in the season. Jayden Robinson scored 18 in the Aurora Central win but "props" to Northfield for going on the road in 5A!
- A lot of "pub" in the off season for Montbello (FNE) senior Sindou Cisse and he helped the Warriors to an early season tournament win over Dakota Ridge scoring 16 points, with 8 rebounds, and 4 assists!
- Impressive for a young Boulder team to have their two leading scorers as sophomores who led the team to 55-50 comeback win on the road at Chatfield.
- Senior Justin McCaw scored 11 for the Grizzlies as ThunderRidge continues the "California Roll" beating JSierra Catholic by 13.
- Spotted our first "30-piece" as Derrian Reed scored 36, including 7-10 from three point land, for Sierra but it wasn't enough as Falcon held on with Reece Warren scoring 21 of his own.
- Chaparral opens the season as No. 8 in our preseason poll but look for them to rise behind star junior Ronnie DeGray III who scored 25 points in the season opener vs. Fairview. Look for explosive "catch a body" plays from DeGray.
- No. 5 Holy Family gave Golden a real scare to start season and followed up with a 3-point comeback win over D'Evelyn.
- No. 2 Pueblo West got a home game at the Air Force Academy and ran up 80 points vs. Air Academy for another early season win.
- We ended last season saying watch out for the tandem of Sam Masten and Tyson Gilbert's hunger leading them back to the Coliseum! In their host tournament they didn't disappoint in semifinal blowout 75-50 of George Washington. Masten with 21 and Gilbert 18 in the home win.
- Late tourney action up north and junior Kwane Marble led the Angels on this night with 19 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists to cap the win over Fossil Ridge.
- Solid tournament win for Glenwood Springs over Vista Peak! Senior Aaron Smith poured in 21!
Saturday, Dec. 2
- Ryan Casey all over Coach Kevin Boley's 400th win as Legend gets another early one...
- Gateway ran off two solid wins out west in tournament play but then ran into Fruita Monument who out paced them 73-53.
- Our guys over at Littleton off to 2-0 start with 20-point win over Kennedy.
- Another "30-piece" sighting from sophomore Luke O'Brian for Columbine but not enough to get the Rebels over the hump on Lincoln who won by 3 in overtime!
- We mentioned Kendale Johnson Jr. in the previous "FRESHMAN ALERT" and he paced the Patriots with 9 points in their low scoring duel over Arapahoe. Good bounce back for GW after big loss to Rock Canyon.
- The Fever Crew got over to Highlands Ranch for our weekend live action! FRESHMAN ALERT: heard the name Simental before? Yes, there's a good looking freshman Jason Simental for the Falcons who stepped right onto the varsity court and looked solid scoring 8 points but the Falcons couldn't hold off smooth, lead point guard Jodan Dotson (14 points) and big man Ryan Ongala of Rangeview who scored 14 of his own on the inside. The Raiders are young but with youth and leader on the inside like Ongala they'll be just fine!
- It took overtime for Fossil Ridge to top Dakota Ridge in an exciting tourney tilt up north and B. Lambrecht, a senior, scored 14 in the win!
- Eaglecrest came up just short in 5A football but the hoops squad left no doubt on final tourney day whooping Lakewood 60-34.
- Juniors Earl Boykin and Brendan Temple helping Douglas County get off to a nice start of the season beating Coronado by 20!
- DPL foes traveled to Fort Collins to play a tourney final as Denver East outlasted Montbello (FNE) 67-54. The respective "big 4" for these two schools didn't disappoint and Cisse and Fofana scored 17 each for the Warriors but not enough to match the 24 from Daylen Kountz and 19 from Angel's Kwane Marble.
- Even with top players winning a state football title on Saturday Pueblo South still pushed through for an impressive 71-63 win over Mead.
- Annual battle of the "private schools" and Regis continues their dominance of late on the court with a 71-57 win at Mullen. Seniors Elijah Martinez (24) and Sam Bannec (14) took the scoring lead along with junior Mat Wheelock who added 13 for the Raiders.
- Absolutely no let down for No. 1 Rock Canyon after the 25-point win over GW in semifinal tourney play as they handed Mountain Vista their first loss by 19 points behind Sam Masten's game leading 26!
- Junior Joel Scott ensured some shake up in our 4A poll this week as Lewis Palmer closes out an excellent week 1 beating No. 1 Golden 67-54. Scott with 18 points in the tourney win on the road!
- Nice to finish this week up with a Colorado squad going undefeated at a national tourney! ThunderRidge, 4-0 in California, were paced by seniors Kaison Hammonds and Justin McCaw along the way. Hammonds averaged 17 points per game along the way! Looking forward to seeing these guys in CO...
The Look Ahead
Monday, Dec. 4
- Denver East is hot early taking on Sierra in Fairview Festival!
- Denver South and Arvada West tangle in same tourney.
- Grandview opening up vs. Brighton at home.
- Pomona travels to Adams City.
- If you need some 8pm action Fairview and Hinkley is where it's at!
Tuesday, Dec. 5
- Chatfield and Monarch both looking for early confidence!
- Montbello (FNE) and Manual...ol skool DPL foes!
- 4A No. 1 Golden takes on a 5A challenge vs. Fossil Ridge.
- Pueblo West vs. Cheyenne Mountain down south.
- The city's coming to "FOCO" as GW visits Poudre.
- Rangeview looking to stay undefeated vs. Dakota Ridge.
- No. 1 Rock Canyon visits Eaglecrest in a "Fever game of the week" candidate tilt!
- Niwot vs. Holy Family bout.
Wednesday, Dec. 6
- Cherry Creek and Valor get season's started at Chap tourney!
- Lincoln vs. Doherty will be fun at T-Ridge kickoff.
- D'Evelyn vs. Mead likely coming down to final minutes.
- Rocky Mountain has tough test in Chap!
- Grandview another tough non league visit from Mountain Vista.
- Grand Junction will be T-Ridge's first in-state test!
Thursday, Dec. 7
- Sand Creek vs. Mesa Ridge.
- Vista Peak vs. Falcon.
- Smoky Hill faces unbeaten TimpView in Utah!
- Rock Canyon at Overland is top 10 excellent non league ball!
- Cheyenne Mountain vs. Liberty.
- Widefield vs. Pueblo South!
- Rampart vs. Montbello sounds good.
- Boulder, 3-0 vs. tough Mountain Vista.
- Longmont vs. Golden sweet 4A action!
- Regis takes the show to CA vs. St Pat/St Vincent.
Friday, Dec. 8
- Columbine visits Heritage.
- Legend vs. Monarch.
- GW at Overland will be rockin!
- Golden vs. Conifer.
- Eaglecrest vs. Chatfield.
- Grandview vs. Rangeview in an A-Town battle!
- Smoky Hill vs. another unbeaten - Wasach Academy in UT!
Saturday, Dec. 9
- D'Evelyn vs. Longmont.
- Castleview vs. Fort Collins.
- Sand Creek vs. Pueblo South in nice 719 action!
- Liberty vs. Highlands Ranch.
- Windsor vs. Greeley West.
- Hinkley vs. Douglas County closes us out!
Nothing like week 1 excitement, folks! Can't wait to catch more action this week...enjoy!