Memo sent to schools regarding baseball weather contingencies

(Ryan Casey/CHSAANow.com)

AURORA — As the spring sports world eyes the weather, the CHSAA office communicated a contingency plan to schools participating in the state baseball tournaments on Tuesday.

Forecasts show a high chance of rain on Thursday and Friday, which could lead to unplayable fields at some state tournament sites. Further details on the plan are available below via a memo sent by CHSAA assistant commissioner Bert Borgmann, who oversees baseball.

Note that no final decision on the schedule will be made until Thursday in 2A-5A. Additionally, if one site in a classification is postponed, the entire classification will be postponed.

The Class 1A state title game has already been postponed to Saturday.

We have been weather-watching for the last several days like everyone else. As we look to the State Baseball Championship Series for all classifications, CHSAA will not make determination on any site or games until Thursday afternoon.

We will let you know via email at that time where we stand on Friday’s games. Northern Colorado weather looks to be wet through Friday and then cool through Sunday. Monday has a threat of thunderstorms, so Tuesday looks to be a strong window of opportunity.

Here are the current and long-term contingencies:

1APostponed until Saturday, May 20 at Metro State College, Time TBA

2A – Pueblo Weather looks like the games can be held, so no changes.

3A, 4A, 5A – A decision will be made late Thursday to determine if they can be played on a regular schedule. If any single field is unplayable in these classifications, the entire classification will be postponed. For example, if All-City Field is unavailable due to poor field conditions, all 5A would be postponed.

Please note that we have field availability issues on Sunday for some classifications, so early next week looms as an alternative.

Due to pitch counts and the need for arm safety, we will look to the first available day that looks viable to start and complete the two days needed for Games 1-11 on the schedule. We will make sure that there is appropriate rest for pitchers between Week 1 and Week 2.

The general thought is that with the expected moisture, five of the six fields may be unplayable until Monday at the earliest. We would look at Tuesday and Wednesday (23, 24), followed by Tuesday and Wednesday the next week (30, 31) to complete the tournament. Please make sure that your coaches, players and fans are aware of this possibility.

You will receive additional information as it becomes available.