LAKEWOOD — Valor Christian punched its ticket to a key game in the Class 4A baseball tournament on Monday. Evergreen and Thompson Valley were trying to do the same before rain rolled into All-Star Park and caused play to be suspended.
The Cougars led the Eagles 2-0 with two outs in the bottom of the sixth before the field at All-Star Park was left unplayable because of the rain. By the time the teams left the stadium, there was standing water on the infield.
And so the 4A portion of the bracket that was to be played at All-Star Park on Tuesday will now move to Metro State.
The schedule is below. All times are approximate after the first game, because they depend on when the prior game finishes:
- 10 a.m. — Rocky Mountain and Mountain Vista finish their game that was suspended in the 5A tournament.
- 10:30 a.m. — Evergreen and Thompson Valley will resume their game from 4A. Evergreen leads 2-0 with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- 11:30 a.m. — Pueblo West vs. Thomas Jefferson in 4A.
- 2 p.m. — The loser of the 10:30 a.m. game will play the winner of the 11:30 a.m. game.
- 4:30 p.m. — The winner of the 10:30 a.m. game will play Valor Christian.
The 4A games on the other side of the bracket will remain at Machebeuf. Those are:
- 10 a.m. — Golden vs. Air Academy.
- 12:30 p.m. — Winner of the 10 a.m. game vs. Silver Creek.
Valor Christian beat Pueblo West 2-1 and Silver Creek 6-3 to advance in the winner's bracket. Evergreen edged Air Academy 1-0, while Thompson Valley rallied to beat Golden 9-8 in the first round.
The 4A tournament was already moved from its original Friday/Saturday schedule by a snow and rain storm on Thursday that left fields unplayable until Monday.
The 4A bracket has been updated to reflect the schedule changes.